Estes | Estes out West

BronnWins

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi,

I am a driver out of NJ looking to eventually move out West, most likely to Las Vegas. I'm with Yellow now, but will switch to Estes or Old Dominion then transfer over. You can read more about me here: https://www.truckingboards.com/bb/threads/estes-vs-old-dominion.115848/

Anyway I had some questions about Estes out of Vegas area, specifically about how bad it is during the Winter and running California. I've been browsing through the forums here to find out what I could.

1. The snow
The thing about snow and mountains for me is that it really isn't that big a deal on the East Coast. I got stuck in snow in my first year of trucking OTR in Wyoming and I quickly learned that West Coast mountains are a pain in the ass. The thing is, no one ever taught me how to chain up. Never learned at my CDL school, and you don't have to chain up in the East Coast. Vegas always was one of my ideal landing spots trucking wise in terms of quality of life but I have always thought it was just about the worst place in terms of where you would be dispatched. https://www.truckingboards.com/bb/threads/las-vegas-vs-phoenix-linehaul-transfer.77378/

I would have to get trained on how to chain if I transfer to Vegas. I'm not sure what my question is really. How much is it really a pain in the ass being extra-board out of Vegas area in terms of bad weather? like...how many times a year do you typically have to chain up? And is it something where once you learn how to do it, it's not that big a deal?

2. California
So based on my research, drivers out of California get paid hourly but for a driver out of Nevada or Phoenix that drives into California, they get paid by mileage regardless of whether they are restricted by the 55mph limit. Is this correct? Because to me, that seems very unfair. One of the things that attracted me to switch companies was that being governed 62/63 mph vs 67/68mph absolutely does increase the size of your potential paycheck (not to mention you guys cpm is higher than Yellow's).

3. Estes West cpm
From what I have read Estes West generally get paid higher, but when I compared the cpm of Estes in NJ vs Nevada, NJ was higher. Am I not understanding something correctly?

Overall any Extraboard/bid drivers here out of Vegas? How much money can you expect to make out there?

1. Get over the chaining fear. Make it easy, have someone show you how and practice when the elements are good at the terminal. It's not that tough. If out of Las Vegas, you will need to chain on rare occasion, especially in the Winter/Spring pacific flow. And if a runner, you'll see SLC/Denver, often, guaranteed chaining.

2. No, it's not true, California drivers get paid the same, CPM. They only get paid hourly (linehaul) if running City to City terminals in California.

3. It's basically the same, East/West, slight differences with first three years depending on terminal. Hooks and drops paid a little more by West.

As always, depends on how much you drive? Do 3400 miles a week for Central, no limits, you'll make 120k the first year. The miles are there, if you prove to them, that you're a runner. Vegas is always looking for drivers.

Last edited:
California speed limit is 55 mph for CMV, FYI.

As for chaining, you can learn how to do that from YouTube. Seriously. But when you get out west, ask a driver to walk you through it on the yard. Now its a lot easier to chain up on a sunny day on the yard than it is at 3am when it's 15 degrees on the chain up area of the interstate, but it'll give you an idea. Once you do it a few times it's not hard .

Most of the western states have chain up laws of some sort, but they're all a little different.

California speed limit is 55 mph for CMV, FYI.

As for chaining, you can learn how to do that from YouTube. Seriously. But when you get out west, ask a driver to walk you through it on the yard. Now its a lot easier to chain up on a sunny day on the yard than it is at 3am when it's 15 degrees on the chain up area of the interstate, but it'll give you an idea. Once you do it a few times it's not hard .

Most of the western states have chain up laws of some sort, but they're all a little different.
I dont know man, the chaining on youtube wasnt very good for me. I do believe its something where if I'm taught and I do it a couple times it'll be straightforward though like you said its a bit different when theres snow all inside your boots and the chain is ice-cold and your fingers are numb.

Yeah I know about the 55mph. You can push it to a bit above that but its still BS.

55mph * 70cents a mile = $38.5 / hr
68mph * 70cents a mile = $47.6 / hr

Totally makes a difference. Part of the reason why I want to switch from Yellow (62-63mph tops)

Has anyone ever bobtailed to a gym/groceries at a hotel on extraboard? I'm figure I can get planet fitness black card and generally speaking there will be one nearby. I figure I can occasionally use lyft as well as doordash for grocery delivery for healthy eating.

Has anyone ever bobtailed to a gym/groceries at a hotel on extraboard? I'm figure I can get planet fitness black card and generally speaking there will be one nearby. I figure I can occasionally use lyft as well as doordash for grocery delivery for healthy eating.
All the time. Just be careful you stay on PC.

I am driver out of Salt Lake and I run meet and turn with Vegas. They just had 2 guys retiring recently ( one of them my old meet driver),and 1 transferred to Salt Lake, so they were looking for help. TM is a good dude, and as far as i know there is no backstabbing ,and bs going on. Like most of the places you start on the extra and move up ,and you will stay busy. They usually run to Phoenix ,Cali, Salt Lake, Grand Junction.... usually not farter then 2 dispatch days, and Pacific North West here and there. When I was extra i would always go with the freight, and 110.000/120.000 is yours if you are willing to run. All runs are paid by MILES ,even going to Cali. When it comes to winter driving ,and going over the mountains you get used to it after couple of years. Road closures were bigger problem for me when i used to run I 80,I 84, and I 70 because of the day cab ,but usually i would be on the phone with corporate lodging looking for room in the area. Chaining is really simple, especially if you are on the flat( at least for me),and usually every term. that size and bigger here have driver trainer , or guys who run hills so they can also help you learn. Estes is pretty laid back place, don't get in a trouble ,and they leave you alone. I hope this helps ,and good luck to you whatever you decide driver.

I am driver out of Salt Lake and I run meet and turn with Vegas. They just had 2 guys retiring recently ( one of them my old meet driver),and 1 transferred to Salt Lake, so they were looking for help. TM is a good dude, and as far as i know there is no backstabbing ,and bs going on. Like most of the places you start on the extra and move up ,and you will stay busy. They usually run to Phoenix ,Cali, Salt Lake, Grand Junction.... usually not farter then 2 dispatch days, and Pacific North West here and there. When I was extra i would always go with the freight, and 110.000/120.000 is yours if you are willing to run. All runs are paid by MILES ,even going to Cali. When it comes to winter driving ,and going over the mountains you get used to it after couple of years. Road closures were bigger problem for me when i used to run I 80,I 84, and I 70 because of the day cab ,but usually i would be on the phone with corporate lodging looking for room in the area. Chaining is really simple, especially if you are on the flat( at least for me),and usually every term. that size and bigger here have driver trainer , or guys who run hills so they can also help you learn. Estes is pretty laid back place, don't get in a trouble ,and they leave you alone. I hope this helps ,and good luck to you whatever you decide driver.
What wheels do you chain on a open geared tandem ( no posi unit in pumpkin)

I run a lay down run and hit the Planet Fitness everyday I’m out of town, kudos to you for thinking about your health, most don’t. You can pretty much go wherever whenever on your layover within reason.

I run a lay down run and hit the Planet Fitness everyday I’m out of town, kudos to you for thinking about your health, most don’t. You can pretty much go wherever whenever on your layover within reason.
Yeah I got in a bit worse shape during Corona, but since May I've gotten in much better shape. I'm like you I am on a laydown run and I have no problems working out and eating a planned diet right now. Extraboard will be a bit harder but the tricks I learned during my laydown run will help me out I think. I'm leaning towards Estes and finalized my application a few days ago, but I still want to continue my diet and workout while being extraboard so I've been planning how I'm going to make it work.

I have an interview coming up.

Should I mention I want to transfer terminals within xyz timeframe (couple months to a year) during the interview or keep it to myself?