Estes | Extraboard or Utility

ha ha.. there isn't a one person on here that knows what will be in a years time more less 10 years. They could hire some more great hopes or rejects from another company who do something none of us expect. Although I agree L/H probably will always be in some capacity. I know one thing, with the matrix of BS rules they have conjured up, it's doing it's job nicely. TM telling people Utility's are exempt from cuts, others saying they are not, nobody plays by the same rules and Richmond thinks they have a nation of employees who are playing by the same play book. There isn't anyone who knows how ::shit:: works around here, except that they have a rule for everything somewhere that allows them to do what they will and eliminate whom they want. That's so much easier than using hire in dates for everything.. isn't it..
I know a guy that has done enough to get fired mowing their own lawn and still has a job because they shave, shine their shoes and tuck their shirt tails in.

finished my first week on extraboard. SUCKED! not the job it was decent, but believe it or not, some of these terminals are not the easiest to find. other than that when i have a good idea of directions, extraboard really won't be that bad. and driving in conditions not used to. and having never left the midwest while driving made it even better when asking for directions. good change of scenery. thanks for the guys that helped me with the decision.

finished my first week on extraboard. SUCKED! not the job it was decent, but believe it or not, some of these terminals are not the easiest to find. other than that when i have a good idea of directions, extraboard really won't be that bad. and driving in conditions not used to. and having never left the midwest while driving made it even better when asking for directions. good change of scenery. thanks for the guys that helped me with the decision.

Get yourself a GPS...

Get yourself a GPS...

That's right. Get urself a gps. I use a little cheap one. It's all you need. When I fist started I'd stop at the truck entrance gate and add that spot to my favorites then type the terminal number. When central says go to the guitar I just punch go to favorite 037 and I'm on my way. It also helps to determine if you have enough time to make it to a nearby terminal by checking the surrounding terminals. About 3 or 4 months you'll have nearly every terminal added to your favorites and then you will wonder how come those little gadgets arn't mandatory. (Be sure and use the big roads in Louisville. Thats one terminal I know of the gps will have you going through trailers parks... Don't ask how I know that:whistling:)

(Be sure and use the big roads in Louisville. Thats one terminal I know of the gps will have you going through trailers parks... Don't ask how I know that:whistling:)

lol...Yea same with mine. Going into to Capital Heights mine wants me to drive by the White House and the Pentagon on the way....
I found that if you use one without the 'trucker' settings you gotta use some common sense along with it. But I love mine it's a Garmin nuvi 855.
It's real handy for alot of other stuff besides finding a terminal, like going on break and looking for a good place to eat.
I found a killer barbecue place in Norfolk the other day with it that's been right around the corner all these years and I never knew it.

Try the Garmin 465T. It has 2 settings ,One for a car,then one for trucks. You can program in the your weight,height,length or even if you have Haz Mat on board.I have one,been using it in the Chicago area for alittle while.Sometimes it's right on,then another time,it shows routes that are far out of the way. I mean I know I can go other ways.

I hear the Rand McNally version is nice,too.. Gives all sorts of neat info..It's expensive,but nice..Truck Stops..Diesel repair shops and tire shops in the area..Heck if Estes would supply us all with one of these,we wouldn't need Breakdown..Except for a PO number..And dispatch could give us that..

I hear the Rand McNally version is nice,too.. Gives all sorts of neat info..It's expensive,but nice..Truck Stops..Diesel repair shops and tire shops in the area..Heck if Estes would supply us all with one of these,we wouldn't need Breakdown..Except for a PO number..And dispatch could give us that..

I was all set to get that Randy McNally one Stark, but a friend of mine scared me off it. He said his would freeze or lock up alot and he was always rebooting it.
Might have been a problem with just his, don't know, but I went with the Garmin. Figured they made a pretty good fish/depth finder so why not a GPS?

i don't really want to spend the money on a GPS because with any luck i would get a scheduled run. but an update. I am finishing up my second week on xtraboard and it is significantly better than the first week. maybe getting used to it, maybe seeing it isn't as bad as i originally thought. getting used to the bunkrooms, but as i said, I had a MUCH better week this week. One question: all i know in trucking is this linehaul and city delivery for food service. is a CB really that necessary at all? or is it more of a "chit chat" type of thing to prevent getting lonely?

having the directions to all the terminals is deffinately a plus, as conversation on cb is getting pretty bad. Sometimes you can run into someone to carry on a decent conversation with. Somtimes you can get a heads up on traffic jams or cops ahead of you. Seems to be a lot drivers using it for the purpose of instagating verbal abuse any more. personally, I have one, usually on, but squelch way up, just to try to catch traffic jams ahead of me

i have a tom tom and a mio, and i dont trust either one. they want me to take the business routes instead of bypass because it is shorter i only use them to see how many miles left and when i get off the right exit what my turns need to be. i always look at map for which interstate to use. , i seen the other day it told me to turn, i went straight to go way i know, seen 20 miles drop off of toal miles left. also was going to place other day it was on the street i was on 1/2 mile up. it told me to turn go through this neighborhood then come back to same street.