XPO | Eastern seaboard blizzard 12/18 - 12/19

How many guys had to layover at fac's ? How many slept on the side of the road ?

Don't know but I can tell you my ride home from Hagerstown normally takes a little less than three hours and it took me 5 1/2 Saturday morning. Clogged wipers, bad roads, stupid mountains, and poor visibility were all factors and I was no where near the worst of it. The last 25 miles of my run is 2 lane that normally takes 40 minutes - took almost two hours with the stuck trucks and accidents.

Some friends of mine in Arlington, Va sent pictures and I'd estimate they had close to 2 feet. Must have been terrible running down there. On the way back I caught a Baltimore driver still trying to make the Bedford turn - he had 30k and was spinning up the road in Breezewood between I70 and the Pa Pike.

I decided after two really really close calls over the last three winters I was gonna drive like a weenie this winter. So far I'm two for two..lol.. Two bad nights and I drove like a weenie both times..lol.. I honestly don't care when I get there but I'm gonna get there in one piece. Remeber though, if you're pushing it, Con-way will have your back in the case of an accident..lol..

Go Con-way! Goes to show you their freight is more important than you are. Bet you Con-Way was the only LTL out there.

Clogged wipers, bad roads, stupid mountains, and poor visibility were all factors and I was no where near the worst of it.
If you ask the company they will tell you that we do not need winter wiper blades on our trucks.Sounds like you could have used them.Worth their weight in gold.Are you guys allowed to run chains back there?I noticed trucks at Columbus, Ohio didn't have chain racks when I was there for the TDC a few years ago.Just curious.Travel safe and Happy Holidays.

I spent 12 hours on side of road ina 5 star hotel con-way.That was after spending about 5 hours backed up in 3 different wrecks where it took forever to get going again after you had to stop. Know of at least 7 others that stayed in a 5 star con-way hotel also. Got back to my barn 28 hours after I left the morning before.

I took the night off and watched some movies next to the wood stove. It gave some of the younger drivers a chance to work if they chose too. I hear alot of drivers did not make it home because the roads were so bad. If the weather man says snow, I stay home.

I took the night off and watched some movies next to the wood stove. It gave some of the younger drivers a chance to work if they chose too. I hear alot of drivers did not make it home because the roads were so bad. If the weather man says snow, I stay home.
It was 72 here today, wish I had stayed home. :biglaugh: I made Conway proud by staying and working the dock after my city pedal..

I spoke too soon, it's now in the upper 20's and SNOWING:clap:

Sorry east coast and mid west, clear and sunny out west. Mid 60's today and crystal blue skies. We don't get white Christmas's so enjoy the snow and before you know it, it will be gone.

Merry Christmas!

If you ask the company they will tell you that we do not need winter wiper blades on our trucks.Sounds like you could have used them.Worth their weight in gold.Are you guys allowed to run chains back there?I noticed trucks at Columbus, Ohio didn't have chain racks when I was there for the TDC a few years ago.Just curious.Travel safe and Happy Holidays.

Merry Christmas everyone..

Winter blades are worth their weight in gold. Heard a lot of people mention clogged wipers being the biggest issue last week - can't beat leaning out of the window slapping the wiper. Anyone else ever lost a wiper blade while doing this??

Merry Christmas!
I have never lost a wiper blade doing that, but could see it happening.I have actually had to stop in the middle of a 2 lane highway with my 4-ways on and stand on the tire and scrape the ice from my window.Since I started using winter blades and Peak windshield de-icer I never have visibility issues on the road.But we don't need them according to the big wigs.Buy your own and take them off before the truck goes in for service.

Merry Christmas!
I have never lost a wiper blade doing that, but could see it happening.I have actually had to stop in the middle of a 2 lane highway with my 4-ways on and stand on the tire and scrape the ice from my window.Since I started using winter blades and Peak windshield de-icer I never have visibility issues on the road.But we don't need them according to the big wigs.Buy your own and take them off before the truck goes in for service.

I find it strange you would do that...I no longer am willing to anything for this company...

John L. made sure of that!!!

Rat

I find it strange you would do that...I no longer am willing to anything for this company...

John L. made sure of that!!!

Rat
Not only am I willing to do that, I encourage others to do the same.Safety is my #1 core value even if it isn't Con-way's anymore.Whatever it takes to get me home safe from my run.As far as Mr. Labrie goes, I worked with him out west and have always found him to be a great guy and always does what is best for the company and its shareholders, which is his job.Being the president of a company is like being POTUS,you have tough decisions to make that affect many people.I thank God I didn't have to make those myself.This is still a great place to work regardless of how much you try to tear it down.We are all entitled to our opinions and I respect yours.