Estes | Estes East Trucks

INTOTHENOW

TB Lurker
Credits
Just curious and thought it might be fun to hear about the Biggest Hill you have gone up or down in one the Big E east trucks, you know the one I'm talking about no Jake Brake, but with a small motor that can do great things. Come on its story time.
By the way mine went :TR10driving03: with 45, 000 in pups going down 79 in West Virginia.

Con-way driver here so you know what our ::shit:: trucks do..

I84 pulling Port Jervis down to about 25 MPH for the last mile or so with 40K. Meanwhile, FedEx Freight zooms by me with the same weight. Going down the brakes get a workout as the 350 Detroit with no jake and a seven speed reaches all time high rpm's.

i smoked my breaks coming from grand junction coming back into denver on the way over to grand junction i had to go around the haz mat route. unlike anything ive ever seen man where does all that snow go when it melts

Con-way driver here so you know what our ::shit:: trucks do..

I84 pulling Port Jervis down to about 25 MPH for the last mile or so with 40K. Meanwhile, FedEx Freight zooms by me with the same weight. Going down the brakes get a workout as the 350 Detroit with no jake and a seven speed reaches all time high rpm's.

I have done port jarvis in my fedex freight truck and believe me, I was not zooming by anyone.

Worst I ever smoked the brakes on the way down one was mount eagle on 24 in TN the first time I ever went that way in Jan of 94

Worst I ever smoked the brakes on the way down one was mount eagle on 24 in TN the first time I ever went that way in Jan of 94

My brakes smoke every time down the east side of Monteagle(when loaded). Ofcourse I could prevent that but I get a little impatient. They have plenty of time too cool before I get to the choo choo.:TR10driving03:

This is a funny thread for a city driver to read... The only thing I've smoked in ten years, is my knee! :TR10driving03:

Biggest Hill

here's my story......a couple of years ago I was driving an 8100 on I-64 in West Virginia. It was Wed night/Thurs morning of the Thanksgiving Weekend. When i dropped my first gear to pull Sandstone, the air-to-air hose for the turbo blew off. Took me(literally) over 30 mins to pull the hill. I had to go all the way up in 1st gear. Called my meet man at Tamarack to let him know I would be late and he drove to the exit 133 at top of hill and STILL beat me there!! By the way....seems impossible, but breakdown found a vendor and had me rolling in under 2 hours on Thanksgiving morning!!

here's my story......a couple of years ago I was driving an 8100 on I-64 in West Virginia. It was Wed night/Thurs morning of the Thanksgiving Weekend. When i dropped my first gear to pull Sandstone, the air-to-air hose for the turbo blew off. Took me(literally) over 30 mins to pull the hill. I had to go all the way up in 1st gear. Called my meet man at Tamarack to let him know I would be late and he drove to the exit 133 at top of hill and STILL beat me there!! By the way....seems impossible, but breakdown found a vendor and had me rolling in under 2 hours on Thanksgiving morning!!

A good quick fix for blowing off the turbo air to air hose is to take a metal coat hanger and wrap it twice around were the clamp was. Then take a pair of pliers, vice grips or screwdriver and twist it till it tightens up on the hose. If you do it right it will hold as good as the clamp did and get you back home.:thumbsup: