ABF | DOT Physicals

I was in on Feb 7th of this year, the clinic I went to is enforcing the 34 body mass index rule, my understanding is that ALL clinics will have to enforce it Jan 1, 2014. I am six foot three and I weighed 291.6 lbs when I went in. The doctor said I could only weigh 272 lbs to have a bmi of 34. He gave me two choices, I could get a one year card if I went in and had the sleep test done and got tested for the sleep apnea, or he would give me a ninety day card and I would need to loose the extra 19.6 lbs in the ninety days, at which time he would either send me in for the sleep tests if I had failed to loose the weight or give me the full one year card if I did loose the weight. I took the ninety day card and he explained if I walked about a half hour a day several times a week and kept my calories down to three meals of 660 calories and two snacks of 220 calories, I should be able to loose the weight. Well I walked on a treadmill thirty to forty minutes a day at a pretty brisk pace and I watched my calories six days a week, eating a lot of little cups of fruit and lean cuisine frozen meals and those ninety calorie deserts. I lost the weight in 50 days and went in and got weighed and he gave me the one year card. I have continued to walk and watch my calories and I have now lost a few more pounds and I just got taken off my blood pressure medicine, so next year I hope to get a two year card. He also explained that starting in 2014 all CDL drivers are going to be bar coded and the bar code will be linked to your license with the DOT and they will be able to access your current medical card status from any of the DOT computers. I hope this helps, from a brother over at Holland.

Nope.. if it's you pre-employment physical you may have to take a drug test but if it's a re-cert, no drug test. And if your neck measurement is over a certain number, you may have to get a sleep study done. Other than that, quick & easy.

Thanks for the info 5tolls.Im due in july and im worried about my weight and the sleep apnea part of it.Hopfully I can lose the amount of weight required by then.

There are many sites where you can just put in your height and weight and it will give your BMI... If you are above 30 (like me), that is not healthy...Good luck with your physical.

Above thirty is not healthy, but above thirty four is where they mess with you. Remember the weight is based on your height, so when they measure your height be sure and stand up nice and straight, an extra inch of height will probably give you an extra ten pounds before you are considered obese.

There are many sites where you can just put in your height and weight and it will give your BMI... If you are above 30 (like me), that is not healthy...Good luck with your physical.

The formula is as follows. Weight divided by Height squared (in inches) times 703 equals your body mass index. Here is an example of a man standing 6-feet tall (72-inches) and weighing 250-pounds.
250-lbs. divided by 5184 (72-in. times 72-in.) times 703 = 33.902 BMI. {250/5184 x 703= 33.9 BMI}. I know it sounds confusing, but that is how it is measured.

I bench 450 pounds and shrug 1175
and squat 750
Decline press 500
I weigh 275 to 285 lbs
They don't know what to do with me in DOT physical.
It's only calculated for runners or little guys.

12pack I'm assuming your neck is huge. All you should have to do is pass a sleep study without signs of sleep apnea and you should get a three yr cert. :)

My neck is 19 inches I did a sleep study in 2008 and passed it. Ill probably have to do it again this year. The chart they have considers me obese.