XPO | Employee Engagement Part 3: Appling Discretionary Effort

Merdock

Kool-aid-aholic
Credits
In preparation of this week's engagement survey and celebrating "Keep the Dream Alive", we've discussed employee engagement, careers, and culture. For many years during this celebration we have signed a poster reflecting everyone's support of the "Dream" and Con-Way's culture. But the research discussed in parts one and two show that a company's culture and said company's employee level of engagement directly influence one another. Annually we are shown the touchy-feel-ie video showing all the smiling faces of Con-Way and given all the particulars of what our dream is and how great our culture is.

But...

if culture is defined as the sum of an organization's behaviors and practices, should we not treat this next week as a beginning instead of an anniversary? Should the survey be that base or foundation of present culture at the local level that will be used to formulate a strategy to improve the employee engagement going forward?

Every action has a cause and an effect. Our "Dream" has been implemented as to what our culture and core values will be. This being the cause, our performance or engagement as employees has been expected to be "automatic" because this is the effect they expected. But is this not truly backwards? Just how has the "old school trucking" model of engaging employees been successful. Isn't the true culture of this company the sum of the behaviors and practices at every location all melted together in one big pot? What do you think they would smell and taste in this concoction?

Take the opportunity this week to participate in the survey with your heart and soul. Positive change is possible. The first three steps in Sigma Six involve determining where you are today and using all this information to fill the pot I mentioned above. From that point it will be interesting whether they throw out the mixture or accept that they created it and that they themselves can change some of the ingredients to improve the taste.

If you truly need an opportunity to stand on your feelings against all this, complete the survey, then simply decline to sign any poster, doctrine, or card for the next six months waiting to see positive action taken on account of the survey.

One last point;
for two weeks we have been discussing how we should operate our company going forward in future years. Most others in this industry are still wondering if they will even be employed in another year.

I personally look forward to the engagement survey. I hope everyone will be frank and not pencil whip this as we have done in the past. I don't believe in profane language ,but being frank and to the point may help them to understand our feelings'.It is well over do -this company has lost a feeling of family as it has gotten larger . we and our bussiness have suffered. we cannot change the future if we do not speak our minds i hope they will listen.

In preparation of this week's engagement survey and celebrating "Keep the Dream Alive", we've discussed employee engagement, careers, and culture. For many years during this celebration we have signed a poster reflecting everyone's support of the "Dream" and Con-Way's culture. But the research discussed in parts one and two show that a company's culture and said company's employee level of engagement directly influence one another. Annually we are shown the touchy-feel-ie video showing all the smiling faces of Con-Way and given all the particulars of what our dream is and how great our culture is.

But...

if culture is defined as the sum of an organization's behaviors and practices, should we not treat this next week as a beginning instead of an anniversary? Should the survey be that base or foundation of present culture at the local level that will be used to formulate a strategy to improve the employee engagement going forward?

Every action has a cause and an effect. Our "Dream" has been implemented as to what our culture and core values will be. This being the cause, our performance or engagement as employees has been expected to be "automatic" because this is the effect they expected. But is this not truly backwards? Just how has the "old school trucking" model of engaging employees been successful. Isn't the true culture of this company the sum of the behaviors and practices at every location all melted together in one big pot? What do you think they would smell and taste in this concoction?

Take the opportunity this week to participate in the survey with your heart and soul. Positive change is possible. The first three steps in Sigma Six involve determining where you are today and using all this information to fill the pot I mentioned above. From that point it will be interesting whether they throw out the mixture or accept that they created it and that they themselves can change some of the ingredients to improve the taste.

If you truly need an opportunity to stand on your feelings against all this, complete the survey, then simply decline to sign any poster, doctrine, or card for the next six months waiting to see positive action taken on account of the survey.

One last point;
for two weeks we have been discussing how we should operate our company going forward in future years. Most others in this industry are still wondering if they will even be employed in another year.

What has changed at Conway that would give me even a little reason to follow along in your approach?
Nothing!

How could I possibly expect anything other then the norm?
The poster?
We are forced to sign that.

What has changed at Conway that would give me even a little reason to follow along in your approach?
Nothing!

The poster?

ah grasshopper...
that's why you must wait...
wait for seven suns to set before you may read part four, the final installment of my engagement series

Got us a real cliff hanger here......................

I'll be sure to tune in.

Nothing!

The poster?

If you are not expecting or hoping for change then you will see none...if you think there will be no variance from the norm...then you won't see it when it happens.

I don't like Con-Way anymore...having said that...there is an outside chance that change is possible.

But not with our current corporate leadership or lack thereof

I am going to give it one last shot (and do mean one!!!)...Con-Way has spent their last bit of commitment capital with me!!!...this time it is put your money where your mouth is or shut the hell up!

This time it is survive or die...but just do it and be done with it!!!...stop jerking me off with all the BS!

Rat :ranting2:

If you are not expecting or hoping for change then you will see none...if you think there will be no variance from the norm...then you won't see it when it happens.

I don't like Con-Way anymore...having said that...there is an outside chance that change is possible.

But not with our current corporate leadership or lack thereof

I am going to give it one last shot (and do mean one!!!)...Con-Way has spent their last bit of commitment capital with me!!!...this time it is put your money where your mouth is or shut the hell up!

This time it is survive or die...but just do it and be done with it!!!...stop jerking me off with all the BS!

Oh, if Conway changes their behavior, I think I will notice. As I've said over and over again, It matters not even a little what they say. What matters is what they do. THAT is what I watch.

:ranting2:
Oh, if Conway changes their behavior, I think I will notice. As I've said over and over again, It matters not even a little what they say. What matters is what they do. THAT is what I watch.

And I so ever agree...

Too many talking empty heads.

Way too many people making rules and edicts trying to justify their wage...

Some of the above mentioned folks need to be Eco-Termed because they have no talent other than p*ssing down your neck and mine...

Like I said...I am willing to give them one more chance...then it is adios...

And I am not alone in this postion!

Rat

We'll see what bone they throw us after compiling all of our surveys.

If they economy gets a little better, they will give us our vacations back or maybe our 5% back and we will all completely forget about the rest of our takeaways. Guess I really should be grateful if they give us a new toaster or something.............

If they economy gets a little better, they will give us our vacations back or maybe our 5% back and we will all completely forget about the rest of our takeaways. Guess I really should be grateful if they give us a new toaster or something.............

You will never get the 5% back...as you will not get back your vacations...

Not under the current leadership anyway!...and you be damn lucky to get anymore 401K match!

Oh...and there will be no toaster!!...only burnt employees!!!

And I so ever agree...

Some of the above mentioned folks need to be Eco-Termed because they have no talent other than p*ssing down your neck and mine...

Rat

No you are not. I will be in the line, right behind you.

Yep, same here. Once my 401k is fully vested I plan to move on. When I came to ConWay I was looking for a career. The pension plan was one of the biggest reasons why I made the move to ConWay. That's gone. They stole my retirement, stole my money, stole from my 401k, stole a years worth of vacation and pto's, and traded my career for a job. So what is there here that isn't offered somewhere else now?

I'm buying...but that is beyond the point...

Excuse me here while I rant a little...

Too many times in the past I have read "I am just a dumb@ss truck driver"...Knock it off!!

What you are is the face of the company...plain and simple you are the one person the customer sees on a regular basis. You are the one and (usually) only interaction the shipper has with Con-Way...yeah they may contact with dispatch of a CSR...but you are there in person.

They know you either by reputation or brand recognition...you may be their regular driver or perhaps a fill-in but you are known nonetheless...

We need to stop demeaning ourselves to the powers that be...if it were not for you and I the company would not exist.

Just how much customer interaction do the 'talking heads' have with the shipper???...easy...none!

Stand up and be recognized for what you are...a DSR for Con-Way and don't allow anyone to take that from you.

You have one of the most important jobs in this organization...recognize it and be responsible for it!!!

OK...rant is over....as you were...please let the bitc...g continue.

When I came to ConWay I was looking for a career.

I wonder if that concept (career) is applicable in today's society, regardless of the industry, or position. (rhetorical question)....

When I walked into the SCM's office on that fatefull day, about 16yrs ago, I remember telling him that I wasn't looking for my next job, I was looking for my last one. My how things can change in such a short span of time.

I wonder if that concept (career) is applicable in today's society, regardless of the industry, or position. (rhetorical question)....

When I walked into the SCM's office on that fatefull day, about 16yrs ago, I remember telling him that I wasn't looking for my next job, I was looking for my last one. My how things can change in such a short span of time.

I said those exact same words.

Yup, things change.

I told my original SCM the exact same thing...if I knew then what I know now...

Well...you get the idea!...

And I so ever agree...

Rat
you have been on the money lately, but this one more chance montra is starting to sound like a battered woman.

you have been on the money lately, but this one more chance montra is starting to sound like a battered woman.

Nothing has changed, so perhaps he is trying to gain a consensus amongst the rest of us batter women.

i wonder, how low the air is going to be set in ALL the offices this summer. May I suggest maybe 86f, and that is still cool enough for all the computers, also I wonder if we could have someone take a wheel of two from the bottom of the office chairs, or flaten some, and maybe take some padding out of the seats and backrest or maybe even bend the chairs so they sit cockeyed, then these managers might get a taste of their own medicine