Driver Apprentice/Driver Devp Course

auburn2012

TB Lurker
Credits
Well, ive been turned down by PFG & Sysco due to my less than a year OTR experience.Is their any foodservice companies that have a training program? Should i have lied and told them that i had more than a year otr experience? One of these companies told me that they would probably never check my driving experience and told me just to put something down. He told me they was short on drivers in my area and i could start soon.

Well, ive been turned down by PFG & Sysco due to my less than a year OTR experience.Is their any foodservice companies that have a training program? Should i have lied and told them that i had more than a year otr experience? One of these companies told me that they would probably never check my driving experience and told me just to put something down. He told me they was short on drivers in my area and i could start soon.

Thats a gamble, if you lie and they do check and your caught you will be fired on the spot, at least here at Sysco, we have trained some drivers in Norman because they were hurting bad for people, thats at a warehouse though, I doubt they will train you out of a shuttle yard, I've never seen it done.

You should never lie, you should never "have" to lie, you should never feel like you have to lie, because that would make you a liar.

Our house sends a guy from the warehouse to the CDL mill for two weeks, he gets his license and is trained for two or three weeks and then he's on his own, so that's what we require for experience, but no telling how many months/years the guy had been working/waiting to become a driver. We once hired a guy that had just went to school and had just completed the eight week training with an OTR outfit, no other experience.

Knowing your location helps. GFS gives their driver's helpers 6 months to get their CDL, so going in as helper with a CDL would be beneficial.

Check out the local soda or beer distributors. Turnover (especially with the pop companies) is really high around here so they train a lot of their drivers themselves from either the warehouse or merchandisers. If you have a CDL in hand at least here you wouldn't have any problem getting on. The work sucks but you'll get your time in.

Thanks for the info guys, i`m not going to lie just to get on with any company that`s not my style.
So, i live in North Ala. so if there is any companies who need driver helpers or have a driver training program let me know.
I have all the endorsements and a clean driving record.

we have trained some drivers throughout Norman given that they were hurting damaging people thats for a warehouse even though I doubt they will train you away from a shuttle service yard.

Welcome to TruckingBoards Glamber! Remember, read the rules, and always proof read your posts..LOL, that keeps the self appointed police away!