XPO | Driving in Foul weather conditions

Another tough day today. As I was trying to cross the 7 mile bridge today back into Marathon, the sun was reflecting off of the turquoise water on both sides and it was almost unbearable. When the sun was combined with a 15 MPH cross-wind, it was treacherous. The only thing that kept me going was the watering hole on the other side of the bridge. I almost had to shut'er down.

The Florida Keys do produce some treacherous driving conditions.

See you guy's in about 10 days.. Be safe.

'Safety' at CW only comes into play when there is a problem. Safety is OK as long as it does not interfere with moving the freight or the 'almighty buck'.

At Con-Way there is no such thing as a non-preventable accident. If I have witnessed this personally and we have all read posts from others who have experienced some form of this.

Our 'safety dept.' is staffed with idiots. These are people who have no clue on the requirements and conditions of our jobs. They are totally in the dark as to what it takes to drive a truck. You will be at fault regardless of the circumstance. They hide behind the old adage of you are 'professional drivers' and use that excuse to give the driver an LOI.

This reminds me of a time back in I think 2000. We had a bad ice storm in AR. I was working for USF Dugan in Little Rock. We had a driver forced out in that mess early in the PM. hours. He refused to run and they said if you want to keep your job you will run.
Well, he ran and somewhere between Little Rock and Memphis he got tangled up with one of your drivers (some of you may remember that one)and both ended up in the median.
He was given a week off without pay. They told him that it was a preventable and there was no such thing as a non preventable.
A couple months later, our TM was out making customer calls (nice warm and sunny day)and a car smashed into the side of his company car.
When we saw the car, we asked him what happened and he said "a car came from out of nowhere and plowed into him"
We asked "why didn't you avoid it?". And of coarse he said that there was nothing he could do.
Well, you know what happened next! That’s right! He was hit up with his own words "there’s no such thing as a non preventable."
It was great! Watching him dance and stumble for words and the look on his face was priceless!!!!!!!!!!!! :nutkick:

By the way, he didn't get punished. Go figure

Another tough day today. As I was trying to cross the 7 mile bridge today back into Marathon, the sun was reflecting off of the turquoise water on both sides and it was almost unbearable. When the sun was combined with a 15 MPH cross-wind, it was treacherous. The only thing that kept me going was the watering hole on the other side of the bridge. I almost had to shut'er down.

The Florida Keys do produce some treacherous driving conditions.

See you guy's in about 10 days.. Be safe.

One of my favorite places in the whole world is the Florida keys. I grew up about two hours North of there in Broward County. I would travel to the Keys often.
When your in Islamaroda go to the Tiki Bar and have one of there world famous Rum Runners for me.

'Safety' at CW only comes into play when there is a problem. Safety is OK as long as it does not interfere with moving the freight or the 'almighty buck'.

At Con-Way there is no such thing as a non-preventable accident. If I have witnessed this personally and we have all read posts from others who have experienced some form of this.

Our 'safety dept.' is staffed with idiots. These are people who have no clue on the requirements and conditions of our jobs. They are totally in the dark as to what it takes to drive a truck. You will be at fault regardless of the circumstance. They hide behind the old adage of you are 'professional drivers' and use that excuse to give the driver an LOI.

This reminds me of a time back in I think 2000. We had a bad ice storm in AR. I was working for USF Dugan in Little Rock. We had a driver forced out in that mess early in the PM. hours. He refused to run and they said if you want to keep your job you will run.
Well, he ran and somewhere between Little Rock and Memphis he got tangled up with one of your drivers (some of you may remember that one)and both ended up in the median.
He was given a week off without pay. They told him that it was a preventable and there was no such thing as a non preventable.
A couple months later, our TM was out making customer calls (nice warm and sunny day)and a car smashed into the side of his company car.
When we saw the car, we asked him what happened and he said "a car came from out of nowhere and plowed into him"
We asked "why didn't you avoid it?". And of coarse he said that there was nothing he could do.
Well, you know what happened next! That’s right! He was hit up with his own words "there’s no such thing as a non preventable."
It was great! Watching him dance and stumble for words and the look on his face was priceless!!!!!!!!!!!! :nutkick:

By the way, he didn't get punished. Go figure

Kharma will always catch up to individuals such as this TM.

One of my favorite places in the whole world is the Florida keys. I grew up about two hours North of there in Broward County. I would travel to the Keys often.
When your in Islamaroda go to the Tiki Bar and have one of there world famous Rum Runners for me.

This trip makes me wonder why I cross I80 on a bad black ice night. I don't make life-changing money at this place. I might be one of those who never comes back. I could own and operate a banana hauler and live the same without black ice.

As someone says..

Food for thought..

This trip makes me wonder why I cross I80 on a bad black ice night. I don't make life-changing money at this place. I might be one of those who never comes back. I could own and operate a banana hauler and live the same without black ice.

As someone says..

Food for thought..

I am an idiot for not only living in Pennsylvania but locking myself into another year with this fine outfit. I will never be a bitter old man living in Pa thinking an LTL company will be my way to riches. I do travel a lot but this one is enlightening.. This company is a joke... And central Pa is a joke... I guess I have to serve 9 more months and I'm gone... I've never enjoyed being away from Pa or Con-way more than I do now... There is no way in hell I'll ever say I wish i woulda.. I cannot fathom why I risk life and limb driving on black ice for this place when I don't have to..

Everyone should think about what really matters before jumping on an ice coated I80, I81, I84, or I76. I will serve my time as an indentured servant and I'm out of here even at top rate, but no more driving on those evil Pa nights.

Before you all tell me to quit now, I had to sign a contract for one year to collect my moving expenses. The seniority I had was robbed from me and now I could care less about this fine company. I will continue to perform my usual good work out of self-pride but my countdown is on.. 9 months..

I am an idiot for not only living in Pennsylvania but locking myself into another year with this fine outfit. I will never be a bitter old man living in Pa thinking an LTL company will be my way to riches. I do travel a lot but this one is enlightening.. This company is a joke... And central Pa is a joke... I guess I have to serve 9 more months and I'm gone... I've never enjoyed being away from Pa or Con-way more than I do now... There is no way in hell I'll ever say I wish i woulda.. I cannot fathom why I risk life and limb driving on black ice for this place when I don't have to..

Everyone should think about what really matters before jumping on an ice coated I80, I81, I84, or I76. I will serve my time as an indentured servant and I'm out of here even at top rate, but no more driving on those evil Pa nights.

Before you all tell me to quit now, I had to sign a contract for one year to collect my moving expenses. The seniority I had was robbed from me and now I could care less about this fine company. I will continue to perform my usual good work out of self-pride but my countdown is on.. 9 months..

As long as you maintain your self pride, we will all countdown with you...But if you go to Florida, I will not like you anymore....that will trump my 72 degree January days..

As long as you maintain your self pride, we will all countdown with you...But if you go to Florida, I will not like you anymore....that will trump my 72 degree January days..

South Florida is a pretty nice place. Two things I have are self-pride and a chica that hates Pa and loves South Florida. Enough BS from my fine employer and enough black ice.

My countdown is officially on.

And even if my chica canned me I hate Pa and my fine employer..

make a statement like that, you're on your own...Don't look for me to support you...we may be about to find out how many female types from PA are on these boards..

make a statement like that, you're on your own...Don't look for me to support you...we may be about to find out how many female types from PA are on these boards..

BB I will stand by it. The two people I respect the most in this world are my parents. They are Brooklyn, NY natives that moved to Pa in the 80's for my dads job. They have wanted to move south for some time now but think moving is too complicated now and they have an incredible house. They thought I was nuts for locking myself into this company and state for a year and once again they are proved correct.

My mom makes fun of all the fat chicks. So does my dad. They are both in great shape and call the fat chicks in tight tops "muffin tops". Gotta love the rents. I have not seen too many muffin tops in So Fl. I see great jugs all over though. Gotta love great jugs..

HMMMM!!! Hey JAKEBRAKE I thought.......... UM, never mind.