XPO | Driving jobs that nobody wants

You clearly have never lived in a truck.

Sure as hell, I haven't. And I still know better.

Also, those weekend outings in some random hell hole truck stop, aren't quite the same as time spent with friends.

And going to Wal-Mart to restock the mini fridge doesn't feel the same as a trip to fill the freezer and have dinner with the family.

Interesting perspective, however flawed it is.

Yes I have, and do during the week now. Why is that a qualifier? If it is in the job description when you take a job, you can not factor in time spent away from home to money made per hour or mile..

I'm sure Conway has laydown runs somewhere in the system. If a driver bids that run, does he make less than a turn driver because of the time spent in the motel? No. So your figures are inaccurate.

As for you rep post to me...

That is an idiot thing to say. Should I pitch a complaint About how you are ruining our thread ? Your boy Muler would. And probably delete your post. And publically crap on you for daring to post in his forum.

What are you even talking about? Are you so insecure about yourself that anyone posting a different view is an idiot?

Did the rules change since the last time I logged off? The Conway board is not exclusive to Conway drivers. And just because one mod does something you don't like, doesn't mean we're all out to get you.

Relax and enjoy your time on TB. Try not to start fires when everything is so dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he means time spent sleeping in the truck. Even though your "off duty", you can't go home.

That is in the job description when you hire on. Like I stated above, If someone bids a laydown run, they don't factor in the motel time and say they make less because of it. It's part of the job description.

That is in the job description when you hire on. Like I stated above, If someone bids a laydown run, they don't factor in the motel time and say they make less because of it. It's part of the job description.

And it's the part of the job description that isn't worth it.

Yes I have, and do during the week now. Why is that a qualifier? If it is in the job description when you take a job, you can not factor in time spent away from home to money made per hour or mile..

I'm sure Conway has laydown runs somewhere in the system. If a driver bids that run, does he make less than a turn driver because of the time spent in the motel? No. So your figures are inaccurate.

What are you even talking about? Are you so insecure about yourself that anyone posting a different view is an idiot?

Did the rules change since the last time I logged off? The Conway board is not exclusive to Conway drivers. And just because one mod does something you don't like, doesn't mean we're all out to get you.

Relax and enjoy your time on TB. Try not to start fires when everything is so dry.

I said what I feel. If you don't understand where I am coming from; I am sorry, but I don't care to try any harder to explain.

What are you even talking about? Are you so insecure about yourself that anyone posting a different view is an idiot? e

Really???

What kind of silly ass assumption is this???

Yes...anytime spent away from your home...being tied to the rig is work time.

Those hours spent on the road may not all be logged as on duty time...but those ten hours in the berth is time on the job. Some of you boobs have never spent any real time on the road...and then post on boards like this trying to validate your viewpoint.

Run the road for six to eight weeks at a time...then come to these boards and tell me those hours spent on the road are not 'working' hours....

While you may attempt to pursue an asinine argument regarding what is working time and was is not...it is abundantly clear to those of us who have actually run the road...done the math...that you have absolutely dick understanding of the world of OTR.

This a case of just another truck driver trying to convince others of their qualifications...wanting to be admired for something never accomplished.

Believing two nights out make an OTR driver...

NOPE!!!...not gonna happen!

Go grow some real whiskers...then return here with a valid story.

Rat

I should boot up the comp at my Dad's and let him tell you about driving OTR in a truck with no air and heat part of the time, being away from home for 3 months, coming in long enough to get his clothes washed (I would hold my nose while mom would gag) then head out again for another 3 months. My baby brother crying under the bed because a 'strange man' was in the house. Walking at night once a week to the local phone booth and waiting on that long distance call to hear my Dad's voice. Asking where he was, what he was seeing.

Being proud to see him in that big old truck that would shake his bones and cause his arm/shoulder to hurt him to this day ("My bursitis is killing me again, where is the BenGay??") He has more than one tooth and when he finally got jobs where he could be home at night or day he was the cleanest man you'd ever see. He would take a bath and when he came out the only way you'd know he'd been in there was the steam on the mirror. He had the bathroom spotless, no dirty clothes or towels laying around. Still that way to this day. His things are always kept up neat and clean.

I'll always feel that sense of pride when I think of my Dad taking off in that big old truck, listening to Red Solvine and hearing that powerful engine going down the road. That's my Dad the OTR driver. Thanks Dad for your hard work, days and nights on the road so I could have food, clothing and roof over my head. :cool:

TiredDvrWife, it sounds like your childhood memories match mine very closely. My dad always called our home phone, but we had an 800 number on our long-distance line. But he would spend months away from home, dispatch would be on him to go again before he even got home, home for 3 days and then off again. It's made him into the oldest 71 year old man I have ever met.

Really???

What kind of silly ass assumption is this???

Yes...anytime spent away from your home...being tied to the rig is work time.

Those hours spent on the road may not all be logged as on duty time...but those ten hours in the berth is time on the job. Some of you boobs have never spent any real time on the road...and then post on boards like this trying to validate your viewpoint.

Run the road for six to eight weeks at a time...then come to these boards and tell me those hours spent on the road are not 'working' hours....

While you may attempt to pursue an asinine argument regarding what is working time and was is not...it is abundantly clear to those of us who have actually run the road...done the math...that you have absolutely dick understanding of the world of OTR.

This a case of just another truck driver trying to convince others of their qualifications...wanting to be admired for something never accomplished.

Believing two nights out make an OTR driver...

NOPE!!!...not gonna happen!

Go grow some real whiskers...then return here with a valid story.

Rat

Where to start???

1st... I run the road right now with my wife. We run about 4500 miles a week and are home on weekends. Before switching to this fleet we stayed out 6 weeks at a time and took a week off.

2nd... When I started trucking in 1993, I pulled a reefer for the 1st 6 years of my trucking life. I bought a truck and was leased to National Carriers for several years. I didn't own a house, I had everything I needed in my truck.

This "boob" has and does run the road. It's a choice and a way of life. If you don't like it, so what. That doesn't make your opinion any more valid. At least let someone have an opinion without name calling.

In my case, time in the bunk is still work time because I'm paid for every mile turned. When I ran single, it was a choice I made. I signed on knowing what I got paid and how long I'd be out.

Do you get paid for the time spent driving to and from work? Do you get paid for tine spent in a motel on a laydown run? The answer to both is no. It's expected as part of the job when you took it.

My whiskers are only 21 years old, but I've trucked in 48 states, 75% of the Canadian provinces, in all weather conditions pulling van, reefer, doubles, triples, rocky mountain doubles, tank and flat. I think I speak from experience. Maybe I'm mistaken though.

You were right, Rat. All this guy cares about is trumping the thread. Puffing out that chest and feeling better than the rest of us.

Go ahead. Keep patting yourself on the back there trucker. What do a bunch of day cab sissies know anyway ?

For the rest of us in the real world. Time away from family costs something. We relate that to money. Because money is the reward for working. So if we are going to be away from home for weeks. We are going to expect or demand a significant amount of money to compensate for being away. If I am not home. I want paid for it.

Be careful little turtle. Poking your head out of that truck is scary. You got everything you need in there. Just sit tight.

I got my whole world at the house. Everything I NEED is there. And I am in a hell bent rush to get back to it.

You were right, Rat. All this guy cares about is trumping the thread. Puffing out that chest and feeling better than the rest of us.

Go ahead. Keep patting yourself on the back there trucker. What do a bunch of day cab sissies know anyway ?

Don't put words in Rat's mouth. Say what you want to say without dragging someone else with you. Be a man and stand on your own feet. Besides, where do you read that? Rat said I didn't know what OTR was. I proved otherwise. Are you that insecure that you took it as me trying to look better that you? Get real. This is a message board. I don't know you so why would it matter who is better? It doesn't.

You called me an idiot. It doesn't matter. Every time you post, you prove the type of person you are. There's no escaping or hiding from that fact.

I was in LTL for 12 years. I've seen both sides. Have you?

For the rest of us in the real world. Time away from family costs something. We relate that to money. Because money is the reward for working. So if we are going to be away from home for weeks. We are going to expect or demand a significant amount of money to compensate for being away. If I am not home. I want paid for it.

Then don't take a job that requires you to be away from home. Simple as that. But for you to state that an OTR driver only makes 4 something an hour, sounds condescending, like you're way too good to take that job.

Be careful little turtle. Poking your head out of that truck is scary. You got everything you need in there. Just sit tight.

I got my whole world at the house. Everything I NEED is there. And I am in a hell bent rush to get back to it.

You don't read very well. When I was single and 21, I did have all I needed in a truck. As we grow up, we mature (some more than others, apparently) and our needs change.

I love my weekends at home. But I also love being in Maine one week and Washington the next. I got bored seeing the same highway night after night.

Don't put words in Rat's mouth. Say what you want to say without dragging someone else with you. Be a man and stand on your own feet. Besides, where do you read that? Rat said I didn't know what OTR was. I proved otherwise. Are you that insecure that you took it as me trying to look better that you? Get real. This is a message board. I don't know you so why would it matter who is better? It doesn't.

You called me an idiot. It doesn't matter. Every time you post, you prove the type of person you are. There's no escaping or hiding from that fact.

I was in LTL for 12 years. I've seen both sides. Have you?

Then don't take a job that requires you to be away from home. Simple as that. But for you to state that an OTR driver only makes 4 something an hour, sounds condescending, like you're way too good to take that job.

You don't read very well. When I was single and 21, I did have all I needed in a truck. As we grow up, we mature (some more than others, apparently) and our needs change.

I love my weekends at home. But I also love being in Maine one week and Washington the next. I got bored seeing the same highway night after night.

I didn't reply to your post. And am not dragging Rat into anything. I am replying to Rat. I agree with him. How do you not understand that ?

I didn't call you an idiot. I said what you said was an idiot thing to say. Can't you even quote me correctly ? Are you Dockers alter ego or something ? I am not looking for a fight. I am expressing my point of view. Simply. Clearly. Stop dreaming crap up. Stop clip cutting my posts.

I showed the work on the math to that $4 an hour statement. It is how I see it. And yes I am to good to do that work. I am not willing to sacrifice that much for that little.

Maybe your posts would be better recieved on a forum with others that feel the way you do. This is a Con-way forum. There are no OTR drivers here. Perhaps you have picked the wrong audience ?

I didn't reply to your post. And am not dragging Rat into anything. I am replying to Rat. I agree with him. How do you not understand that ?

I didn't see where Rat made the statements that you were "agreeing" with him. Sorry, I must have missed that post.

I didn't call you an idiot. I said what you said was an idiot thing to say. Can't you even quote me correctly ? Are you Dockers alter ego or something ? I am not looking for a fight. I am expressing my point of view. Simply. Clearly. Stop dreaming crap up.

Semantics-the meaning, or an interpretation of the meaning, of a word, sign, sentence, etc.

Here's what you posted..
.That is an idiot thing to say. Should I pitch a complaint About how you are ruining our thread ? Your boy Muler would. And probably delete your post. And publically crap on you for daring to post in his forum.

As I said before, it doesn't matter. I can't figure out why you keep referencing muler and docker. I don't know either of them, but apparently you must. You seem to talk about them often. If you have a beef with one of them, take it up with them, not me.

Stop clip cutting my posts.

Like this? It make it easier for you to follow along. You've proven, in the past, you can't understand what I'm talking about. Your post is here, in it's entirety.

I showed the work on the math to that $4 an hour statement. It is how I see it. And yes I am to good to do that work. I am not willing to sacrifice that much for that little.

No, you didn't. Here's your post...

$38,000 a year is around $4.35 an hour. Which isn't even minimum wage.

I don't only count drive time. I count all time spent away from home. Because if you ain't home, your working.

Maybe your posts would be better recieved on a forum with others that feel the way you do. This is a Con-way forum. There are no OTR drivers here. Perhaps you have picked the wrong audience ?

If everyone agreed with everyone else, truckingboards would be a very boring place. There are plenty of OTR drivers here. You're still under the impression that only Conway drivers have the key to this forum. You are mistaken.

Don't take things so seriously. This is a fun message board, try to enjoy your time here.

Hey Guardrail do you have those sandals I always see otr drivers wearing at our terminal? What about the sheet they wear on their heads?

Well you scarred me for life... ewwww LOL!! One toof, huh? Ok, I kid some on here, you have to sometimes to keep from losing it when things get overwhelming. I hope to give a laugh or two to some here.

This company has stressed out my husband beyond what anyone should go through, I hate it for you drivers.

Hope my description wasn't to graphic for young viewers ...lol

Nothing worse than being stuck 2000 miles away from home with NOTHING to do all weekend except watch re-re-re-re-runs of NCIS or the same movie for the 34th time om AMC in a smelly truckstop tv lounge.

Now that is funny right there, so true but so FUNNY,

I do not miss my days on the road. OTR to me means FAT,BORED,and LONELY. OTR to me also means HOMESICK,ABSENTEE FATHER AND HUSBAND, and REALLY NEED A SHOWER. Why do you think there are so many foreigners on the road nowadays. Lots of eastern europeans and africans from what I have seen.

i ran otr for 8 years before i came here and personally i think everybody should run at least 1 year otr before they earn the rite to be one of us sissys driving a day cab