XPO | Dunnage/Write up

Drivetolive

TB Lurker
Credits
2 guys at our barn were written up today for not using dunnage correctly. The problem is we barely have any and the stuff we do have is torn to shi*. 1 of these guys usually does everything he can, the other is just a waste of air. Are guys at other barns often written up for this? I say if material is readily available, everyone should always secure loads, no question about it. If it's there and you get caught cutting corners, you should be written up.

Thoughts?

Written up?

2 guys at our barn were written up today for not using dunnage correctly. The problem is we barely have any and the stuff we do have is torn to shi*. 1 of these guys usually does everything he can, the other is just a waste of air. Are guys at other barns often written up for this? I say if material is readily available, everyone should always secure loads, no question about it. If it's there and you get caught cutting corners, you should be written up.

Thoughts?

Hey guy...

...At our barn we have to ship out the extra dunnage every so often because it's not being hardly used at all...4x8's...4x4's...cardboard...you name it...and I've NEVER heard anyone ever being written up for not using dunnage here. ( even if they should've been!)

We ship our dunnage out EVERY night. We get so much in, and we use sooo much on OB, and we still have a ton to send back. We have this one guy at our barn called the "nutty professor" He is pretty much the dunnage king. He uses dunnage in every way possible, and the rest of us on ob as well. Its just that he goes above and beyond.

My point is, there is no need for a lack of dunnage...if there is, somehwhere between here and there somebody isnt using enough.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a FOS or TM has decided to make a big deal about this.

If I was the guy who got the LOI for not using dunnage when there was not any I'd appeal it in writing. I have successfully fought an LOI before.

As I tell new guys when I train them on the OB dock, you can't use too much Dunnage. I use 3-5 4X8s to build a wall and 4X4s when ever I stack something.

Right now we have 40-50k lbs of surplus dunnage at my barn, but we are constantly short of working load bars.

A sign at a reship recently said this, "there is a shortage of dunnage in the area, so don`t take any and only use what you need because thats all we have. HERES AN IDEA HOW ABOUT BUYING SOME? this FAC is in northeast indiana! At my barn we are close to being out of everything, and to find a working loadbar is a joke! I sure wish the reships that have all this extra dunnage would send it to the ones that don`t!

I never heard of anybody getting a write up at my barn for not using dunnage, even though some guys need to. As for lack of dunnage and loadbars thats up to your QCL guy to take care of that. It's up to him to get that stuff ordered.

Manifest/Dunnage

Please read the bottom left corner of the manifest you are working on and see who signs off on the properly loaded trailer. The next time one is written up for no dunnage, get a copy of the load manifest in question and throw it back in the face of the one passing out the write-up...case closed

GO FIGURE, tell your TM congrats, he is what is wrong with this place!

I might be next to leave. I know no job is perfect but there has too be a better place out there. I might just start driving tri axle dumps or something. If I stay in LTL it's going to be with a Union company. No more will I watch the BS from conway ruin or run off good men. I've been here less than 6 months and can see, it's not for me.

I would guess that the two guys receiving the LOi's for not using proper dunnage were actually responsible for a load that arrived less than 100%. Cause and effect here fellas... I wonder who recouped the trailer and I wonder what their opinion is on how it could have been prevented. A letter of instruction isn't the end of the world.

I would guess that the two guys receiving the LOi's for not using proper dunnage were actually responsible for a load that arrived less than 100%. Cause and effect here fellas... I wonder who recouped the trailer and I wonder what their opinion is on how it could have been prevented. A letter of instruction isn't the end of the world.

Neither is it an effective tool for learning. LOI is simply a way if saying... "you did something incorrectly, and we don't have time to instruct you properly, so...this'll have to do." Where are the pictures of the load? Where are the experienced people that know how to load as well as strip and can help new hire understand what he's seeing in pix? Also, what's happened to tact, both in giving and receiving instruction? If I'm talked down to, I tend to not receive it so well.

Neither is it an effective tool for learning. LOI is simply a way if saying... "you did something incorrectly, and we don't have time to instruct you properly, so...this'll have to do." Where are the pictures of the load? Where are the experienced people that know how to load as well as strip and can help new hire understand what he's seeing in pix? Also, what's happened to tact, both in giving and receiving instruction? If I'm talked down to, I tend to not receive it so well.
Just sign it, FORCED TO SIGN UNDER DURESS.

here in western canada we get a ton of dunnage from the west and from our fac xfg i bet we have shipped out over 20,000# of dunnage in the last 3 weeks back down south as we have enough for ourselves as send the extras down the line to who needs it if you need dunnage ask your fos or tm to call around and try and get some sent to ya!! good luck

stop sending dunnage down here lol we got too much...we need load bars.....a working load bar..now that is like finding a needle in a haystack

stop sending dunnage down here lol we got too much...we need load bars.....a working load bar..now that is like finding a needle in a haystack

Amen! For as much talk and time given to the whole ICE/ Claims reduction push I have yet to see more working load bars.
Most of the time we have less that 30 on my 500k lbs/day outbound dock. If we used bars as shown in the ice training we would be totally out after loading 10 trailers.

Given enough time and rope most of the time you can rig something up. However many folks either don't know how to use rope or are too rushed for time by the FOS who could care less if we trash the freight as long as het meets his lbs/hr quota and shutdown time.

Then there are purchase trailers or the CWTLs (do we call them CFI now?). Some have no D rings or logistic posts at all!