XPO | hazmat

freedomfrye1

TB Lurker
Credits
how many check their bills, and loads on fac when you can see it before the door is closed? the problem i ran into the other night at xpb was a driver broke it to the head load and, said it was already placard and ready to go. i never gave it another thought about it. i walked out ready to leave after dispatching to find it was placard wrong. i talked to him the next night about thats the way it come in he said didnt look at the bill either. it was a coke products with 2 totes and 3 skids. it shoud have been flamable with un1197 on the trailor. the un number was left off. while going back to my terminal i was pulld over for a dot inspection. he checked my log, my paper work etc. he also broke the seal on that traior climbed up and looked at how it was blocked in. how much would that cost me if it wasnt found? what abot the driver that brought to xpb. the bottom line is check your bills make sure its right because its on u if not.

how many check their bills, and loads on fac when you can see it before the door is closed? the problem i ran into the other night at xpb was a driver broke it to the head load and, said it was already placard and ready to go. i never gave it another thought about it. i walked out ready to leave after dispatching to find it was placard wrong. i talked to him the next night about thats the way it come in he said didnt look at the bill either. it was a coke products with 2 totes and 3 skids. it shoud have been flamable with un1197 on the trailor. the un number was left off. while going back to my terminal i was pulld over for a dot inspection. he checked my log, my paper work etc. he also broke the seal on that traior climbed up and looked at how it was blocked in. how much would that cost me if it wasnt found? what abot the driver that brought to xpb. the bottom line is check your bills make sure its right because its on u if not.

I would think that would be under the you basically picked a sealed trailer up that there is no requirement that i know of in which you have to see inside...the shipper, in this instance, i would believe would be the FOS signing the manifest indicating the load was ready to be shipped per effective regulations and such...that is something you should check on...as with other "grey" areas...conway will leave you out hanging until they have to legally change their rules...it is a crying shame too...

probably would have cost the company some bucks but not you as a line haul driver. Trailer is sealed, you got your paperwork and assumed it was right. :1036316054:

probably would have cost the company some bucks but not you as a line haul driver. Trailer is sealed, you got your paperwork and assumed it was right. :1036316054:

I know out in our area they will fine the shipper for not tendering the correct placards,the carrier for not placarding the trailer properally and the driver for not catching it b-4 he continued on.Dot out here don't miss a beat! Be careful & make sure your seal matches,trailer has the right placards & the shipping papers are in order.Thay will nail everyone involved out here.

I know out in our area they will fine the shipper for not tendering the correct placards,the carrier for not placarding the trailer properally and the driver for not catching it b-4 he continued on.Dot out here don't miss a beat! Be careful & make sure your seal matches,trailer has the right placards & the shipping papers are in order.Thay will nail everyone involved out here.
I bet they dont get the driver if that thing is sealed. You break the seal and go it might be a different story. There has to be an end of the line of responsibility for loading a trailer, and it doesnt all lay on a line driver. :1036316054:

sounds like oregon to me

ok then where does it stop, with the seal or the driver or what? Break the seal your screwed right. well then thats the end as far as i'm concerned! whoever seals it better know whats in it!! Just asking!
As far as what's actually in the trailer, the driver hasn't a clue. He/she depends on what is on the bill of lading. If the bill of lading indicates hazmat, then the driver is ultimately responsible for the proper placarding of the trailer. I think that's what the original comment was about.

As far as what's actually in the trailer, the driver hasn't a clue. He/she depends on what is on the bill of lading. If the bill of lading indicates hazmat, then the driver is ultimately responsible for the proper placarding of the trailer. I think that's what the original comment was about.
Agreed, but responsible to the point of what? Breaking seals to check the freight? I think not. If placards match paperwork then driver who picks up sealed trailer should be ok!:1036316054:

Agreed, but responsible to the point of what? Breaking seals to check the freight? I think not. If placards match paperwork then driver who picks up sealed trailer should be ok!:1036316054:
No, we don't have to break the seals. And all I am saying is that if the placards don't match the paperwork, then the driver picking up the trailer should correct that.

ok then where does it stop, with the seal or the driver or what? Break the seal your screwed right. well then thats the end as far as i'm concerned! whoever seals it better know whats in it!! Just asking!

As long as it's Tconned & you have a coso(hopefully w/hm tag) the driver out here will get sited too.If the tires on the vehicle aren't up to standard they can fine you for that also.

The responsibility will fall onto the person who signed off on the load .. if the description is bad or a missing phone number for chem trec etc .. that wil fall onto a csr ... IT is the fos' responsibility to make sure the trailer is placarded correctly ... if freedomfrye would have reported it to an fos .. would something have been done about it ... probably not.

WHen the DOT looks in...after they break the seal and open the doors...all you gotta do is look and agree with the person as to how screwed it is, and then point out that you picked up the trailer sealed, and your company forbids you from breaking the seal...that is also why you let the dot person break the seal and so annotate it on the manifest the guys name and juris...yeah, that would be a conway bite off..not a drivers...

WHen the DOT looks in...after they break the seal and open the doors...all you gotta do is look and agree with the person as to how screwed it is, and then point out that you picked up the trailer sealed, and your company forbids you from breaking the seal...that is also why you let the dot person break the seal and so annotate it on the manifest the guys name and juris...yeah, that would be a conway bite off..not a drivers...
Thats what I always thought.:1036316054:

I would think that would be under the you basically picked a sealed trailer up that there is no requirement that i know of in which you have to see inside...the shipper, in this instance, i would believe would be the FOS signing the manifest indicating the load was ready to be shipped per effective regulations and such...that is something you should check on...as with other "grey" areas...conway will leave you out hanging until they have to legally change their rules...it is a crying shame too...
this has nothing to due with conway leaving the driver out to hang, but drivers taking responsibility doing thier jobs as a professional driver

dot regs say it is the drivers responsibilty to check the manifest
yes the driver that pulled it in should be talked to, but at the end it is your responsibility to check your trailers
come on drivers it doesnt matter who work for take pride in doing your job and quit trying to put the blame on somebody else

the driver that caught the error, awsome driver you did your job and should get a star :1036316054:

has a driver you have they right to break the seal at a terminal as long as you let a supervisor know about it con-way does not forbid a driver from breaking a seal

this has nothing to due with conway leaving the driver out to hang, but drivers taking responsibility doing thier jobs as a professional driver

dot regs say it is the drivers responsibilty to check the manifest
yes the driver that pulled it in should be talked to, but at the end it is your responsibility to check your trailers
come on drivers it doesnt matter who work for take pride in doing your job and quit trying to put the blame on somebody else

the driver that caught the error, awsome driver you did your job and should get a star :1036316054:

apparently you missed something??? It has everything to do with conway...the driver can and will check the manifest...and it is his/her's responsibility to make sure as placarded PER the manifest...the drs has no responsibility for what is actually in the trailer as it was a sealed load for him to pick up...now if that dsr has knowledge of what is actually in the trailer (i.e..they loaded, or was present when the trailer was closed and was able to check freight but didnt) well that would be his problem...after DOT slammed conway and then conway slammed him...

Haz-Mat

This is one of my peeves and I have to vent. 99 drivers out of 100 do not know how to placard a load and 75 supervisors out of 100 done know either. It is like the blind leading the blind at the FAC's. I work inbound and most trailers that come in are placarded wrong.

When it comes to Haz-Mat, I did not know a thing when I came to Con-Way and they didnt teach me ::shit::. Most of what I learned came from my customers. When I brought this to the attention of the regional safety man, he came down and talked like a pollition for 1 hour giving no straight answers. What a shame.

This is one of my peeves and I have to vent. 99 drivers out of 100 do not know how to placard a load and 75 supervisors out of 100 done know either. It is like the blind leading the blind at the FAC's. I work inbound and most trailers that come in are placarded wrong.

When it comes to Haz-Mat, I did not know a thing when I came to Con-Way and they didnt teach me ::shit::. Most of what I learned came from my customers. When I brought this to the attention of the regional safety man, he came down and talked like a pollition for 1 hour giving no straight answers. What a shame.
He didn't give no straight answers because he probably doesn't know either...:chairshot::nutkick::funky: