Health Insurance

Anyone know what the health insurance costs if a participant is 60 years old and has over 20 years contributory years in Central States?
Don’t quote me on this, but my understanding is that at 62 or older, the cost is around $90.00 a month for you and $90.00 a month for the spouse per month ($180.00 a month together). Every year you are shy of age 62 is an additional $90/$180 a month. So, you are probably looking at around $540.00 a month for you and the spouse at age 60.
Also, the yearly coverage caps at a maximum of $350,000.00 each per year.
So, one major claim like let’s say an organ transplant would only be covered up to $350,000.00. After that, the cost is on you.
They do now include the dental, but it is only $1500.00 a year per person instead of the $2500.00 per year while you are working.
Again, don’t quote me on this as this info is from my inquires a couple of years ago and it could have changed.
Your best bet is to call Central States (1-800-323-5000) or e-mail your questions to www.centralstates.org for answers.
If you do find out any new updates, please keep us informed my friend!!!

Thanks SOR! I called Local 728 in December and Rosemarie gave me an exact $$number then. I wrote it on an envelope and now I've lost the envelope. But $540 sounds about right. I didn't know about the cap on medical or the dental plan. Thanks for the information.

Something interesting that Local 728 told me was my spouses age has nothing to do with the cost. My wife is 3 years older than me but the insurance cost would be based on my age. Not on our individual ages.

Last edited:
Anyone know what the health insurance costs if a participant is 60 years old and has over 20 years contributory years in Central States?
If you were under 62, it was $200 for you, $200 for your spouse . After age 62 it is $100 for you, and $100 for the spouse until you reach age 65 and you then go on Medicare. I waited until 62 to retire.

I called a friend last night who had a seniority date of July 1986 but retired from ABF on January 2023. He was 60 years, 3 months and 3 days old when he retired. He said he is paying $718 a month for health insurance for two people. He said the insurance is on the teamcare web site but you have to dug it out. He suggested I stay until age 62 because the insurance is expensive.

I called a friend last night who had a seniority date of July 1986 but retired from ABF on January 2023. He was 60 years, 3 months and 3 days old when he retired. He said he is paying $718 a month for health insurance for two people. He said the insurance is on the teamcare web site but you have to dug it out. He suggested I stay until age 62 because the insurance is expensive.
I wonder if any of that $718.00 is for the JSO?

No, joint survivor benefit was a separate cost. His original payout was $4,400 a month. But after JSB and health insurance and going at age 60 he gets around $3,000 a month.

Last edited:
No, joint survivor benefit was a separate cost. His original payout was $4,400 a month. But after JSB and health insurance and going at age 60 he gets around $3,000 a month.
Take half of what you would have to be cut on joint Survivor and buy a $250k term policy. if you kick the bucket your spouse will still have to pay taxes on your Pension. The $250K is tax exempt and far more in the long run they than they would receive as a survivor.