Yellow | freight levels

"We are going right to the core of FedEx, Con-Way and ODFL at a time when word on the street is that they are missing pickups, missing deliveries and damaging freight more."

I have not missed one pickup since working here 1.5 months ago, same with my friend. FedEx has a good reputation for picking up and delivering freight on time. As far as damaged freight, I've hardly seen any. I'm not saying FedEx is perfect or that I'm a fan of fred smith, but if you guys want to win freight back, it's got to be done by price.

Far be it for me to question the wisdom of someone that has a whole month and a half on the job, but we managed to stay in business for many years now butting up against FedEx. And we didn't always match price with them. We did it by doing the job better. We Teamsters are pretty hardheaded, and we believe we can outmatch anyone given the opportunity.

Far be it for me to question the wisdom of someone that has a whole month and a half on the job, but we managed to stay in business for many years now butting up against FedEx. And we didn't always match price with them. We did it by doing the job better. We Teamsters are pretty hardheaded, and we believe we can outmatch anyone given the opportunity.

couldnt have said it any better larry

Following the line of thinking that we are only as good as our weakest link. I am surprised that no one has mentioned the state that our shops have gotten into. Meaning that the powers that be in the shops have literally gutted our service shops and hamstrung our mechanics and stopped doing any type of preventive maintanence on the equipment. They have been persuing this policy for several months now. It has been my personal expirience that this by it's self could completely torpedo this whole velocity deal. Last week I had a total of 21 .75 hrs on the clock for breakdowns and breakdown related layovers. When I got back in I told My LOM about this and he mentioned that both he and the TM were aware of the problem and very concerned. You can have all the best intension in the world but if the trucks won't run you can't haul the freight. I was also asked if I was being overly critical when doing my P.T.I. 's and I told him no not really not when it comes to the important stuff like air leaks,brakes, fluid leaking or power problems. This new shop system is the pits. Htey are going to have to start fixing and maintaning the eguipment or this velocity thing is doomed.

Following the line of thinking that we are only as good as our weakest link. I am surprised that no one has mentioned the state that our shops have gotten into. Meaning that the powers that be in the shops have literally gutted our service shops and hamstrung our mechanics and stopped doing any type of preventive maintanence on the equipment. They have been persuing this policy for several months now. It has been my personal expirience that this by it's self could completely torpedo this whole velocity deal. Last week I had a total of 21 .75 hrs on the clock for breakdowns and breakdown related layovers. When I got back in I told My LOM about this and he mentioned that both he and the TM were aware of the problem and very concerned. You can have all the best intension in the world but if the trucks won't run you can't haul the freight. I was also asked if I was being overly critical when doing my P.T.I. 's and I told him no not really not when it comes to the important stuff like air leaks,brakes, fluid leaking or power problems. This new shop system is the pits. Htey are going to have to start fixing and maintaning the eguipment or this velocity thing is doomed.
I said this when Yellow first bought us and cut out PM's and maintenance. Short term fix to make "numbers" looK good but in the long run it will come back to haunt them! Bottom line is, you drive the truck, there is no such thing as being "overly critical". Make sure it is safe to drive before you hit the street. I have gotten to the point where I will go to the shop for one light out in the cluster because there are too many guys in the system that will just hammer down and its a domino effect that will never get fixed until there is no lights on a trailer. I could go on but i'm not really in the mood! Repairs on a truck seems to be an important part of a trucking company in my eyes, but I dont see the big picture!!!!:chairshot:

I agree whole heartedly. I am not willing too taking any additional risk because the Co. wants to save money. Seems like a poorly thought out plan. Quite frankly I don't think I should. If the company needs to reduce cost so bad how can they justify laying thousands of people off and then firing the top two bigwigs and sending them on their with with multimillion dollar golden parachutes. I mean if we mess up and get fired we don't walk away with a bonus. That being said, I only see it getting worse. I try to keep track of all my stats.( for personal Financial reasons) and this month alone I have more clock time that I have had in the previous three months combined. That tells me that this problem is just starting to rear it's ugly head. I guessonly time will tell but when you have to be somewhere to meet a driver with a load and you where stuck in the shop or broke down for a couple of hours then guess what? the meet ain't gonna happen. Be preapared and take a road bag because you will be humping that freight all the way to the destinations and going to bed.

I agree whole heartedly. I am not willing too taking any additional risk because the Co. wants to save money. Seems like a poorly thought out plan. Quite frankly I don't think I should. If the company needs to reduce cost so bad how can they justify laying thousands of people off and then firing the top two bigwigs and sending them on their with with multimillion dollar golden parachutes. I mean if we mess up and get fired we don't walk away with a bonus. That being said, I only see it getting worse. I try to keep track of all my stats.( for personal Financial reasons) and this month alone I have more clock time that I have had in the previous three months combined. That tells me that this problem is just starting to rear it's ugly head. I guessonly time will tell but when you have to be somewhere to meet a driver with a load and you where stuck in the shop or broke down for a couple of hours then guess what? the meet ain't gonna happen. Be preapared and take a road bag because you will be humping that freight all the way to the destinations and going to bed.
I agree, I pack a bag every night and have no problem going through to destination! I will not go down for the company though because if I get into an accident they will say... WHO???? He's one of our drivers? Never heard of him! It's all on me and my ducks will be in a tight formation!!!!:1036316054: