Yellow | Filed 12/20/2023.... Still More To Go:

You know it. It was all about that, stopping, meeting/talking with other drivers, kidding around with the waitresses. The dashers today don't know what they missed.

It's amazing how many breakfasts we could eat back then. If eggs and bacon were as deadly as they say we'd of been gone a long time ago. I still love going out for breakfast, we went yesterday, local old school mom and pop place.

It's amazing how many breakfasts we could eat back then. If eggs and bacon were as deadly as they say we'd of been gone a long time ago. I still love going out for breakfast, we went yesterday, local old school mom and pop place.
Funny story about breakfast. I typically would have Taylor Ham and scrambled egg on a roll for my breakfast break when I worked P&D. One time at PIE I overstayed my break for a bit when I ran into a former Maislin driver and we got to talking. Well, wouldn't you know someone spotted me and reported my long break to my TM. My steward called me over next day and said that our TM complained to him that I was spotted taking a long break having bacon and eggs at that diner. My steward said he replied to the TM that it couldn't have been me because I always had Taylor Ham and scrambled egg sandwich not bacon and eggs. We both had a good laugh and nothing more was ever said about that long break. Loved that steward. :smile new:

Not many left that remember running the Ho Chi Minh, Muller's Truck Stop, The Pink House, Milford Diner, "meat haulers curve". Good times.
At Maislin we'd stop on the shoulder of 17 in Ramsey and run across to have something at Tiffany Diner, or at Plattekill or Malden Service area. After getting my return load at Albany I'd go to Denny's in Colonie (dated a waitress there a number of times) then maybe stop and visit other "friends" at Ulster or Modena Service Areas. At one time before we had Thruway charge cards we couldn't really leave the Thruway so I'd sometimes park at the Kingston exit on the shoulder right before the toll booth and ride in to the Gateway Diner with one of the Smith drivers who could get on and off. The job was a real social event back in the day.

At Maislin we'd stop on the shoulder of 17 in Ramsey and run across to have something at Tiffany Diner, or at Plattekill or Malden Service area. After getting my return load at Albany I'd go to Denny's in Colonie (dated a waitress there a number of times) then maybe stop and visit other "friends" at Ulster or Modena Service Areas. At one time before we had Thruway charge cards we couldn't really leave the Thruway so I'd sometimes park at the Kingston exit on the shoulder right before the toll booth and ride in to the Gateway Diner with one of the Smith drivers who could get on and off. The job was a real social event back in the day.
I stopped at the Tiffany Diner occasionally, we went by there on the way to Spring Valley. I'd stop there or Paul's Diner on 46. Gateway was a good stop going to Albany, Gloversville or Pittsfield Mass. We had no destination or time start bids back then, we serviced close to 40 terminals and you never knew when or where you were going til you got to the window.

You know it. It was all about that, stopping, meeting/talking with other drivers, kidding around with the waitresses. The dashers today don't know what they missed.
I never did things like that.
I kept my left door closed, a good company man.
Not counting the time I bought a windmill and had to take it apart in about 5 trips.

Wondering if Old Dominion wishes they had purchased Maybrook now instead of Tannersville a while back? Maybrook turns more Northeast locations and is a good turn to/from Carslisle.
Is Maybrook still on the block? I didnā€™t see anyone purchase itā€¦.That would be a goldmine for ABF with turnsā€¦.

Is Maybrook still on the block? I didnā€™t see anyone purchase itā€¦.That would be a goldmine for ABF with turnsā€¦.
It's still available as far as I know. IMHO it's a perfect location for serving the Northeast terminals mostly with turns. We turned Syracuse, Plattsburgh, Manchester, Boston, Providence, Burlington and all terminals closer in. The only lay downs were Montreal, Sherbrooke, Portland, and Waterville in recent years. Of course it's a nice turn from Carlisle also.

ABF is too smart to do that- they have Carlisle. Thereā€™s no reason to have 2 big breaks that close together.
Carlisle is a nice turn from Maybrook (200+ miles one way) and most Northeast terminals would be turns from Maybrook. What's not smart about that arrangement? Both original Roadway and original Yellow saw the advantage of breaks turnable to the Northeast, i.e., Tannersville and Maybrook as well as breaks at Carlisle and Lancaster respectively.

Because ABF believes in handing freight less, not more. Meet and turns are the way to go. As itā€™s set up now, New England should be loading a Carlisle for South freight, a Dayton for southwest, a Chicago for west coast, and a Buffalo for Canada.