XPO | Dropped Trailer Awareness?

btjkc

TB Lurker
Credits
jceEesU.jpg

Saw this posted somewhere else, apparently it was staged on purpose in Fremont, IN. Is this XPO's way of advertising to the general public that they have a problem with dropped trailers?

Ya gotta do a two foot duck walk and check for closed jaws underneath , a single has space to do that , a tandem, turn tractor at 45 degree angle and look when hooked to a pup ,at least once a week on a dolly i have to do a rehook because jaws did not close proper how it can pull the pup 10 feet in the yard with the release lever 75 percent out is beyond me

I just jerk and drag the trailer a quarter mile or so until I'm confident it won't fall apart.

jceEesU.jpg

Saw this posted somewhere else, apparently it was staged on purpose in Fremont, IN. Is this XPO's way of advertising to the general public that they have a problem with dropped trailers?
Probably for an upcoming training video.

jceEesU.jpg

We had the same setup at my barn a few weeks ago....I saw the same thing at XQC this week

This time of year we always seem to have a spike in dropped trailers. I personally think it has to do with people being put on line haul that are not used to the job, and hours involved. They hire new people in the middle of the year, doing P&D then they get forced onto line haul do to job selection changes. Their new to this type of fun in the cold and winter. Things don't work normally, {me} ice and snow on 5th wheels, grease as hard as cement, and their told to be safe but hook that set in 20 min. or under to make FOS look good. I'll just say this, if your an old timer been running line haul for long time, and you see a newbe possibly having a hard time hooking or what not, just give them a hand maybe point out some helpful tricks they weren't aware of. If their appreciative of your assistance great, if not then you tried and what happens after who knows..

This time of year we always seem to have a spike in dropped trailers. I personally think it has to do with people being put on line haul that are not used to the job, and hours involved. They hire new people in the middle of the year, doing P&D then they get forced onto line haul do to job selection changes. Their new to this type of fun in the cold and winter. Things don't work normally, {me} ice and snow on 5th wheels, grease as hard as cement, and their told to be safe but hook that set in 20 min. or under to make FOS look good. I'll just say this, if your an old timer been running line haul for long time, and you see a newbe possibly having a hard time hooking or what not, just give them a hand maybe point out some helpful tricks they weren't aware of. If their appreciative of your assistance great, if not then you tried and what happens after who knows..

How long does it take to jack your unit before you leave and actually eyeball that the fifth wheel jaws are closed/locked on the trailer kingpins. If you jack you don't even have to crouch and get underneath.

Nothing a shot of diesel fuel won’t fix , loosen up grease right away.

I agree to some points here. I think the main reason we have dropped trailer is two fold. First the driver in a rush, and or never looks. Second was the type of fithwheels on the dollies. That's way they are replacing the Simplex fithwheels with Hollands.
I seen city guys drop trailer too. It does still snow and is cold during the day time.
A 20min hook/drop time is what they say is standard. I taken has long as an hour or more all you have to do is put a reason down. Like snow/ice covered yard, dolly wont lock, or dolly blown an air value, or the easy ones like yard congestion, yard flow, line at greeter shack.

How long does it take to jack your unit before you leave and actually eyeball that the fifth wheel jaws are closed/locked on the trailer kingpins. If you jack you don't even have to crouch and get underneath.
and if you can't crouch then how do you check the brakes and airline on the trailer???? Do you even look at them

and if you can't crouch then how do you check the brakes and airline on the trailer???? Do you even look at them

Please re-read what I said - "crouch and get underneath". If you check the fifth wheel jaws without jacking the unit you have to crouch and get underneath, those two motions go together in that case. If you jack the unit you only have to crouch a bit to see the jaws without having to get underneath. Same thing (crouch a bit but not get underneath) for the brakes. :smile new:

I have bigger bones then most people that's what I do. LOL

Please re-read what I said - "crouch and get underneath". If you check the fifth wheel jaws without jacking the unit you have to crouch and get underneath, those two motions go together in that case. If you jack the unit you only have to crouch a bit to see the jaws without having to get underneath. Same thing (crouch a bit but not get underneath) for the brakes. :smile new:
also seem guy drop there trailers pulling forward to jack them so they did have to crouch
You make it sound like you have to crawl under the whole trailer

We suggested many years ago that the company follow winter maintenance schedule for fifth wheels which included degreasing lock mechanisms. We went as far as taking it to the top management as a suggestion in presentation form . It was flatly rejected . We had direct correlation to the spike in cold weather drops and a regional maintenance director agreeing statement . The company was rejected it flatly blaming the entire spike to driver negligence. The policy was at the time one drop trailer off company property, instant termination.
Now we have finally have the company suggesting to spray the locks with a cutting solvent in the winter and wala ! A sudden lull in dropped trailers .
It’s this disconcert for people’s safety and jobs that drives people to have a bad attitude and want union protections.

We suggested many years ago that the company follow winter maintenance schedule for fifth wheels which included degreasing lock mechanisms. We went as far as taking it to the top management as a suggestion in presentation form . It was flatly rejected . We had direct correlation to the spike in cold weather drops and a regional maintenance director agreeing statement . The company was rejected it flatly blaming the entire spike to driver negligence. The policy was at the time one drop trailer off company property, instant termination.
Now we have finally have the company suggesting to spray the locks with a cutting solvent in the winter and wala ! A sudden lull in dropped trailers .
It’s this disconcert for people’s safety and jobs that drives people to have a bad attitude and want union protections.
is it bad maintenance when a driver has to back under three times to get the fifth wheel to lock, not clean off the snow and ice, or not check if it is properly locked? All have have to say is if driver took as much time to do a little maintenance on there own as they do on cleaning there windows we wouldn't be having this problem. God forbid some of you leave here and go work at a place were they expect you to be a truck driver