XPO | Dsa's future with con-way

NEWBLUE

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello!

I'm a recent Con-way driving school graduate (11 months) and I am 23 years old. I was hired on 3 years ago as a part-time dock worker...

To date, I have not had any help from "the company" to secure a solid future/retirement for myself/family.

Does Con-way honestly think that they are going to hang on to stable hard-working employees and not contribute a dime* to there 401k/retirement????

where in the united states constitution does it say that a company MUST provide help for YOUR retirement.

I know your young, but you need to realize that everything isnt free, there are plenty of investment options for you to do on your own.

Hello!

I'm a recent Con-way driving school graduate (11 months) and I am 23 years old. I was hired on 3 years ago as a part-time dock worker...

To date, I have not had any help from "the company" to secure a solid future/retirement for myself/family.

Does Con-way honestly think that they are going to hang on to stable hard-working employees and not contribute a dime* to there 401k/retirement????

you have not had any help from the company to secure a solid future/retirement for yourself/family?

man you have come to the right place to share that attitude!

well let's start with a FREE training program that would be worth about $5000.00 dollars outside of our company
and how about giving you an entry-level driving job that allows you to be home EVERY day AND weekends

That's not a solid future?

How about you take and plan your own life and start an IRA? The company that you say does not help gave you 2.5% more money just a month ago. There's you seed money Junior... start by putting 2.5% away for your family

At 23, every day you continue to complain about what everyone else isn't doing for you is one less day you get to prepare for retirement. 23 years ago I started with the company and at that time 15% was the maximum that could be contributed to the 401k. That was 15% of my money.

Wow. Talk about an "entitlement generation".
I wish, at 23, I had the job you now have.
I couldn't imagine how much of a retirement nest egg I would have right now if I had your job and the knowledge that I needed to save for my future back when I was that young.
Stop with the "GIMMEE GIMMEE!!" and put some of your money into some kind of savings plan every week and you will be amazed at what's there in 40 years when you retire.
Holy sheet!!!! You have 40 YEARS to prepare for retirement!!! God, I envy your position(just not your attitude)!

this company doesn't give ya crap ( nor do they care ) as far as a pension but on the plus side you know that now and can prepare yourself for the future. imagine what it's like for older guys with lots of time in this company ( like me ) who were promised a good pension and had torn from us. now just a few years from retirement we have to scramble and scrape to figure out how to get bye. what they took would have made all the difference in the world, i wish i would have seen it coming but back in the day one could trust the company they worked for !!!!! my my how things have changed. like i said you know what your getting into and have plenty of years to prepare. there's not much more they can do to f--- your future. ( i'm sure they'll think of something )

Hello!

You may have a point. Perhaps it's time to start looking elsewhere.

I'm going to go out on a limb and agree with NEWBLUE. In my experience at my terminal, they "change the subject" when the new employees ask about retirement benefits. I couldn't get a straight answer from anybody at my terminal about the conway 401k match and it was one of the reasons why I joined TB.

If conway wants to retain quality workers, we should open the conversation of retirement benefits. Otherwise, we can keep spending money training guys then have them leave for Dayton Freight after a year..

And please lets not turn this into a generational thing because "junior" pays into social security which is great for everybody but junior.

I'm going to go out on a limb and agree with NEWBLUE. In my experience at my terminal, they "change the subject" when the new employees ask about retirement benefits. I couldn't get a straight answer from anybody at my terminal about the conway 401k match and it was one of the reasons why I joined TB.

If conway wants to retain quality workers, we should open the conversation of retirement benefits. Otherwise, we can keep spending money training guys then have them leave for Dayton Freight after a year..

And please lets not turn this into a generational thing because "junior" pays into social security which is great for everybody but junior.
You ever think they change the subject because they don't know the answer? I guarantee no one lower than a SCM(if they even know anything) knows a damn thing about it. They stated they hoped 2nd quarter for something. It is still the second quarter and I have not heard a word and will not untill they release it to everyone. Big changes like this are not communicated to everyone untill everyone needs to know. Only a select few need to know what the plan is for now and everyone will know when its official.

Hey man. A lot of what has been said here is true. Don't trust a company or government to fund your retirement. Do it yourself.

You are young and free to choose where you want to work. Choose wisely. Don't waste your time somewhere you aren't wanted.

Even more important. Don't waste your time somewhere you don't want to be.

You are President and CEO of ( put your name here ) Incorporated. Make the choice that is best for you.

Hello!

click here for roth ira info

Hello!

You did not get a 401k started for you by the company? I thought that the company put 3% into every employees 401k whether they contributed into or not. Was that only for employees who got there pensions JACKED? Whats the deal?

For what its worth, the drivers like Merdock and Highspeeds are correct. You have got to take charge of your own retirement. The days of companies taking care of there employees are GONE and it SUCKS but there is nothing to be done about it except planning for retirement yourself. Your young and just starting out and you have ALOT of time to save a good nest egg if you start now.

The only jobs that have pensions and retirement plans for there employees anymore are government and union jobs. I will be working until I am 70 years old so I can save enough money to retire and even then I will probably be living in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER. Start now and save alot and you will be OK.

this company doesn't give ya crap ( nor do they care ) as far as a pension but on the plus side you know that now and can prepare yourself for the future. imagine what it's like for older guys with lots of time in this company ( like me ) who were promised a good pension and had torn from us. now just a few years from retirement we have to scramble and scrape to figure out how to get bye. what they took would have made all the difference in the world, i wish i would have seen it coming but back in the day one could trust the company they worked for !!!!! my my how things have changed. like i said you know what your getting into and have plenty of years to prepare. there's not much more they can do to f--- your future. ( i'm sure they'll think of something )

I love it... "promised a good pension"... "I wish I had seen it coming"

I just celebrated 23 years, and 22 years ago I was told about the opportunity of contributing to my 401k. 2006 brought the pension reform act. I apparently attended communication meetings that you were not aware of. Fast forward to 2012 and I am approaching 400,000 in my fund. Maybe it has something to do with my glass of kool-aid still being half full instead of half empty

Your pension money is still there, btw. I wasn't sure if you were aware of that. I wouldn't want you to not get your money. Nothing was taken away, they just stopped contributing to that fund. You do know that, don't you?

You did not get a 401k started for you by the company? I thought that the company put 3% into every employees 401k whether they contributed into or not. Was that only for employees who got there pensions JACKED? Whats the deal?

For what its worth, the drivers like Merdock and Highspeeds are correct. You have got to take charge of your own retirement. The days of companies taking care of there employees are GONE and it SUCKS but there is nothing to be done about it except planning for retirement yourself. Your young and just starting out and you have ALOT of time to save a good nest egg if you start now.

The only jobs that have pensions and retirement plans for there employees anymore are government and union jobs. I will be working until I am 70 years old so I can save enough money to retire and even then I will probably be living in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER. Start now and save alot and you will be OK.

The 3% with the additional 1 or 2 or maybe 3% was for the ones who were in the pension. New hires dont get anything. no 401 match or contributions.

I love it... "promised a good pension"... "I wish I had seen it coming"

I just celebrated 23 years, and 22 years ago I was told about the opportunity of contributing to my 401k. 2006 brought the pension reform act. I apparently attended communication meetings that you were not aware of. Fast forward to 2012 and I am approaching 400,000 in my fund. Maybe it has something to do with my glass of kool-aid still being half full instead of half empty

And you can see that money and not wonder if the fund is funded fully or not. That is your money and nobody can take it. You don't have to wonder about retirement. That is great. The best way to retire.

Hello!

There are no company paid retirement programs for new hires right now. They'll realize this is costing them in turnover and training, one day.... maybe.

The 3% with the additional 1 or 2 or maybe 3% was for the ones who were in the pension. New hires dont get anything. no 401 match or contributions.

That SUCKS!!! There is NO WAY I would sign on with this outfit today. I had no idea that things had come to this. I hope the Captain of this ship realizes that if you want to attract the best drivers, you have got offer competitive wages and benefits. Not offering any retirement benefits at all is completely ridiculous and counter productive. All in the name saving a little money. WTF

There are no company paid retirement programs for new hires right now. They'll realize this is costing them in turnover and training, one day.... maybe.

Con~Way Will never Admit to0 making a Mistake not go0nna Happen Con~way Don't make Mistakes only employees do Read the Handbook its subject to change without Notice !!!!

Hello!

That SUCKS!!! There is NO WAY I would sign on with this outfit today. I had no idea that things had come to this. I hope the Captain of this ship realizes that if you want to attract the best drivers, you have got offer competitive wages and benefits. Not offering any retirement benefits at all is completely ridiculous and counter productive. All in the name saving a little money. WTF

Anybody hire on after jan. '10 doesn't currently get anything. We talked about this before.