XPO | End of Con-way Truckload

Hogger

TB Lurker
Credits
Just so you all know: On 9/3, CFI will absorb the Con-way Truckload operation.

It's just a matter of time until the LTL arm is spun off.

Ok, I missed something... How does our purchase of a truckload carrier and molding our current truckload operation into the much larger and more experienced CFI organization have anything to do with an LTL spinoff?

Or is this simply the black helicopters hovering around again?

No, it is not a case of black helicopters or Con-way attempting to capture additional revenue by buying out other carriers. The issue that the majority of DSR's, CSR's and, what we call, management fails to see is the forest through the trees.

The nature of the economy, distribution patters, fuel costs, Loss and Damage Claims, actual freight cost per mile, service, alternative options are all on a shipper mind and drive more and more customers away from Con-way: Sure we attract customers from time to time, they learn, move to other carries, yet provide us with a few scraps from time to time.

If anyone has a clue about logistics one sees that the shipper now has many offers on his plate which Con-way has failed at providing With its: "Air", 'Solutions", Truckload and Intermodal...the LTL side is " Me Too" and very costly.

At the corporate level the issue, economy of scale, is the bottom line: How to maximize profits. We see daily, institutions buying and selling other companies, as we see with the current drift of movement within Con-way: It isn't LTL focused: The question is when will the Board of Directors conclude that the time has come to sell off an "arm" which is not producing the desired result and acquire something else: Providing logistic services does make money...lots of it.

Now, could Con-way substantially improve the the bottom line?: Yes...I will not show the powers at be however, it would be very costly and one needs and iron hand as well.

No, it is not a case of black helicopters or Con-way attempting to capture additional revenue by buying out other carriers. The issue that the majority of DSR's, CSR's and, what we call, management fails to see is the forest through the trees.

The nature of the economy, distribution patters, fuel costs, Loss and Damage Claims, actual freight cost per mile, service, alternative options are all on a shipper mind and drive more and more customers away from Con-way: Sure we attract customers from time to time, they learn, move to other carries, yet provide us with a few scraps from time to time.

If anyone has a clue about logistics one sees that the shipper now has many offers on his plate which Con-way has failed at providing With its: "Air", 'Solutions", Truckload and Intermodal...the LTL side is " Me Too" and very costly.

At the corporate level the issue, economy of scale, is the bottom line: How to maximize profits. We see daily, institutions buying and selling other companies, as we see with the current drift of movement within Con-way: It isn't LTL focused: The question is when will the Board of Directors conclude that the time has come to sell off an "arm" which is not producing the desired result and acquire something else: Providing logistic services does make money...lots of it.

Now, could Con-way substantially improve the the bottom line?: Yes...I will not show the powers at be however, it would be very costly and one needs and iron hand as well.

There are way too many drivers who never accept change. They are stuborn and that's that. With the lack of "quality" new hires and aprrectices, we might be in trouble folks. LTL is not what it was 5 or 10 years ago, it's evolving and we are in the stone age. The mentality of drivers has too be changed and without it everything and everyone better watch themselves. Conway just like any company can collapse, quickly. It's gotten worse, IMHO and I am considering leaving soon. If in fact I get out of the LTL industry I won't look back.

There are way too many drivers who never accept change. They are stuborn and that's that. With the lack of "quality" new hires and aprrectices, we might be in trouble folks. LTL is not what it was 5 or 10 years ago, it's evolving and we are in the stone age. The mentality of drivers has too be changed and without it everything and everyone better watch themselves. Conway just like any company can collapse, quickly. It's gotten worse, IMHO and I am considering leaving soon. If in fact I get out of the LTL industry I won't look back.

Well if it does collapse, I've got little to lose. Although, a year ago when I had a pension, I would have been very upset. The motivation to do my part to ensure the health of this Corporation was once very strong.

Not that I am wishing ill will on The Corporation, but if Conway fails, I lost only senority - I'll be working elsewhere the next morning.

Just so you all know: On 9/3, CFI will absorb the Con-way Truckload operation.

It's just a matter of time until the LTL arm is spun off.

Did you fortget the Conway bought CFI, not the other way around? CFI will cease to exist and become Conway Truckload. Lay off the Art Bell and quit looking for a conspiracy in everything.:1036316054:

Did you forget the Conway bought CFI, not the other way around? CFI will cease to exist and become Conway Truckload. Lay off the Art Bell and quit looking for a conspiracy in everything.:1036316054:

prezars:
i did hear that con-way truckload is done and it will become CFI a con-way company.
from what I'm hearing all the Volvo will be headed to freight and the truckload guys will be driving KW's.

I don't agree! The slow down of freight in the ltl sector has alot to do with the economy, we have seen alot of our jobs in manufacturing going over sea's and down to mexico, amongst other sectors of our economy that relied on ltl carriers to move freight. As long as a company out there needs a pallet or 2 moved from here to there you will always need a ltl carrier to move it! No company is ever going to call up CFI or any other truckload carrier and say, we have 1 pallet weighing 1200lbs, can you come pick it up and drive it to LA for us. Companies have left the country, but other companies have stayed, and they need ltl services.

It would be nice if we had a business class along with a few other classes. Does anyone remember that Con-way bought CFI and put Con-way Truckload under CFI, then closed Con-way Truckload, and in the mist of it all Con-way put CFI under the Menlo brand with a 500 million bridge loan, ( thought con-way was a cash rich company ), with all that is going on with the smoke and mirrors it would be a good time to reread hoggers post. Yes it is time for change, but on who`s back? Con-way is a good company and will be around for a time yet, but in what model and at what price?

It would be nice if we had a business class along with a few other classes. Does anyone remember that Con-way bought CFI and put Con-way Truckload under CFI, then closed Con-way Truckload, and in the mist of it all Con-way put CFI under the Menlo brand with a 500 million bridge loan, ( thought con-way was a cash rich company ), with all that is going on with the smoke and mirrors it would be a good time to reread hoggers post. Yes it is time for change, but on who`s back? Con-way is a good company and will be around for a time yet, but in what model and at what price?
If you bought something that you were unsure would work, would you loan it the money, or would you have it borrow the money on the commercial market? If the new company goes belly up, it stiffs the banks, not the parent.

There seems to be a bit of skepticism in the investment community seeing how we have been put on a credit watch.Looks like people are not sure if this is going to put us in a bind or not.I am starting to wonder if this company is not in as good of financial health as one would be led to believe or are we being fooled by this sudden case of downward financial prognosis into thinking we are broke.Could be just smoke and mirrors to make us believe we are in trouble so the cut backs will be easier to swallow,you know work harder for less for the benefit of the corporate brass and the shareholder. I have absolutely no problem with a business being profitable,but when you are not being told the truth about things or just flat out lied to,well that just rubs my fur the wrong way and makes me an unhappy camper. Ok getting down off of my soapbox now.

What if Conway the parent corp decides Logistics and Truckload are more appealing than LTL. What if Conway has an interested buyer for LTL who doesnt want the Logistics and Truckload side, maybe because they have their own or maybe because Conway wont sell TL. So Conway buys an established TL carrier and merges it with their own (the name is irrelevant as Conway owns it either way and actually the name CFI is more recognizable in TL) and sells the LTL side to whomever?

Possible

What if Conway the parent corp decides Logistics and Truckload are more appealing than LTL. What if Conway has an interested buyer for LTL who doesnt want the Logistics and Truckload side, maybe because they have their own or maybe because Conway wont sell TL. So Conway buys an established TL carrier and merges it with their own (the name is irrelevant as Conway owns it either way and actually the name CFI is more recognizable in TL) and sells the LTL side to whomever?

It would seem probable too me if they sold out the LTL side of things. Why not, they could use the money and give them a huge benefit in pushing CFI hard and fast into the big game. We could all be working for someone new, damm that means we would need new uniforms, that sucks!:hysterical:

I seriuosly doubt that Conway is done with the LTL thing... Look at who has clammered about to get into the LTL game in the last few years... Everybody wants a share of the LTL market... LTL is the highest revenue generator in the industry (not counting the parcel gig).
Conway's system is versatile and player friendly. Their not hurting at all. All they're doing (with CFI and the TL service) is entering into new markets, looking for new niches. I don't really see this as any kind of earth shattering revamp.

I seriuosly doubt that Conway is done with the LTL thing... Look at who has clammered about to get into the LTL game in the last few years... Everybody wants a share of the LTL market... LTL is the highest revenue generator in the industry (not counting the parcel gig).
Conway's system is versatile and player friendly. Their not hurting at all. All they're doing (with CFI and the TL service) is entering into new markets, looking for new niches. I don't really see this as any kind of earth shattering revamp.

I think we are hurting, look at the drivers that left and leave. On the left coast which is the busiest for conway we have problems at almost every terminal. The older guys are retiring and there is a big gap then coming. With the 5 year wage increases you won't get many quality guys willing too come aboard since you can get it that in 2 or 3 anywhere else almost.