Yellow | Follow the work rules ?

Keepingon

TB Legend
Credits
We have always been told if work goes from one terminal to the other you have the right to follow the work.

Now we’re hearing with this merge if the company deems your terminal as a gain you can’t follow the work that is clearly going to another terminal.

As an example, My terminal is losing a a lot of work it’s moving to a terminal 8 miles away with the coverage area we get we can see it’s enough work for half our guys. But some engineer is listing us as a plus 1.

When did the plus or minus become a factor on who can follow the work they have been doing for years? No one can find that in the contract.

These changes are killing off our customer base. The west coast is a mess, some areas not getting service until a week late.
It's like the head honchos are just pulling these changes out of a hat.
Hope they have a plan for damage control, we are losing customers and drivers.

We didn't hear anything either. All of a sudden a lot of drivers were forced on a bridge program. Most of the program being forced has ended and I heard they brought out 5 teams from the east coast to fill the gap.
But what happens if the same thing happens in the Midwest or east coast?
It all happens at great cost. So sad to see but hopefully management has a plan.

We have always been told if work goes from one terminal to the other you have the right to follow the work.

Now we’re hearing with this merge if the company deems your terminal as a gain you can’t follow the work that is clearly going to another terminal.

As an example, My terminal is losing a a lot of work it’s moving to a terminal 8 miles away with the coverage area we get we can see it’s enough work for half our guys. But some engineer is listing us as a plus 1.

When did the plus or minus become a factor on who can follow the work they have been doing for years? No one can find that in the contract.
You need to remember the 1/2 that you are getting/ keeping is only 1 carrier now not 2 so you we’ll get more freight for p/d.

Has anyone’s local scheduled meetings with their members BEFORE their meetings with the company on the change ?
I think ours is in Vegas but he has responded to my stuff on it. I got a phone book sized copy in a an envelope divided in the sections and he will be communicating with the company to find out exactly what goes on with our terminal in this COO.
I don't have the zip codes because that's probably as big as the rest. I haven't downloaded it because I don't like giving apps permission to get into all my stuff. Asked if he could get the info on our zip codes.
He's doing his job even if he is in Vegas if he's there.
And they always have here but you must be assertive because they are very busy taking care of 3x as many contracts as they should imo.
But when you let numbers drop, money drops, and not enough money for the enough BA's.

You'll probably find your gain on the charts. I got a pack of them.
Ours is on the 7th page of charts.
I think I it's called Utility Gaining/losing.

You need to remember the 1/2 that you are getting/ keeping is only 1 carrier now not 2 so you we’ll get more freight for p/d.
It will be more work in that area not more then what we had with the large area we lose. Even dispatchers looked at and say it’s not enough for half our current guys.

I think ours is in Vegas but he has responded to my stuff on it. I got a phone book sized copy in a an envelope divided in the sections and he will be communicating with the company to find out exactly what goes on with our terminal in this COO.
I don't have the zip codes because that's probably as big as the rest. I haven't downloaded it because I don't like giving apps permission to get into all my stuff. Asked if he could get the info on our zip codes.
He's doing his job even if he is in Vegas if he's there.
And they always have here but you must be assertive because they are very busy taking care of 3x as many contracts as they should imo.
But when you let numbers drop, money drops, and not enough money for the enough BA's.
If you go to the thread where Jeff posted the zip codes you don’t need an app just click the link and the zip codes open.

It will be more work in that area not more then what we had with the large area we lose. Even dispatchers looked at and say it’s not enough for half our current guys.
Consolidation means fewer employees. The point of a COO is to lower operating costs. Labor is the highest and only controllable cost.

Consolidation means fewer employees. The point of a COO is to lower operating costs. Labor is the highest and only controllable cost.
Are you actually saying Lower costs by getting rid of higher earning employees because they have seniority ?

If it’s really about lowering costs explain how a terminal that serviced the whole northern side of the state Loses work to a terminal half its size only 7 miles away instead of combining the two and saving the cost on double management and maintenance?

prime real estate in NJ if sold is millions of dollars that can pay down debt reducing interest payments.

if consolidation means fewer employees and lower costs to you why are we flying employees to the combined west at phenomenal costs ?

Our Execs have said repeatedly the purpose of doing this is better service. They said the velocity service is designed to keep drivers by allowing them to be home more, not cut them to save money.

Cover page with:Big Red Letters at top which say
MR-CO-03-11/2022
Charts
Page at bottom 121
Top says
Exhibit 1 Local Cartage
Reading gains 3 P&D
South Kearny gains 1 P&D
Baltimore gains 4 dock + 6 P&D totaling a gain of 10
Cinaminson gains 8 dock + 11 P&D totaling gain of 19

Altoona gains 4 P&D
Springfield gains 6dock and 10 P&D totaling gain of 16
Southington gains 5 P&D

Page 123 and 127 have Maspeth, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh merges.

Pg 129 has "utility follow the work opportunities".Not sure what that means.

Reading 5
Camp Hill 3
Albany 3
Providence 0
Maspeth 1
Billerica 0
Baltimore 5
Cinaminson 2
Syracuse 4
Rochester 2
Trenton 3
Pittsburgh 6
Buffalo 1
Springfield 2
Milton 2
Southington 0

Then I have charts (there are not page numbers for these) which read:
Exhibit 1
Utility Employee- gaining/Losing Locations

1st one shows Reading at top and most other NPME'S under..maybe all of them.
It shows your new UE positions.
The top codes across the top seem to be the destination terminals where your UE bids go to work the dock.

7th chart of those
Has most NPME again
That last "difference" column shows your gains and losses regarding Utility Employees

There'sore stuff...primary road terminals and meets and greets and such....but this is what I understand for our terminal so far.

It's alot of stuff.

Cover page with:Big Red Letters at top which say
MR-CO-03-11/2022
Charts
Page at bottom 121
Top says
Exhibit 1 Local Cartage
Reading gains 3 P&D
South Kearny gains 1 P&D
Baltimore gains 4 dock + 6 P&D totaling a gain of 10
Cinaminson gains 8 dock + 11 P&D totaling gain of 19

Altoona gains 4 P&D
Springfield gains 6dock and 10 P&D totaling gain of 16
Southington gains 5 P&D

Page 123 and 127 have Maspeth, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh merges.

Pg 129 has "utility follow the work opportunities".Not sure what that means.

Reading 5
Camp Hill 3
Albany 3
Providence 0
Maspeth 1
Billerica 0
Baltimore 5
Cinaminson 2
Syracuse 4
Rochester 2
Trenton 3
Pittsburgh 6
Buffalo 1
Springfield 2
Milton 2
Southington 0

Then I have charts (there are not page numbers for these) which read:
Exhibit 1
Utility Employee- gaining/Losing Locations

1st one shows Reading at top and most other NPME'S under..maybe all of them.
It shows your new UE positions.
The top codes across the top seem to be the destination terminals where your UE bids go to work the dock.

7th chart of those
Has most NPME again
That last "difference" column shows your gains and losses regarding Utility Employees

There'sore stuff...primary road terminals and meets and greets and such....but this is what I understand for our terminal so far.

It's alot of stuff.
Seen it all and understand it all but it has nothing to do with a change to the rule of following the work. The rule has always been simple,

If work goes from your terminal to another terminal you have the right to follow the work.

never mattered who gained work or lost work, The question is when did it change ? and did the Union agree to it ?

What is currently happening out West will happen here in the East but on a larger scale. It’s not opening/closing terminals allowing employees to follow the work. It’s separating the overlapping service areas into distinct coverage areas to be worked out of a single terminal location. Service areas are changing and many are shrinking yet freight volumes and density drive this. Bill counts have been studied to create this new plan. Change is coming. Change is needed. Change is necessary for survival. Besides the high debt load, this company struggles to attract new employees to replace those that retire or resign.

Here’s a thought “the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”