Easton MD-Semi Busted For Hauling Illegal Oyster Load/$1000.00 fine per bushel

So the story says the truck had 188 bushels on it, of which 187 were found to be illegal. At $1,000 a bushel that fine will be $187,000.

Sheesh!

I bet that is more than the load would have brought if they had all been legal sized.

So the story says the truck had 188 bushels on it, of which 187 were found to be illegal. At $1,000 a bushel that fine will be $187,000.

Sheesh!

I bet that is more than the load would have brought if they had all been legal sized.

I believe it said the load was worth $8000. I hope they learn their lesson. Who knows if the driver had anything to do with it, or was he just hauling a load?

I believe it said the load was worth $8000. I hope they learn their lesson. Who knows if the driver had anything to do with it, or was he just hauling a load?
If there is a next time I'll bet he'll know what's going on. That fine was "up to" I wonder if they'll get hit with the max. And while that many bushels had illegal sized oysters in there the number of bushels once reduced to only illegals was less.

it took 17 men 6 hours to measure every oyster. The driver is expected to do this?

Rhoderick J. Newman, 66, of Tappahannock, was charged with one count of attempting to transport undersized oysters out of state and five counts of possession of undersized and unculled oysters.

So if the oyster cops press the charges to the full extent, that $8,000 load of oysters cost the trucking company $179,000.

That's a huge deficit.

it took 17 men 6 hours to measure every oyster. The driver is expected to do this?

Well for as much as it is gonna cost him I bet he will be sure they are legal next time.

If there is a next time. . . . . . . . .

Rhoderick J. Newman, 66, of Tappahannock, was charged with one count of attempting to transport undersized oysters out of state and five counts of possession of undersized and unculled oysters.
I thought everyone knew it was rude to not cull the oyster before you hauled it...:shrug:

sounds like a sexual deviant to me....lucky for him, they didn't throw the book at him with the "Mann Act"......:Emoticon_digging:

I was wondering, is there a minimum size on Rocky Mountain oysters?