TForce | Has UPS devalued our old OVNT.,pension?

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
Didn't it used to be that our old Overnite pension was figured on the best 5 years,which would naturely be the latest yours worked.

But with the rebranding to UPS Freight.
UPS purchased Overnite/Motor Cargo which included the old Overnite fully funded pension,the upper management folks were always bragging about.
Now to get any of this pension UPS says the best of 10 years.
Which puts you back into some of the lower payroll years.

I along with all of my co-workers were under the impression UPS was a great big global company with very deep pockets.
That they would cut freight rates,getting us more buisness,and also take care of their workers.
But we can see after just 6 months that we were sadly mistaken.

Apo I believe it's the best 5 out of the last ten yrs. As for the rest of your statement I agree brother.

One of my co-workers was telling me he figures he will come up short with the way the retirement is set up now.
I asked why is that.
He said instead of 5 years,UPS goes with the last 10.
So thats where I got this idea.

When I was off healling up from my heart artery operation I started checking into retirement.
I got an appoinment with SSI.
I talked to the Teamster office in NY.
They sent everything I needed to sign up.

So far the biggest hassel I've had is with UPS Freight.

I'm back to work now doing very good thank God.
So I decided to just put everything on hold for awhile.
Now that I'm well I can take my time getting everything in order.
Instead about woundering about giving up trucking.

Apostolic said:
One of my co-workers was telling me he figures he will come up short with the way the retirement is set up now.
I asked why is that.
He said instead of 5 years,UPS goes with the last 10.
So thats where I got this idea.

When I was off healling up from my heart artery operation I started checking into retirement.
I got an appoinment with SSI.
I talked to the Teamster office in NY.
They sent everything I needed to sign up.

So far the biggest hassel I've had is with UPS Freight.

I'm back to work now doing very good thank God.
So I decided to just put everything on hold for awhile.
Now that I'm well I can take my time getting everything in order.
Instead about woundering about giving up trucking.

Maye time is starting to tell. If so and we need a union or APWA then so be it. I'm not afraid to admit I'm wrong.:USA:

A little more time will tell...

Skeeter said:
Maye time is starting to tell. If so and we need a union or APWA then so be it. I'm not afraid to admit I'm wrong.:USA:

A little more time will tell...

Wow Skeeter... changing his mind? This must be bizarro world...

Happy birthday to me

Apostolic said:
Didn't it used to be that our old Overnite pension was figured on the best 5 years,which would naturely be the latest yours worked.

But with the rebranding to UPS Freight.
UPS purchased Overnite/Motor Cargo which included the old Overnite fully funded pension,the upper management folks were always bragging about.
Now to get any of this pension UPS says the best of 10 years.
Which puts you back into some of the lower payroll years.

I along with all of my co-workers were under the impression UPS was a great big global company with very deep pockets.
That they would cut freight rates,getting us more buisness,and also take care of their workers.
But we can see after just 6 months that we were sadly mistaken.
Yes, it used to be your best five years. For me I will lose. My best 5 years was when I worked a 6 day a week schedule for over 12 years. Now I am on a 5 day schedule which I have no plans to work 6 days a week again.

The best 5 years would usualy be the last,with a highier pay rate,also farther up the senority list with more hours,or extra work available for bigger pay checks.
By going back an additional 5 years for an average its lower payrolls due to lower pay rate as well as maybe even layoffs if you weren't high enough to get the work in your location.

This isn't something I paid any attention to with the rebranding.
But now that I was thinking about starting to get everything in order for my retirement.
I was very surprised to say the least.

Last 10 yrs??...hm we went from best five yrs..to best five consect yrs..to last 10??

if thats the case, with the cuts in medical and 401k match now in stock..UPS must want us in the UNION!!

buzz

Skeeter said:
So what and what are you going to do about it. I'll tell you nothing.:weight_lift:

What? Of corse I'm not going to do nothing about it. Are we back in the school yard? Are we going to meet at the bike racks after school?

You change your mind quite often, Your strong against the IBT calling us wannabes and then you say your wavering, then you say we are wanabes again and then you say we need a union or apwa.

You say we need to stick together then you fire away at how we made somuch less than you (which is false by the way) so I pointed it out.

You never understood why we were for the unionization in the first place and have been quick to call us wannabes with nothing to back this up. Like I said before you seem to post in anger instead of understanding. I tried to be decent to you at times and even answered requests from you. I'm not hiding from you , and you know who I am. I'm not trying to start anything with you then again I will duck no one.

You know my email address if you want to talk further. (to spare the rest)

Pension

Your UPS Pension is based on your five highest consecutive years out of the last 10 years that you work.

For anyone who was vested under the Overnite plan. They can use their five highest consective years with Overnite if it is more than with UPS Freight.

Example:
Your worked 15 years with Overnite and your highest 5 consecutive years was a $78,000.00 average.
You worked your highest 5 consective years with UPS Freight is 76,000.00 average.

Then they would use the $78,000.00 for your basis.

One thing to keep in mind is when you are off sick for an extended period of time.
The money is paid to you from an insurance policy you are paying premiums for, and that money is NOT part of your gross pay with UPS Freight.
And NOT counted toward your retirement average.

With so many ideas floating around the UPS Freight system.
Why do you think this is the way UPS has our pension set up cluthcargo?

You know I was in a hurry to get responces on this thread,because the way message boards work if no one responds,than the threads go to the bottom of the current page,than just drift away from everyones thought.

I wanted good answers which I believe I've got.

I was off of work with an artery blockage,and my doctor said it may be a good time to think about getting out of trucking.
I statred looking into retirement.
I got an appointment with SSI.
I've got everything from the Teamsters.
The hardest so far to get is anything from UPS Freight.
I received a good phone number from one of the posters,but now that God has blessed me that I'm able to do my job with no restrictions.
I think I'll put everything on hold for now.
Skeeter was also a very big help to me.
So now I'll write down your information clutchcargo,I'm sure I'm going to need all of this in the future.

bigdaddy said:
I know in the long run it will turn out alright but I sure do miss the big O sometimes

Hell Big O.. I'd like to move freight 500 miles next day service like M/C used too. With Big O in charge that is "impossible" only 2 and 3 day service unless you raise the cost to almost double what the others do it for. How to compete? Hmm lets move a trailer from Las Vegas Nv. to Fontanna Ca. and on to Dallas Tx. When we could move it From L.V. to Pho then to Dal saving fuel,labor,wear & tear and the freight gets there a day early......(saves over 400 miles)

Nope not in the master plan what a
cluster F***

Too those in Richmond

LOOK AT A MAP!