Estes | estes express lines Extra Board system

Sure beats the heck out of minimum wage at WalMart or McD, dontcha think? Everybody has to start somewhere and pay their dues. I did it, and all of the other drivers at the terminal I'm out of did it. Not the most fun time in the world, but I sure was making oodles more money here staying out all week than what I was at my last job, staying out all week AND loading/unloading/waiting/etc. Just my own humble opinion though of course. :smile1:

Most LTL job's out there require you to do some sort of extra board type of work before you get a regular bid. If you can find a company that doesn't have that and you get a bid right away. Thats even better.

How about this for a scenario? You offer your employees top pay,benefits,and your working conditions reward the senority strap. Thus eliminating the revolving door syndrome. Your drivers, (over years) become extremely loyal. Thus eliminating poor morale,union activity,etc. Wow,sounds like a company I once knew. You guessed it. (G.I.) It took an act of god to get hired. You needed a lot of experience, excellent record, and heavily recomended by someone with respect already employeed. That being said. You had to really pay your dues before you landed your rewards.ie. a nice truck,a bid run,vacations in the summer. etc. As far as I'm concerned, this teaches a driver character. Sacrafice now for rewards later. Eliminating this primadonna attitude we see in so many of the younger drivers today.

Your extra board at estes is not a bad gig. I know guys who did it and if everything worked well they could do 3200 miles get there 34 off at home reset and start all over again. Thats damn good money even at the starting rate.

the avg is 2700 miles a week.2700 x 42.5 =1147.00.you can make the same running the city.and sleep in your own bed.no pay for waiting for your load.

with the slow down we have some guys only getting 1900 miles a week.you never know what you are getting with that extra board.where i work no one will take a extra board run.they have to hire outside drivers.mostly old men from compaines like swift, texas express.i would never do it.

with the slow down we have some guys only getting 1900 miles a week.you never know what you are getting with that extra board.where i work no one will take a extra board run.they have to hire outside drivers.mostly old men from compaines like swift, texas express.i would never do it.

I understand that. I would rather do extra board than work city even though you wait for your loads. sometimes you move on 10 sometimes you dont. That is why it is called extra board.

I understand that. I would rather do extra board than work city even though you wait for your loads. sometimes you move on 10 sometimes you dont. That is why it is called extra board.

but most of the time you wait 14-16 hours only too get a load that was closed out 8 hours before. been there done that

mabe some of us like running extra boardive been here for 10 years ive only ran extar board an gree board by choice im noumber 2 on line haul board so i couldl have took a run

It's all what you like. Some drivers hate running city, period. You have to account for everybody preferences. If that works for you, great ! You just can't believe it would work for all of us. Have a good week.

when running the extra board do you guys still have to carry towels, sheets, pillows and blankets for when you have to stay in a bunkroom?

I have no problem running the extra board. This is really the easest job i ever had with the most money. I feel for you guys not getting out and the waiting time is terrible some times. I just hopes it picks up soon for all involved