ABF | Found This on FaceBook

Sumting Wong

TB Lurker
Credits
As a former 003 employee. I am saddened to here about Larry Morris being shot multiple times in the parking lot at the new ABF terminal by a thug breaking into his and others cars. I have came to understand that the parking lot has a fence all around it with a sliding gate to make it secure to prevent this. Yet it has been broken for months. My apartment gets its gates fixed within at most 7 business days. How can a multimillion dollar company is not able to get their (excuse my language) crap together and have it fixed right away. Y’all can put video cameras every ten feet on the docks at terminals and make sure those are working constantly and fix any issues with them right away. Yet when it comes to employees safety in a parking lot y’all are like meh that repair can wait. When I worked at 003 I was informed that ABF is not responsible for our vehicles while working. So my vehicle sat in their parking lot for days on end while I made them money. I just find it hard to understand it all. From break ins to vehicle theft to now a shooting. ABF y’all really need to rethink y’all’s game to prevent this from happening again. Just think, what if Larry was shot dead in y’all’s parking lot because the gate was broken allowing thieves to do what they do best. Please for the sake of employees and customers take employees safety serious. As I learned in the military it is best to try to prevent then act when it’s too late.
Just so y’all know I really enjoyed working for you all. 2nd best job after army being #1. I am just venting my concerns and frustration about security on ABF property.
7 Comments

As a former 003 employee. I am saddened to here about Larry Morris being shot multiple times in the parking lot at the new ABF terminal by a thug breaking into his and others cars. I have came to understand that the parking lot has a fence all around it with a sliding gate to make it secure to prevent this. Yet it has been broken for months. My apartment gets its gates fixed within at most 7 business days. How can a multimillion dollar company is not able to get their (excuse my language) crap together and have it fixed right away. Y’all can put video cameras every ten feet on the docks at terminals and make sure those are working constantly and fix any issues with them right away. Yet when it comes to employees safety in a parking lot y’all are like meh that repair can wait. When I worked at 003 I was informed that ABF is not responsible for our vehicles while working. So my vehicle sat in their parking lot for days on end while I made them money. I just find it hard to understand it all. From break ins to vehicle theft to now a shooting. ABF y’all really need to rethink y’all’s game to prevent this from happening again. Just think, what if Larry was shot dead in y’all’s parking lot because the gate was broken allowing thieves to do what they do best. Please for the sake of employees and customers take employees safety serious. As I learned in the military it is best to try to prevent then act when it’s too late.
Just so y’all know I really enjoyed working for you all. 2nd best job after army being #1. I am just venting my concerns and frustration about security on ABF property.
7 Comments

Prayers for Mr. Morris for swift & complete recovery. May they catch the thug quickly.

7 Comments

Make sur your packin, company rules or not,at all times

Make sur your packin, company rules or not,at all times
I remember back 20-some yrs ago I got into Seattle during the July 4th weekend. As I drove by some dropped trailers, I noticed freight that had fallen out of the lead box onto the dolly, so I stopped and got out and pulled my 9mm out and swung the door open while standing out of the line of fire and hollered " come out, I've got a gun pointed at you" When no one responded, I locked the door just in case. At that point, I knew there were thieves inside the wire with me and I needed to find them before they surprised me. I assumed they would be armed. Besides, I hate a thief. Yeah, Prudence would probably dictate going back out side the fence and waiting, but I never dated that chick. They were already gone, so I called Ft Smith and they sent the safety man down to the terminal to investigate. I waited for him and the Auburn PD. We searched the yard and got up in the trailer and checked it and found the hole in the fence they cut through. While we searched, I asked Tom Welch, who was a retired Oregon State police officer, what his thoughts on carrying guns on company equipment were. He said " well, I carry mine in the company car when I am traveling, you should probably do so as well." I just smiled... I really liked Tom.

I am a license carry for a long time here. Arkansas protects my right to store weapons in car on Employer Property, but Employer has right to etc In high threat areas I am armed. And insured for such under USCCA in addition to civil liability over and way above ordinary insurane. I will need to adjust coverage amounts a little more precisely because the Insurance company people dont tell you nothing if you dont specifically ask.

I have made it a sort of a criteria in life not to be in high threat areas anymore. Cross Bronx Projects, Hunts Point, South Loop Markets chicago, Combat zone market chelsea boston sandtown, baltimore ctiy etc. etc etc etc. But not too lonely. We are a social creature and a little quiet happansence is a good

I usually make it a goal to live very quietly where there is hardly anyone around.

The biggest adjustment is physical. A little Krav and some treachery used to go a very long way. But thats been not a option due to technical range of motion and load bearing issues on several important joints. If there is a problem with a mad mad, I'll just sink a blade or blast him. And we will go from there.

I remember back 20-some yrs ago I got into Seattle during the July 4th weekend. As I drove by some dropped trailers, I noticed freight that had fallen out of the lead box onto the dolly, so I stopped and got out and pulled my 9mm out and swung the door open while standing out of the line of fire and hollered " come out, I've got a gun pointed at you" When no one responded, I locked the door just in case. At that point, I knew there were thieves inside the wire with me and I needed to find them before they surprised me. I assumed they would be armed. Besides, I hate a thief. Yeah, Prudence would probably dictate going back out side the fence and waiting, but I never dated that chick. They were already gone, so I called Ft Smith and they sent the safety man down to the terminal to investigate. I waited for him and the Auburn PD. We searched the yard and got up in the trailer and checked it and found the hole in the fence they cut through. While we searched, I asked Tom Welch, who was a retired Oregon State police officer, what his thoughts on carrying guns on company equipment were. He said " well, I carry mine in the company car when I am traveling, you should probably do so as well." I just smiled... I really liked Tom.
And to those who would call me a fool for doing that, I would have to agree. Any time you display deadly force in defense of a simple property crime with no threat of death or serious injury involved, you are on dangerous legal ground. If I had taken them into custody and they told the cops I had a gun, my thanks probably would have been a grievance hearing to get my job back, as well as possible criminal charges from Washington, since my Idaho CCW permit was not recognized by Washington at that time. Had it caused a gunfight, it would have been even worse for me. I would not do that again. BTW: there are no DOT regulations forbidding carrying guns on commercial vehicles, only state laws and employer restrictions who are worried about the legal implications for them if you are involved in a shooting while on the job.

Last edited:
I carried a buck special most of my trucking time. Nice little blade good for cutting shrinkwrap and banded material. Sometimes I think the badguys see that holster and pass me over for softer targets.

Long before 9-11 anything I used to go into Kennedy Cargo and other places packing that thing on the belt next to the chain drive wallet. No one ever paid me no mind in those days.

I shudder to think what would happen to by shot up carcass if I did that today.

I carried a buck special most of my trucking time. Nice little blade good for cutting shrinkwrap and banded material. Sometimes I think the badguys see that holster and pass me over for softer targets.

Long before 9-11 anything I used to go into Kennedy Cargo and other places packing that thing on the belt next to the chain drive wallet. No one ever paid me no mind in those days.

I shudder to think what would happen to by shot up carcass if I did that today.
It's also great for cutting the seat belt in a crash where fire is involved, like what happened to 149 driver Diane Lucero several months ago. She was lucky to be short and was able to finally slide the seat back to get the seat belt off after it locked up on impact. You need something outside the pocket that you can get to quickly. A pocket will be inacessible by the seat belt. I actually made up a throwdown wallet that I carry in a back pocket. I now slip a thin 380 auto behind it to break up the outline so it doesn't print. It has a few bucks in it and some phoney credit cards and whatnot that I have accumulated to make it look legit. I had fun putting it together and making it look as real as possible. Also nice to have the spare cash if you need it, just remember to replace it. That will be what I give them first. If they discover it is a fake, they will get the 380 next while their hands are full. If they just take it and run, well, ok. No attorneys or cops involved. But you kinda wish you could be there to see their face when they discover the fraud. It goes without saying that you need to leave fast, becuz they will really be pissed.

Last edited:
I had two predators. A little underweight and undersized which lead me to think they were maybe teens. However they presented a credible threat to me. Youse money gimme now.

I laughed in thier faces. What money. There is none to give. Its all automatic at the bank. Even if they got the one card, its a company card and needed their involvement to get any kind of cash. They did not need to know that the Pos and Neg radio post panel with it's four screws had a special evenlope underneath of it. Always have something to fall back on.

I laughed harder. Whats left? Oh the CDL/. Insurance crap? little things of no value? (Keep in mind no internet, no smart phones no identity theft as we understand it today)

They were deeply offended that I was not afraid of them and actually laughed while they gained nothing of value. Now what? They chose to attack. I retreated towards the tractor and once I got a hold of this tool or something or other I got busy.

5 drivers came out and ended the problem before the two got too badly hurt. The law came for them as did the ambulance. The load was late. Delayed about 8 to 10 hours by the whole mess. Company asked me what happened? Nothing just a robbery gone bad for them. It took about 6 weeks for a bone that got hit a certain way by a object from one of them to quit hurting. So in some ways they left their mark.

Today its a much more serious problem to contemplate and in some ways Im happy that I dont have to worry about that TOO much.

Although firearms were prohibited on company property, I carried an air weight Colt 38.
About 3 am I had switched trailers in Raliegh, sitting behind the desk waiting on the clock when a big 6'5" dude opened the door and asked if we were hiring.
I quickly jerked open the desk drawer and put my hand inside.
I told him he would need to come back when they were open.
He thanked me and left.
My gun was in my handbag outside in my unlocked truck.
Not knowing if he had stolen my gun, I called 911.
When the cop arrived much to my delight, my gun was still in my bag.
The cop said I'll bet the next time, you'll put it in your pocket before you go inside.

I had two predators. A little underweight and undersized which lead me to think they were maybe teens. However they presented a credible threat to me. Youse money gimme now.

I laughed in thier faces. What money. There is none to give. Its all automatic at the bank. Even if they got the one card, its a company card and needed their involvement to get any kind of cash. They did not need to know that the Pos and Neg radio post panel with it's four screws had a special evenlope underneath of it. Always have something to fall back on.

I laughed harder. Whats left? Oh the CDL/. Insurance crap? little things of no value? (Keep in mind no internet, no smart phones no identity theft as we understand it today)

They were deeply offended that I was not afraid of them and actually laughed while they gained nothing of value. Now what? They chose to attack. I retreated towards the tractor and once I got a hold of this tool or something or other I got busy.

5 drivers came out and ended the problem before the two got too badly hurt. The law came for them as did the ambulance. The load was late. Delayed about 8 to 10 hours by the whole mess. Company asked me what happened? Nothing just a robbery gone bad for them. It took about 6 weeks for a bone that got hit a certain way by a object from one of them to quit hurting. So in some ways they left their mark.

Today its a much more serious problem to contemplate and in some ways Im happy that I dont have to worry about that TOO much.

Although firearms were prohibited on company property, I carried an air weight Colt 38.
About 3 am I had switched trailers in Raliegh, sitting behind the desk waiting on the clock when a big 6'5" dude opened the door and asked if we were hiring.
I quickly jerked open the desk drawer and put my hand inside.
I told him he would need to come back when they were open.
He thanked me and left.
My gun was in my handbag outside in my unlocked truck.
Not knowing if he had stolen my gun, I called 911.
When the cop arrived much to my delight, my gun was still in my bag.
The cop said I'll bet the next time, you'll put it in your pocket before you go inside.
I love hearing these stories.... People who live 9-5 lives just don't understand the threats we face as drivers going into dangerous areas of cities at the times of day when only whores and horse thieves are about. I remember the Everett Wa ABF terminal. It was a block from a biker bar and always had bums sleeping under the trailers to stay out of the rain. You had to kick the refrigerator boxes to be sure before you pulled a trailer out or you might kill one. I kind of liked the adrenalin rush of it though. It got you woke up and alert again. And yes, blued steel in your waistband can be very reassuring when you are doing that, company policy or not. We had 3 female drivers at ABF while I worked there, and I really admired them. They faced threats that we as males did not doing that kind of work. Just using a rest room in a rest area was dangerous for them. We just peed on the on ramps. All 3 never carried a gun either. I told them to at least get some pepper spray. One did carry a stun gun as I recall. A stun gun just never gave me the warm fuzzy feeling blued steel did... I've collected guns all my life, so I have carried everything from a 32 ACP to a 10mm at one time or another. The larger guns became difficult to conceal though. A 380 auto seemed about right to me as far as firepower vs ease of concealment went. That was before the new generation of small hi-cap 9mms like the Hellcat came along. That would be what I would carry now. And yes I do have one. I love revolvers, but don't carry one anymore.

Last edited:
We had a predator go after the spouse and she made it to the tractor. This would be in the old 76 at Jackson TN off 40. One of the few places I told her not to stop at. It has a history of violence. well for a variety of reasons she stopped there to get fuel. I was in sleeper.

Long story short Predator got away. Running for his tractor in the back parking area behind the main building. In some ways Im glad he got away, it would have made such a mess in that cab if it went any further than it did. And sometimes Im sorry he got away. Predators like that need to be under the jail for a good long time.

Prior to that we did not have too much trouble going into what I consider to be very dangerous areas of the USA. However there were people in the past who committed a crime or tried to do so and careful application of knots takes care of that.

I love hearing these stories.... People who live 9-5 lives just don't understand the threats we face as drivers going into dangerous areas of cities at the times of day when only whores and horse thieves are about. I remember the Everett Wa ABF terminal. It was a block from a biker bar and always had bums sleeping under the trailers to stay out of the rain. You had to kick the refrigerator boxes to be sure before you pulled a trailer out or you might kill one. I kind of liked the adrenalin rush of it though. It got you woke up and alert again. And yes, blued steel in your waistband can be very reassuring when you are doing that, company policy or not. We had 3 female drivers at ABF while I worked there, and I really admired them. They faced threats that we as males did not doing that kind of work. Just using a rest room in a rest area was dangerous for them. We just peed on the on ramps. All 3 never carried a gun either. I told them to at least get some pepper spray. One did carry a stun gun as I recall. A stun gun just never gave me the warm fuzzy feeling blued steel did... I've collected guns all my life, so I have carried everything from a 32 ACP to a 10mm at one time or another. The larger guns became difficult to conceal though. A 380 auto seemed about right to me as far as firepower vs ease of concealment went. That was before the new generation of small hi-cap 9mms like the Hellcat came along. That would be what I would carry now. And yes I do have one. I love revolvers, but don't carry one anymore.
The air-weight Colt Cobra is a very nice weapon, but I no longer carry.
I carry the S & W, M&P Shield 9mm with 8 rounds.