XPO | Heated wiper blades / safety

Tell me that when a truck kills or injures one of your family members because he/she could not see out of their mirrors...I would also like to see you present this statement in front of DOT and the FMCSA...I think you need to stick to turning wrenches and not worry if we have a heated mirror or not....obviously you have never been in our seat..you turn wrenches and well turn the wheel....you dont see any drivers on here telling you what tools you do and dont need to do your job,Dont tell us what we do and dont to do ours.....

As far as presenting anything in front of DOT and FMCSA, I will gladly tell ANYONE that anything that makes something safer is not necessary. There are a lot of things that can make trucks safer, but not done due to cost. Cameras on the backs of trailers for safer backing (some do have this), ABS sensors and modulators on every wheel (most new trucks do not), tire inflation systems (getting more popular, but still more without), stability control (this is a rarely ordered option on most trucks). There is a lot that can be done to the roads to reduce accidents, but that would involve higher taxes that people don't want to pay. Like it or not, there is a price limit on your (and my) safety, which is why ANYTHING safer is not necessary. Only cost effective or major safety concerns are addressed. The main motivation for any company to increase safety is to reduce costs. Fewer accidents and injuries means less comp claims, lower insurance, fewer lawsuits, etc. Many guys hate the OnGaurd and lane departure systems, but someone deemed them safer and someone with more power than you decided that they're cost effective too. Are they necessary? No, but someone thinks there's enough of a benefit to justify the cost.

Realistically, show me proof of one accident that was confirmed to be caused by a lack of heated mirrors. If you actually can, which I doubt, then I'll show you a driver who was too stupid or lazy to stop and clear them off. In case you missed it, there are trucks out there right now that do not have them (a lot more that you think or will admit to). If anything safer is necessary, they should be required to install them or park them, but they're not. People are doing your job with out heated mirrors that you NEED to your job, that is a fact. I just did it last night, a short run to Newburgh, NY and back, a little under 6 hours driving time. It snowed fairly hard most of the way with a few really bad spots. I managed to do it in a 93 Freightliner (hauling 9 cars there and 7 back) that did not have heated mirrors. I had to stop a few times to clear the mirrors and wiper blades, but it wasn't anywhere near the safety hazard that people here are making it out to be. Everything that I can do be safer with what I have to work with is important to me, so I felt it necessary to go slow and stop a few times to deal with the vision issues. Did I need heated mirrors? No. Would I have liked to have them? Yes. Dealerships don't want to hear that a driver called in (so I drove), they also don't want to hear that it's snowing, they want the cars moved. If we don't do it, someone else will and that's less money for payroll.

If you want to tell me what tools I do or don't need, go right ahead. I'll either agree or disagree and move on with my life, you're welcome to you're opinion, but you wont stifle mine.. If I want to give my opinions on your job, I will. You can disagree, ignore it, or whatever you want, it's your right. I will continue to voice my opinions though, you can count on that. A statement like, "obviously you have never been in our seat" about someone you do not know is an uneducated statement. I gives me a clue about your character to base my opinion of you, forms conclusions without knowing facts. The rest of your argument contains no facts at all, not even opinions for that matter, just some rants. So I'll stick to the facts and stand by my original statement. There are much better arguments here and your addition does nothing to support them. You are mistaken BTW, there is no mandate as of yet that requires heated mirrors. There is a mandate on the number of, location of and secure mounting of mirrors, nothing on heat. It may come, but not now.

I am very safety orientated. I already pointed out that if you bring me a truck and ask to fix the heated mirrors and I see the ABS light on. I'm fixing the ABS problem first, whether you want me to or not. It's not leaving the shop with a DOT violation. If it HAS to run, it's legal to run without heated mirrors, not without ABS. I have been in several heated discussions with drivers because I held a truck for an ABS issue.

How would you feel about heated mirrors that only work for 3-5 min then shut off with no way to override it. That's how all our newer Peterbilts are. The mirrors start to frost up before you remember to hit the button again, then it takes about 5 min to warm up and start clearing up again. Stupid design in my opinion, but better than nothing.

i have driven with both heated and non. Yes I like the heated ones, and i delt with the non heated ones. I guess back then truckers we professionals, now they are just a bunch or spoiled,trained(told what to do) not trained to drive, that is a learned art! a high percentage of drivers think they are nascar drivers. should have be driving 30-40 years ago, these forced drivers now(because of the economy) just drive to put food on the table. Back then we enjoyed driving and it was fun. Just drive the truck or get out of this industry and flip burgers. these posts are soo predictable!

When I first started driving 10 years ago, drivers where certious to one another. They even talked on the radio to keep each other awake even if it was being a radio Rambo. What the hell happened in the past 5 years? I flip on the radio at night and nobody, no one person ever chimes back. I was just yelling for a driver the other day because he was dragging something that was throwing huge sparks down the freeway. He just kept on cruising down the road.

When I first started driving 10 years ago, drivers where certious to one another. They even talked on the radio to keep each other awake even if it was being a radio Rambo. What the hell happened in the past 5 years? I flip on the radio at night and nobody, no one person ever chimes back. I was just yelling for a driver the other day because he was dragging something that was throwing huge sparks down the freeway. He just kept on cruising down the road.
Everybody is talking on the phone

I think a lot of people quit running radios. Satellite radio and cell phones keep people entertained I think. Me personally I usually only run a CB in the winter now days.