FedEx Freight | DULUTH, GA Fedex Freight Rolls over on Highway 120 and Sugarloaf Parkway

Or maybe these other companies only hire truck drivers, not just a body with a pulse that can hold a steering wheel???

I told my city driver mgr that he had a lot of guys here that drive truck, but not many are truck drivers-----he agreed. There is a big difference, and we all see it every day.

I don't think they're buying these new trucks with auto transmissions, vorad and anti-rollover safety crap because it's the cheaper way to go. They need a truck that pretty much drives itself so even a steering wheel holder can drive a truck!

It's really sad what the trucking industry has become, just trying to hold on til retirement!!!:couch:

A linehaul driver is a factory-like job, whereas an OTR driver has alot more responsibilities. I never worked OTR, so if I were to say leave here and apply for and OTR job, I would most likely not get hired. No OTR experience, I would have to be trained. I've driven linehaul over 20 years, on a toll road, mostly terminal to terminal. Being OTR is a totally different experience- one which I feel I would fail at. Yes, I am a steering wheel holder, not a truck driver.The OTR driver is a lifestyle, not all can handle- alot more responsibility. Linehaul- being home everyday, within 12 hours, and most likey with weekends off is more like a mobile factory job. Where I am happy at.
I told my city driver mgr that he had a lot of guys here that drive truck, but not many are truck drivers-----he agreed. There is a big difference, and we all see it every day.

A linehaul driver is a factory-like job, whereas an OTR driver has alot more responsibilities. I never worked OTR, so if I were to say leave here and apply for and OTR job, I would most likely not get hired. No OTR experience, I would have to be trained. I've driven linehaul over 20 years, on a toll road, mostly terminal to terminal. Being OTR is a totally different experience- one which I feel I would fail at. Yes, I am a steering wheel holder, not a truck driver.The OTR driver is a lifestyle, not all can handle- alot more responsibility. Linehaul- being home everyday, within 12 hours, and most likey with weekends off is more like a mobile factory job. Where I am happy at.

I agree with you somewhat. If you are running a meet and turn and home within 11 then easy peasy. But I think if you are hopping on a jeep and busting your ass on a dock plus driving thats harder than holding a wheel for 10 hrs. I know for me atleast, its 13.75 to 14 almost every night.

Misfit, I am sorry that you sell yourself so short.
30 years ago, I would have agreed that OTR drivers, and in particular, O/O OTR drivers were real truckers. But then again linehaul drivers 30 years ago were real truckers also. I have lived and driven all my life in Northern Cal. There is no way into or out of this state without driving on roads that you really need to respect. Disrespect these roads and bad things happen. There has been a huge change in the industry since I started. When I started, people got the job done, period. When you backed under a trailer, whether you were company driver, O/O, linehaul or OTR, you took ownership of that load and delivered it, intact, on time.

Sure, there are people that don't mind being gone.
Not my cup of tea. Doesn't make me an assembly line worker.
If by OTR you mean drivers such as the PT drivers going into and out of our yards and believe they are real truckers compared to us,
I am deeply offended.

The media is filled with communists and anarchists, that actively try to destroy the moral fiber of our country. A union in itself is a form of communism. The idea that everyone is equal, and deserves equal pay, whether they deserve it or not is communistic. Communists in America played a vital role in the rise of unions 1920-1940's. Today, Communist Party USA (CPUSA) actively campaigns for, honors and awards union leadership. AFL-CIO Leader Accepts Communist Party Award: ‘I Stand With Them’ | TheBlaze.com. I'm not suggesting that all union members are communists, but there is correlation between the ideology of communism and union organization. My father, also worked for Gannett News for 37 years. They were pretty much forbidden to report negatively about a union company. Much of the news industry are represented by unions as well, and they are not going to attack those with the same goals.

Please tell me you're not trying to say unions are trying to destroy the moral fiber of this country. I'm not trying to refute your assumption that unions protect eachother, but the communist thing is grade a BS. Equal pay and equal footing? Hardly. Our own company has adopted some union practices. Namely, honoring seniority-although, that could be argued recently-and a progressive pay grade. Junior employees make less, senior employees make more. Now, if you're talking about them trying to stop corporations from ****** employees and making obscene amounts of profits at the expense of their under paid workforce, then by all means, if that's communism, call it communism. I'd just like to urge you to revisit your Webster's dictionary. Not sure how you reconcile the fact that many Libertarians, such as myself have become pro union, due to the way FedEx has transitioned into such an anti labor place of employment. Now, I enjoy Glenn Beck and The Blaze as much as the next guy, but brother, I think you need to mix in some MSNBC just to even yourself out.....now I'm not saying start drinking that kool-aid non-stop, as you'll more than likely end up living off the government, but Jesus man, you're really reaching.

Misfit, I am sorry that you sell yourself so short.
30 years ago, I would have agreed that OTR drivers, and in particular, O/O OTR drivers were real truckers. But then again linehaul drivers 30 years ago were real truckers also. I have lived and driven all my life in Northern Cal. There is no way into or out of this state without driving on roads that you really need to respect. Disrespect these roads and bad things happen. There has been a huge change in the industry since I started. When I started, people got the job done, period. When you backed under a trailer, whether you were company driver, O/O, linehaul or OTR, you took ownership of that load and delivered it, intact, on time.

Sure, there are people that don't mind being gone.
Not my cup of tea. Doesn't make me an assembly line worker.
If by OTR you mean drivers such as the PT drivers going into and out of our yards and believe they are real truckers compared to us,
I am deeply offended.
No offense intended, depending on where you drive, mountians, hills, flat land high winds, etc. being out weeks on end away from family is what I intended. Making your way scheduling, finding loads, doing multiple stops and pickups along the way is something I know absolutely nothing about, and have never experienced. I guess calling it factory work/steering wheel holder was meant being home on a regular schedule, dedicated I guess you would call it. Driving the toll road in my area, you can pretty much leave your brakes released and not have much to worry about. I would not recommend it. I too work the dock 1-3 hours a night driving 200 miles @12-14 hrs. a day five times a week is not easy, but compared to an OTR/Independant driver I have no problem with my schedule. I know at some point I will be home daily and when Saturday arrives, I can hang the keys up until Monday night.

As for the PT drivers I'm sure their job is no different than ours other than living in the truck, something I never experienced and chose never to do. I grew up around Yellow and Roadway drivers and the linehaul talk and always thought that was a pretty good deal/job to do. Not to mention the pay. They had nicer toys than most drivers I knew. If I had to chose a motel over a sleeper, I would choose a motel. OTR in a truck for weeks on end was something I never had in mind. If thrown in a sleeper and told to find freight and deliver it anywhere and anytime, like I stated earlier- it would never arrive or happen. I get lost going to a different center (VIA).

If the pigeons eat the bread crumbs, I'm screwed.

Last edited by a moderator: