Central Transport | fire @ Milwaukee

WRONGWAY

TB Lurker
Credits
So, anybody here more what cause the big fire at the Milwaukee terminal? I was sent 2 pics by a driver that works there, but I don't know how to put them on the computer for all to see.

take pics with your tablet and email me for your control #. lol. prob a demoted dockworker on a smoke break. lol.

word is vitran opened a 3rd terminal in chicagoland, in Oswego IL. anyone heard about this? they close the one in Rockford IL in 2008, then move the chicago term to Bensenville, and now this. can anyone say "musical chairs"

haven't heard anything about Oswego from our guys that go to MKM every night. IMO they need to reopen So. Bend to a break to take the load off of Markham. That place is a disaster every night. Completely landlocked and about 60 parking spots short on trailer parking. IMPOSSIBLE to break/hook a set in that yard. The Beancounter who thought this one up should be fired. The guys who work there do the best they can, but sometimes you just have to throw in the towel.

So, anybody here more what cause the big fire at the Milwaukee terminal? I was sent 2 pics by a driver that works there, but I don't know how to put them on the computer for all to see.

WgW--go to FAQ at the top of the page,go to reading and posting, then to attaching and imagining. This should tell you how to do it. You will probaby have to send from your cell to your comp. first.

word is vitran opened a 3rd terminal in chicagoland, in Oswego IL. anyone heard about this? they close the one in Rockford IL in 2008, then move the chicago term to Bensenville, and now this. can anyone say "musical chairs"

heard they are looking at half a dozen by next summer, more recently yes to the 3rd one anyway, heard this a few weeks ago but dismissed it till now

Ok, I will try to figure out the picture thing for you guys. I got a great buddy that just became a manager at the Markham Terminal, and he said it needs lots of work, but he's the man to help out with that. He has alot of knowledge and just an all out great guy to work for. Now, are you guys in the old terminal that Preston built then when they moved out we( AF/fedex freight) moved in for a long time? If so that was a very nice terminal!! I did all my growing up in that yard when the family worked at preston and then always doing a via through there on my way back to mke with fedex. I forget the address though, something 3 #'s Thorndale Ave.

Heard mechanic was welding a repair on a trailer and cargo inside caught fire, and lit two more on fire and smokes up about 4 or 5 dock areas on outside of building

They need to close Markham, this place is a dump. You need a oxygen mask just to hook and unhook cause of the amount of dirt in the air. No room to park a trailer or to put together a set.

Opening new terminals..what a joke.. at least for Dallas...the stepchild of the system.We were promised the old YRC dock with a 100+ doors in June. When they were finally out in Sept. we were told that Chris changed his mind because we were not making enough money..Pulled the rug right out from underneath us...A cruel joke i suppose. Now we are still stuck in this hell hole with no room to expand. Stacking freight because the staging areas become full...Trapping appt freight in vans then putting them on the yard to forget about. Losing freight because it gets mis-loaded in traps because the lack of room...I can understand not moving because we werent making money...but why build up our hopes...Like i say...Seems like a cruel joke..

What I heard was that a dock worker punctured a drum with the fork and when he tried to back up the fork sparked and it just lit up. They had a meeting and were told not to tell anyone and keep it in house. 5 minutes later I had a picture sent to me lol!

As far as Oswego goes, it's true. Chicago ATM is getting it, something like 23 doors. It's an old AAA cooper terminal.

Markham does suck, I hate having to via there. I wish they would split it Between Chicago and Markham. Then I could straight to Chicago.

From what I have heard the terminal in Oswego is to open next month or so.

And as far as Markham is concerned, whom ever thought of putting the hub there should be dragged to the parking lot and kicked in the balls with a steel toe boot. It went from an 80+ door terminal in Chicago to a 57 door terminal in Markham. Another case of that excellent Vitran math.

If it looks good on paper it must be right.

dock associate in MIL ran fork into pallet of paint in spray cans. Spark from fork piercing cans caused immediate fire which spread quickly. Then caused gas tank on hi lo to blow. Engulfed trailer quickly and took two others as well on either side of affected trailer. Manager saved the day, all others ran away but he grabbed two extinguishers and fought the blaze until the fire department arrived.

dock associate in MIL ran fork into pallet of paint in spray cans. Spark from fork piercing cans caused immediate fire which spread quickly. Then caused gas tank on hi lo to blow. Engulfed trailer quickly and took two others as well on either side of affected trailer. Manager saved the day, all others ran away but he grabbed two extinguishers and fought the blaze until the fire department arrived.

Not meaning to be the jerk, but did you witness these chain of events or is this second hand? Just asking because if you blew a LP tank I would think shrapnel would hurt or kill anyone around like a grenade, and half the dock would have broken ear drums.

Manager saved the day, all others ran away but he grabbed two extinguishers and fought the blaze until the fire department arrived.

Stricly against company policy from what we were told. Because of the diverse chemicals on our dock at any time, we were told just to get everyone out and let the pros deal with it, obviously this was much more than a trash can or dumpster fire

Not meaning to be the jerk, but did you witness these chain of events or is this second hand? Just asking because if you blew a LP tank I would think shrapnel would hurt or kill anyone around like a grenade, and half the dock would have broken ear drums.

LP tank did not blow until person saw lift truck get engulfed by flames and made correct assumption tank would blow and vacated area. Explosion not that big, tank was most likely near empty. If he had not been there, most likely the entire barn would have gone up.

LP tank did not blow until person saw lift truck get engulfed by flames and made correct assumption tank would blow and vacated area. Explosion not that big, tank was most likely near empty. If he had not been there, most likely the entire barn would have gone up.

OK. Can see where a near empty tank could be held in by straps and maybe just blow valves off,,,, dam lucky, I seen one blow after getting hit with a deer rifle in a forklift training film, looked like a claymore gernade going off, s**t everywhere. Now let's see the next newsletter picturing CK giving him a commendation for saving the terminal (yeah right)

Vitran doesn't have a chose but to use Markham as a hub, you get 5 trucks in bensenville and that terminal is a real cluster. Oswego 10 doors yeah right, South Bend can't use their linehaul drivers to haul freight from the east all the way to tomah, wi, minnesota or Des Moines. Any other options you all might consider is going to result in another pay cut to buy a new terminal program. Sorry that I'm not optimistic but you have to remember, I work for Vitran. Thanks for the insurance increase, I really needed to lose more money. The only thing that works consistently at Vitran is that "check engine" light on the new trucks.