Effexor

can you have a prescription for Effexor and take it daily and pass your dot physical, or are you disqualified?
What is effexor for? If you have a legitimate prescription and it does not restrict or prohibit machinery operation you are fine. When you fill out your paperwork they will ask you what prescription drugs you are taking, write it down. I had one company doc tell me that I couldn't drive while on Flexeril, a muscle relaxer from a work injury. I told her I was fine with that, disqualify me until I'm off of it, Ms. Chin wouldn't do it.

What is effexor for? If you have a legitimate prescription and it does not restrict or prohibit machinery operation you are fine. When you fill out your paperwork they will ask you what prescription drugs you are taking, write it down. I had one company doc tell me that I couldn't drive while on Flexeril, a muscle relaxer from a work injury. I told her I was fine with that, disqualify me until I'm off of it, Ms. Chin wouldn't do it.
depression

lots of possible side effects.

The company sees constipation as a plus. If it doesn't come with a restriction on operating equipment he's good to go and I suspect he's OK.

The company sees constipation as a plus. If it doesn't come with a restriction on operating equipment he's good to go and I suspect he's OK.
drowsiness......then falling asleep at the wheel....a hazard....

insomnia.....(not getting any restful sleep) then falling asleep at the wheel...a hazard......

seizures.....at the wheel.....a hazard.....

blurred vision.....at the wheel......a hazard.....

hate to say it (but i will) the companies WILL do a search on his meds, most likely will be turned down, even "on his word"...he never has any such bad reactions.....

liability...liability..liability......that's ALL they WILL see in him.....

Just to clarify. It's a friend of mine that is wanting to apply for a driving position at Abf. I have been with abf for 3 years

Just to clarify. It's a friend of mine that is wanting to apply for a driving position at Abf. I have been with abf for 3 years
just to clarify, it is up to the company to hire or deny him. if they choose to hire him, knowing full well his meds and side effects, so be it. i'd not want to have been on the road when he is. as it is too many drivers are on meds now, and get away with it. being lucky they have not crashed. lawsuits against the companies AND the drivers are all too real.

best of luck to him, let us know the results.

I feel for him and wish him well. I do not know how ABF will go with that. I do not think it's a drug that they test for and I don't know if he really has to disclose it. They look for pot, opiates and cocaine and we do have our privacy laws.

I feel for him and wish him well. I do not know how ABF will go with that. I do not think it's a drug that they test for and I don't know if he really has to disclose it. They look for pot, opiates and cocaine and we do have our privacy laws.
he has to disclose ALL meds he is taking. if he sidesteps this, and crashes then testing and interviews take place, when they find out he is on this drug, he will be fired, then civils suits will follow, then too ABF will be VERY liable for hiring under false pretenses...

THEY WILL FIND his meds in his suitcase, briefcase, pocket, wherever it is. they will contact his doctor. what needs to be understood here, is transparency. hide facts, get royally reamed later. the company in of itself, has THE RIGHT to search any truck, any time, and the contents of ALL driver's belongings.....and his personal vehicle when parked on company property, we all know that, ABF, Yellow, NEMF...same policies......

he has to disclose ALL meds he is taking.
This is true and it is in the DOT regulations. A true story...every time I got sick and went to the doctor and came home with some meds, antibiotics, decongestants, etc I would stand in the window with the bottle and show it to my dispatcher. He always said, "I don't care". :shrug:

Why do you need med's for depression?
When I was a P & D driver for 45 years I had a ton of stuff that could make me depressed.
But I didn't let much bother me.
With different personalities I had to deal with I went by this....If anyone had a problem with me,it was their problem not mine.
If anyone had any thing negative..I was of a mine,until they had something more positive to share I didn't want to hear it.
After the difficult deliveries & at the end of the day on my way into my terminal,I'd scream & holler my guts out.
Sometimes singing & shouting as loud as I could,by the time I backed to the dock,dropped my route trailer,I was pretty mellow.
So that there is my answer to depression with no side effects.

This is true and it is in the DOT regulations. A true story...every time I got sick and went to the doctor and came home with some meds, antibiotics, decongestants, etc I would stand in the window with the bottle and show it to my dispatcher. He always said, "I don't care". :shrug:
dispatches could give a care..safety will crawl all over us in an accident.