XPO | DSR killed on the job

i heard from a reliable source that the trailor was on an incline the driver was pulling the door down slipped off the deck of the trailor and knocked the gladhand off trailor rolled back and pinned him at any rate its a bad deal

Doesn't make sense, if the brakes were set, there's no pressure in the gladhands. Knocking off a gladhand would not make the brakes release. The sliding on sand makes more sense.

Doesn't make sense, if the brakes were set, there's no pressure in the gladhands. Knocking off a gladhand would not make the brakes release. The sliding on sand makes more sense.

This is what i heard. Driver had backed up to a spring loaded dock, had to pull out the trailer to close the door. Upon exiting the truck he forgot to set the brakes, went inside the building, jumped from the dock to the trailer (3 feet) pulled the door down, trailer then started rolling back and then pinned him against the dock. Sad thing, the guy was 64 years old and going to retire soon. Driver was out of the NIL (wilson, NC) terminal. Be safe out there guys.

This is what i heard. Driver had backed up to a spring loaded dock, had to pull out the trailer to close the door. Upon exiting the truck he forgot to set the brakes, went inside the building, jumped from the dock to the trailer (3 feet) pulled the door down, trailer then started rolling back and then pinned him against the dock. Sad thing, the guy was 64 years old and going to retire soon. Driver was out of the NIL (wilson, NC) terminal. Be safe out there guys.

This makes more sense. Once brakes are set, there is no air in the glad hands, knocking 1 or both off would not cause it to roll. I've seen a lot of guys set only the tractor or only the trailer when parking, please don't do that either guys, set both and be sure.

it will roll til the air pressure drops then it will lock up
Only of it's already rolling. If you set the brakes, all air is exhausted out of the lines. It could be than he realized that he didn't set the brakes when it started rolling and knocked the rear glad hands off to try to stop it, but they didn't apply fast enough. I did that once a long time ago. A truck started rolling forward and the driver darted to try and jump into it, I ran up behind it pulled the red glad hand off. It came to a stop in 5-10 feet. If it was rolling backwards, I wouldn't have tried that. It was a scarey moment.

Since then, when ever I park, I say in may head as I'm pulling the brakes, "Brakes Set, Check."