XPO | Help me!

No Freight

TB Lurker
Credits
I just finished the apprentice program and have a few questions I would like to have answered. I know I could go to the personnel guy but why not have some fun on the threads!
OK, what is all this jiberish about supplemental and all this and that to become an associate? How much time do I have to put in to become a regular full-time guy? It's a little confusing! I also was wondering what does it take to transfer to another local terminal? Those were really my only two questions besides what do all of you think of the apprentice program? I've heard some of the senior drivers really aren't to fond of it. Thanks for ya help!

Without the apprentices beefing up the bottom end. The senior drivers that hate dock work would be on the dock consistently.

Apprentice program is good.

I heard 15 months until you turn Regular.

Why not go to your Personnel guy? Hopefully you would get a straight answer.

suplemental is simply a class of employment. you have three classes. suplemental, associate and regular. you are suplemental for the first three months. basically while you are on probation. then you are an associate for the next year. after 1 year and three months you become a regular employee. you are considered full time and can/probobly will work 40+ hours a week in all three classes of employment.
as for transfering, i believe you have to be employed for at least a year (which on con-way speak means 15 months) be in good standings (no serious no-no's in your file) AND the terminal you wish to transfer to must have an open spot for you. basically a yard can't/won't MAKE an opening just so a driver can transfer. However, when you transfer you loose your senority. you start back at the bottom of the flex board and have to work your way up. you do however, keep your company senority. (pay schedule, benifits, time until retirment etc etc)
on the note about senior drivers disliking the aprenticship program, that i don't know too much about. i'm far from a senior driver. you aren't taking freight from them, you aren't taking their bids away from them. ni fact you are helping them to sustain their bids. con-way requires a certain percentage of bid/flex. without people from the aprenticship program filling out the bottom, then the senior drivers may loose or drop in their bids. now a lot of senior drivers may not "bother" (for lack of a better word) with you for the first year or so but it isn't them trying to be out-right stupid rude, but rather, (at least at my barn) our highest turnover point is within the first year. so why get to know someone if they are only going to quit within a year.
hope this helps you out. :)

Digital Import said:
suplemental is simply a class of employment. you have three classes. suplemental, associate and regular. you are suplemental for the first three months. basically while you are on probation. then you are an associate for the next year. after 1 year and three months you become a regular employee. you are considered full time and can/probobly will work 40+ hours a week in all three classes of employment.
as for transfering, i believe you have to be employed for at least a year (which on con-way speak means 15 months) be in good standings (no serious no-no's in your file) AND the terminal you wish to transfer to must have an open spot for you. basically a yard can't/won't MAKE an opening just so a driver can transfer. However, when you transfer you loose your senority. you start back at the bottom of the flex board and have to work your way up. you do however, keep your company senority. (pay schedule, benifits, time until retirment etc etc)
on the note about senior drivers disliking the aprenticship program, that i don't know too much about. i'm far from a senior driver. you aren't taking freight from them, you aren't taking their bids away from them. ni fact you are helping them to sustain their bids. con-way requires a certain percentage of bid/flex. without people from the aprenticship program filling out the bottom, then the senior drivers may loose or drop in their bids. now a lot of senior drivers may not "bother" (for lack of a better word) with you for the first year or so but it isn't them trying to be out-right stupid rude, but rather, (at least at my barn) our highest turnover point is within the first year. so why get to know someone if they are only going to quit within a year.

:clap: well said.

No Freight said:
I just finished the apprentice program and have a few questions I would like to have answered. I know I could go to the personnel guy but why not have some fun on the threads!
OK, what is all this jiberish about supplemental and all this and that to become an associate? How much time do I have to put in to become a regular full-time guy? It's a little confusing! I also was wondering what does it take to transfer to another local terminal? Those were really my only two questions besides what do all of you think of the apprentice program? I've heard some of the senior drivers really aren't to fond of it. Thanks for ya help!
Most of us senior driver had to wait 2 to 3 years to get in to cf.So some my look down on the program.I'm not one of them.Welcome,We need the help.:bgroovy:

gfy said:
Most of us senior driver had to wait 2 to 3 years to get in to cf.So some my look down on the program.I'm not one of them.Welcome,We need the help.:bgroovy:

How come you senior drivers had to wait so long to get in?

Digital Import said:

So...pretty much for the first year It is gonna suck huh? A lot of the guys have said "If you can get through the first year you should be ok". What really sucks is I quit a job where I was working 50-55 hrs a week bringing home anywhere from $590-$700 a week, now I am working anywhere from 30-40 hrs a week bringing home anywhere from $400-$550 a week...what a bummer! I guess in the long run I will be better off...that is If I make it through the first year of ::shit::!

No Freight said:
because most of the Sr guys were here when the company started and it took them 2 to 3 years to get off the flex.just because the company was still growing.

No Freight said:
You needed that many years of driving experience to get hired on here.It was that way everywhere.Drivers shortages and 5.3 years to top scale helped end that.

It was a percent thing. Think it was 80-20 or 85-15 regular to flex. It took me a year to go regular. And at that time you did not get benefits till you turned regular.

meh, i've been on the flex for over 1 1/2 years now (and still waiting for my bid... i'm number 3 overall though, number 1 on the pm side) but the hours are there, the runs are there and i'm making some hella good money!!! :)
and i would have to say the first 6 months were the hardest. after that it got a lot easier. now it's a bloomin' walk in the park :)

9 year vet

Nine years this June 06. Ran linehaul last year, no life with that deal. Came back to the day shift, started with a 9.30 AM bid. I am now on a daily call in basis..10,11.30,Noon,2Pm. It really sucks big time, must scratch & claw to get 8 hours.

Night Tripper said:
Nine years this June 06. Ran linehaul last year, no life with that deal. Came back to the day shift, started with a 9.30 AM bid. I am now on a daily call in basis..10,11.30,Noon,2Pm. It really sucks big time, must scratch & claw to get 8 hours.

Damn, that's got to suck Night Tripper.
We have all been there (usually in the first few months of employment with CF :eck15:,thanks gfy for bringing back the dead :chairshot: ) but to get to that point AFTER 9 years really bites. Seems like irrational moves from middle management.
Seems like a whole lot of them mis-interpreted the message from Hiel Miller.
He said there are only 24 hours in a day, use them wisely and efficiently. I don't recall the part where he said to roll back start times and not deliver or pick up freight if we can't get back without overtime or missing a lunch.

Seems like middle management forgot WHO drives US. As Ray Kroc said “Look after the customer and the business will take care of itself”

Detter figured that out and realized not only the customer but the drivers too. We took care of the business cuz Detter took care of us. We are the front line. Wake up Miller!

Hang in there. I'm sure things will change. We have seen several changes since Detter and we will see many many more. If you worked in a Terminal with 100+ it wouldn't seem so bad.
The money is in the bank on payday and it's still a damn good paycheck compared to some places. Some people still envy us even with the :BS: we put up with.

Wow!!

No Freight said:
So...pretty much for the first year It is gonna suck huh? A lot of the guys have said "If you can get through the first year you should be ok". What really sucks is I quit a job where I was working 50-55 hrs a week bringing home anywhere from $590-$700 a week, now I am working anywhere from 30-40 hrs a week bringing home anywhere from $400-$550 a week...what a bummer! I guess in the long run I will be better off...that is If I make it through the first year of ::shit::!
WOW!! 30-40hrs. a week? I've been with the company 8 months, and I'm tired as heck after I get my 13 to 20 hr. work week.

Gruven said:
Damn, that's got to suck Night Tripper.
We have all been there (usually in the first few months of employment with CF :eck15:,thanks gfy for bringing back the dead :chairshot: ) but to get to that point AFTER 9 years really bites. Seems like irrational moves from middle management.
Seems like a whole lot of them mis-interpreted the message from Hiel Miller.
He said there are only 24 hours in a day, use them wisely and efficiently. I don't recall the part where he said to roll back start times and not deliver or pick up freight if we can't get back without overtime or missing a lunch.

Seems like middle management forgot WHO drives US. As Ray Kroc said “Look after the customer and the business will take care of itself”

Detter figured that out and realized not only the customer but the drivers too. We took care of the business cuz Detter took care of us. We are the front line. Wake up Miller!

Hang in there. I'm sure things will change. We have seen several changes since Detter and we will see many many more. If you worked in a Terminal with 100+ it wouldn't seem so bad.
The money is in the bank on payday and it's still a damn good paycheck compared to some places. Some people still envy us even with the :BS: we put up with.
It's better to use the term hail,It refers to Cesar.Heil is a ಠ▄ಠ thing and we don't need to label any one as a (⊙▃⊙) yet.Welcome to the history channel.

Huh? There is still a one year associate program in the system?????

When I started with CWX, I had the 90 day thing, the 1 year associate thing, and THEN made "regular", BUT, 9 months into my 1 year, they (CWX) did away with the 1 year associate thing, but I still had to complete 5.25 years before topping out, though I picked up "regular" early.

Anyway, I have seen a LOT of changes and different work hours in 10 years, and LOVE all of it!

I LOVE that we are dynamic, it keeps me on my toes, and drives me to the best I can be, including the 50-60 hour work weeks!

I have always loved that we can actually find ways to make s--t happen, and do ALL we can for our customers! :)

I'd NEVER go elsewhere in the LTL industry, if I ever left, it would have to be back over the road again :(

I will settle for now less than Con-Way! :)

Just my two cents.......

ShortCircuit

p.s.-for those viewing the Con-Way Forums, that are not actually employed with Con-Way yet, be prepared! If you are coming off "OTR", you are in for a hell of a culture shock, but IF you want to better yourself, AND make better money, then Con-Way is the answer!

The typical "new hire" will work 45-55 hours per week in some areas, and will work wierd hours, as you will start on the extra board, and might work on the dock, go make a pick up and/or delivery in the city, and then do a line run that night, all in the same day!

ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE? :)

shortcircuit said:
p.s.-for those viewing the Con-Way Forums, that are not actually employed with Con-Way yet, be prepared! If you are coming off "OTR", you are in for a hell of a culture shock, but IF you want to better yourself, AND make better money, then Con-Way is the answer!

The typical "new hire" will work 45-55 hours per week in some areas, and will work wierd hours, as you will start on the extra board, and might work on the dock, go make a pick up and/or delivery in the city, and then do a line run that night, all in the same day!

ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE? :)

I start Monday. Only one question : If the trucks are not air conditioned :thumbsdown: ...then do they at least sweeten the koolaid? I like sugar!:wavey:

RevItUp said:
I start Monday. Only one question : If the trucks are not air conditioned :thumbsdown: ...then do they at least sweeten the koolaid? I like sugar!:wavey:
You're a new guy,What makes you think you get any kool-aid.You can buy it.