Goatman of Georgia.

seabreeze

Not Well Known Member, 63 Year Teamster Member
PREMIUM
Credits
I wonder if any of you old farts remember the Goatman who traveled the South Ga. highways back in the early 60s?
We would meet him on 221 or 121 with about 15 or 20 goats pulling his wagon.
If you had room to park, he could spin some tales or quote scripture.
He was quite a character.

I wonder if any of you old farts remember the Goatman who traveled the South Ga. highways back in the early 60s?
We would meet him on 221 or 121 with about 15 or 20 goats pulling his wagon.
If you had room to park, he could spin some tales or quote scripture.
He was quite a character.
He sounds like quite the animal....

I remember he always had 2 or 3 tires hanging on his wagon.
I asked him if he was afraid he would have a flat tire.
This picture may have been taken at Register Ga.

Thanks for posting this thread Breezer. He's a fascinating story if you read the Wiki page. Conrad McCarthy wrote a novel and based one of the characters on Ches. I already checked, I can get it at my library. Guy almost got embalmed while he was still alive. What a story.

Thanks for posting this thread Breezer. He's a fascinating story if you read the Wiki page. Conrad McCarthy wrote a novel and based one of the characters on Ches. I already checked, I can get it at my library. Guy almost got embalmed while he was still alive. What a story.
I did read the Wiki page and never realized this back in those days.
We had several drivers who would stop and chat with the old man, he was a character.
I'll check on the book myself.

yes i remember him i grew up in south Georgia Lyons ga. and he traveled on us 1 i think heading towards baxley ga
I saw him on old Ga. 56 near Soperton.
He hung around Kite Ga for a couple of days when the old wooden bridges collapsed.
He liked to wonder.