Got the call...Im in!

FirefighterDoug

TB Lurker
Credits
Just got the call and was offered a full time position at the Apple Valley DC. It has really been a long process with alot of time and money invested in the effort. I am honored to be joining the best of the best and even with 20 years of experience I feel I have room for improvement. Everyone throughout the process from everyone at the DC to the people where I did my DOT physical and drug screen have been very nice and treated me like a rock star.

For you future applicants you need to be ready for a very competitive process. They received 600 applications at Apple Valley from which they took 20 on to interviews of which ten will be offered positions. I have not seen this much competition for a job since back when I was testing for a paid firefighter job where it is common to see a 500/1 ratio of applicants for available positions. You need to know how to give a professional interview and you need to understand the culture.

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to answer questions from applicants who came here seeking information. Other than current Wal-Mart drivers there really is no reliable resource from which to get information. Since being prepared is the easiest way to rise above the other applicants you need to know all you can about the position however I caution anyone from following advice they may receive from other sources. Over the years I have found people that while meaning well had no business giving advice on a subject that they are not familiar with. We all know there are Wal-Mart haters and they love to give bad advice and you need to be aware. I intend to pay it forward and would be glad help future applicants if they have questions about the process. Most of what you need to know has been covered in these threads. Remember you will need to be the best of the best to join this elite group of professionals.

Thats great Doug!!!!!! Don't you work for Kroger? Are you going to move to Apple Valley? Do you have a family? I have to say congrats!! Getting on at Wal-Mart is no small feat, I am at the top of my game at Sysco, I hope all the drivers are welcoming and very helpful...good job Doug, we are all proud of you, you did well, your at the top now, soooo...DON'T SCREW IT UP!!!! Just kidding man, I know you will do well and things will be all good!!!! Congrats again!!

GT

Thanks for the nice words I'm at the top of my game as well but need a change. I have been commuting three hours round trip six days a week and its starting to wear me down. I do plan on setting up shop in Apple Valley but will probably hold onto my place here in case I want to transfer to Hermiston after my year is up. My wife and kids are excited about moving south,all our family is in So Cal and they are ready for a change as well. I am a little nervous since I am leaving a good job but I really think I will be a better fit at Wal-Mart. Going from number 37 on a 150 man board to the bottom of a 145 man board is scary but its a different system than we are used to at union shops. I am confident that its a good move and am looking forward to getting started. Are you still looking at Wal-Mart or are you set at Sysco?

Great news, Doug, and congratulations. I believe you'll be a great fit at Walmart. Remember, don't let the orientation process discourage you...there's a lot to learn. Your mentor will help you get adjusted, and after a couple of months you'll be pretty comfortable.

Welcome aboard!

...Jeff

Thanks for the nice words I'm at the top of my game as well but need a change. I have been commuting three hours round trip six days a week and its starting to wear me down. I do plan on setting up shop in Apple Valley but will probably hold onto my place here in case I want to transfer to Hermiston after my year is up. My wife and kids are excited about moving south,all our family is in So Cal and they are ready for a change as well. I am a little nervous since I am leaving a good job but I really think I will be a better fit at Wal-Mart. Going from number 37 on a 150 man board to the bottom of a 145 man board is scary but its a different system than we are used to at union shops. I am confident that its a good move and am looking forward to getting started. Are you still looking at Wal-Mart or are you set at Sysco?

Hi Doug,

I'm set at Sysco, I'm working toward going into management at some point in the distant future, trying to take some education, ect., that will help me, I want to re-locate to Florida at some point, thats where I want to retire, may as well get a good start there. I'm very happy for you Doug!!!

Congrats Doug, Wally driver here from 6080 Tobyhanna, PA.
Anything I can help you out with let me know.
Paperwork might seem a bit overwhelming at first but it's not so bad.

Thank you Slingshot I will keep the offer of help in mind. I start orientation on Monday and can hardly wait to get started. Its been a long road but I think it was well worth the effort.

Congrats Doug, Wally driver here from 6080 Tobyhanna, PA.
Anything I can help you out with let me know.
Paperwork might seem a bit overwhelming at first but it's not so bad.

hi slingshot,just got called for an interview at Tobyhanna.I applied because several ex-co-workers,work with you and spoke highly of the job and pay and treatment.i have heard different things though about the job.i'll ask at the interview,but maybe you could help me out.some guys are telling me it's 4 days on and 3 off.others are telling me it's 8 on and 5 off.and still others are telling me that you're actually back at tobyhanna almost daily,but since some drivers live far away they stay in their trucks instead of driving home everyday.hope my question made sense,any info would be helpful.