Estes | extra board

driver4a1

TB Lurker
Credits
thinking of switching from city to extra board, can anyone tell me how long the average they were on it before they got a steady run. how long does everyone stay out, and how much time do you get off before going back out. seems to me drivers only get one and half days off.

i know i can ask drivers at my terminal, just trying to see what everyone says and know someone isnt just feeding me some bull.

thinking of switching from city to extra board, can anyone tell me how long the average they were on it before they got a steady run. how long does everyone stay out, and how much time do you get off before going back out. seems to me drivers only get one and half days off.

i know i can ask drivers at my terminal, just trying to see what everyone says and know someone isnt just feeding me some bull.

Your guess is good as anyone's, on getting a schedule run. It varies. Ususally you stay out 5 days. Off time is close to 2 days, sometimes after your 34 is up. Depends on freight levels. That's why it's called extra board. If there is freight at your terminal and it needs to move, guess who moves it. I ran extra for another company, years ago, I enjoyed it. But, I was 25 years old and wanted to make the big bucks.Good luck.

seems to me drivers only get one and half days off.

It depends on the time they get out Monday night. Some terminals are late terminals and some are early. If you get out late on Mondays you normally will be home for 3 days. If luck is on your side you can get in on Friday afternoon and be home nearly 4 days. I never heard of an extra boarder only being home for 1 1/2 days unless he want's to stay out an extra day. If you run ahead of the game you can run an extra load and gross $2k like BB was talking about.
Day 1 ……….......... Day 2 …………....... Day 3 …………........... Day 4 ………............ Day 5
11pm-10am ............. 9pm-8am ………….. 7pm-6am ………. ......6pm-5am …………......... 3pm-1130pm
Mon-Tue... ………….. Tue- Wed ………… Wed-Thu …………....... Thu-Fri ……………...... Friday---if your lucky!!!!:biglaugh:

that bid deal depends on where you are and whats going on. i would make the switch now because we are picking back up and bids will be added

how much time do you get off before going back out. seems to me drivers only get one and half days off.

Ok, I home and will be here for 3 1/2 days unless they get jam packed with freight. Some folks got home yesterday. Gotta go cut the grass and then start on the honey dooo's:ranting2:

Well It all depends on what you wanna do, Extra Board is a little rough to me, have not liked it much since I got put back into it after they got rid of the green board.
Could have been Utility which is pretty much what replaces the Green Board, only they pay you less money.

But lot of sitting around on Extra board, 24 hours twice in one week waiting to get out of a terminal. But it seems to me they are playing with the Extra Board to try and get some to quit.

i have heard rumors that they want more hub drivers that will work the dock and hook a set instead of drive only linehaul. but have not seen them adding more hub runs, and the system is not set up to be that way with where the hubs are from what i can see.

Well they love the Utitlity guys, but after being here for 8 years it would be like starting at the bottom again, you just don't know what to do anymore.
Lastest rumor I heard is they would like to get rid of the Extra Board.
So where would that put me then? I'm tired of going backwards all the time.

i have heard rumors that they want more hub drivers that will work the dock and hook a set instead of drive only linehaul. but have not seen them adding more hub runs, and the system is not set up to be that way with where the hubs are from what i can see.

The 3 big problems to me with the hub runs are the pay: I can fill in for our hub driver on his run and tell the night dispatcher nah, I aint working the dock tonight because im tired. I drop my trailer walk to the store and get a drink and some chips. Go back to my truck and watch the other hub drivers work the dock with my foot propped out on the door. Take a 2 hour nap. Get my trailer when it's finished. Go home and I've made a few dollars more than our scheduled hub driver that is required to work the dock.....The loss of seniority: as mentioned before. Getting older: I doubt anyone wants to be lifting any freight at 60 years old. Or going back on extraboard after 20 years with the company because of the seniority rule.

The 3 big problems to me with the hub runs are the pay: I can fill in for our hub driver on his run and tell the night dispatcher nah, I aint working the dock tonight because im tired. I drop my trailer walk to the store and get a drink and some chips. Go back to my truck and watch the other hub drivers work the dock with my foot propped out on the door. Take a 2 hour nap. Get my trailer when it's finished. Go home and I've made a few dollars more than our scheduled hub driver that is required to work the dock.....The loss of seniority: as mentioned before. Getting older: I doubt anyone wants to be lifting any freight at 60 years old. Or going back on extraboard after 20 years with the company because of the seniority rule.

That's exactly why I bid out of Hub the first chance I got. I saw all that coming. Hub is a great place to start but ya don't want to get stuck in it.

That's exactly why I bid out of Hub the first chance I got. I saw all that coming. Hub is a great place to start but ya don't want to get stuck in it.

I chased one of your drivers up the road the other day. I think he said he was 60. He came off the hub and is on extraboard for the same reason. He didn't sound thrilled about being on EB but I think he liked it better than the hub.

extraboard

I leave out on sunday's by 8pm and arrive back at home between as early as thursday 9pm to as late as friday 10am, so that would approx 2 1/2 days.

Welcome to the boards Gimit!

Yes an extra board driver is on the line haul board and can bid on line haul schedules.
We have seperate boards for P&D , Hub , team and line haul. So if a line haul schedule comes up for bid all the line haul drivers, extras and schedules , get first crack at it bidding with the time you have built up on the line haul board.