Yellow | Friends

detroithomeboy

TB Lurker
Credits
I had a wonderful experience today, I went for a pick up in Detroit today, the company I had a p/u at was running way behind on getting the trucks out, Holland was there, Yrc was there, R&l was there, Estes was there and Dayton freight was there. All of us drivers were on the dock and every one of us knew of each other in some way or another, either through a friend or a relative. We were all on the dock talking, laughing and just being friends. This just goes to show you that it does not matter if you are union or non union we all have lives to live and we just want to go to work, come home, relax, be with our families and live the American dream. What’s wrong with that corporations….?

I had a wonderful experience today, I went for a pick up in Detroit today, the company I had a p/u at was running way behind on getting the trucks out, Holland was there, Yrc was there, R&l was there, Estes was there and Dayton freight was there. All of us drivers were on the dock and every one of us knew of each other in some way or another, either through a friend or a relative. We were all on the dock talking, laughing and just being friends. This just goes to show you that it does not matter if you are union or non union we all have lives to live and we just want to go to work, come home, relax, be with our families and live the American dream. What’s wrong with that corporations….?

Nothing wrong with being friendly, use to be that way years ago, but that was when most of the drivers were union, nowadays it is a rare occurrence because the nons are told(I'm assuming)to stay away from the union people. Glad to read it may be coming back. The dock chat that is.:shift:

I talk to anybody and everybody I could care less what your affiliation is as long as you can talk to me like im a person and can act cilvilized.
Here in Indy we all get along for the most part there are a few who dont talk to others and others dont talk to them or help them.

I know im the wrong board

Does it really matter whether you are union or not. I have been union for a lot of years but do not look down on anyone who is not. Most of us know how hard it was to get that union job and some people can not wait out the casual period, back ground check and horrible shifts when you start at the bottom. Doesn't make them less of a person,. They had other priorities. We all do the same thing we move freight from point a to point b. A person has to take care of their family the best way they can.

I can rember before deregulation when we were all union ,and everyone knew everyone.We were all the same and we all made a good living.Those were the days :)
Deregulation has destroyed this whole country.Tell me one thing good it has done? Air planes falling out of the sky.Company after company going broke.Has anything went down in price?? Are we better off than we were back then??

I agree, back in the 70's our house payment was $150.00 per month. My husband was making $15 per hour. I used to be able to stay home and raise my boys. Then the 80's came I had to work full time to pay the bills. It has been down hill since then.

I talk to anybody and everybody I could care less what your affiliation is as long as you can talk to me like im a person and can act cilvilized.
Here in Indy we all get along for the most part there are a few who dont talk to others and others dont talk to them or help them.

My Grandfather hauled flatbed..he use to tell me, and i know we have all heard this.."treat people the same way you expect to be treated" .you sit at some company and you talk and you realize that we are all the same..one has a kid in college ..you know his name..one has a wife thats sick..you tell them you will say a prayer..ones a new grandpa, you couldnt get that smile off with a putty=knife, some have ex-wifes (like me) and them stories can be very entertaining and some are guys that where with union companies and lost their jobs..God Bless all of You...God Bless Our Troops One Proud Dad

You are ALWAYS welcome to contribute to the YRC forum in a positive manner.

Does it really matter whether you are union or not. I have been union for a lot of years but do not look down on anyone who is not. Most of us know how hard it was to get that union job and some people can not wait out the casual period, back ground check and horrible shifts when you start at the bottom. Doesn't make them less of a person,. They had other priorities. We all do the same thing we move freight from point a to point b. A person has to take care of their family the best way they can.

Great post! That's the way it went for me. I made the decision early on to be a O/O. This served me well for many years, I loved it! But then the market got tough and Schnieder bought the company I was leased to. They offered us O/Os a rate so low I could'nt hang on so I sold my last truck. By this time I had kids a mortgage etc. so I could'nt wait out the casual time on a union board, I had to have full time right now.
So I was offered a job at Estes. That was 10yrs ago and I've been able to make a good living for my fam. Now that it's just the wife and I again I'm thinking of buying another truck and her and I going back out but who knows.....

But as far as getting along with drivers from other companies thats not a prob. with me. I don't care who you drive for, if your good people then your good people period. One of my best fishing buds is retired big R and I have a lot of other union friends all good guys.

I can rember before deregulation when we were all union ,and everyone knew everyone.We were all the same and we all made a good living.Those were the days :)
Deregulation has destroyed this whole country.Tell me one thing good it has done? Air planes falling out of the sky.Company after company going broke.Has anything went down in price?? Are we better off than we were back then??

Are you saying that airplanes did not crash before deregulation? Are we better off than we were back then? I don't know. Seems to me that the country really took off during the Regan years. I may be wrong I am not the old. Are we better off than when carter was pres? You tell me. Regan,Bush1,Clinton in my view pretty good years. Bush2 is still up in the air. Right now not looking that good. But this Obomanation we have now what a crock ofshit

I agree, back in the 70's our house payment was $150.00 per month. My husband was making $15 per hour. I used to be able to stay home and raise my boys. Then the 80's came I had to work full time to pay the bills. It has been down hill since then.

So you blame higher prices on deregulation? Were car prices kept low by being regulated? Home prices low because regulation? Every thing has gone up. I don't know what a union driver made in the 70s someone tell me. But I bet it wasn't .50 a mile or 20 an hour. What about higher wages? Hasn't the mim wage went up? Everyone is making more now than in the 70s. Would you trade your wages now for the wages then? If so you could again have 150 house payments. The best example of deregulation I can think of is the airline industry. Could you fly from Dallas to Las Vegas in the 70s for under 100 dollars? I don't think so. Yes the trucking indurstry is suffering. But that is because otr drivers get paid by the mile. If we all got paid by the hour it would be a lot better. In case you don't know the reason it is by the mile and not the hour is in the early years truckdriving was classified as non-skilled labor. No one has tried to get that changed. Until that happens we will always be second class union or not.

Anyone can have their wife (husband) stay home in today's world. They just need to adjust they way they live. Live in a smaller house in a community with lower taxes and not need to drive the cars they choose and get a new car every couple years. I have have many friends say they can not stay home with the kids and then I see they drive a Tahoe and a Grand Caravan, both less than 2 years old............not to mention the boat and camper parked next to the $300K house. Too many people live beyond their means.........and YES my wife stays home, but I am ready for her to go to work and use that "Masters Degree". Also, be resourceful and find a way to make extra money.

I have had many great conversations with competition drivers. Just be decent about it. We are all human looking and working for the same goal!

My dad made $9000 a year in the early 70's. Home cost $19,000 new. About $175 a week paycheck, $145 take home. $200 mortgage payment I think it was.

My dad made $9000 a year in the early 70's. Home cost $19,000 new. About $175 a week paycheck, $145 take home. $200 mortgage payment I think it was.

Man, are you guys ageing me. I started as a teamster in 1965, hourly wage $3.16. My 1965 chevy sticker price $2100.00. car payment $ 70.00 per month. My first home $ 26,000, In 1971 house payment $ 265 per month. God , this is funny, MY first years wages was just over $ 6000.00. I remember saying, If I could ever make over $200.00 per week, I would have a new Caddy and a blond bimpo. Well I have been married over 40 years and not to a bimbo. It has been a wonderful life. I retired 13 years ago , so I could spend time with my grandkids, because working I missed out on the kids, first time around. I retired when I was 48, to give the younger guys a job. I do not think they evan missed me, but they fought over my truck.

That is the best part of P&D. I miss that. Ran the same area for three years and you do get to know one another and become friends. Good post.