XPO | Hiring student drivers

HeadRush

TB Lurker
Credits
I have a friend of mine that's looking to drive for Con-Way and has been to the terminal near his home(he lives around Chicago Heights). He was told by the terminal manager (I think) to go and get his HAZMAT & Doubles/Triples endorsements and come back. Being a student driver, what are his chances of driving for getting hired as a City Driver for Con-Way?

The reason why he wants to drive locally is because he has 2 kids already and is expecting another one soon. He also is a small business owner.

HeadRush, Even though I don't work for ConWay, I do have knowledge of their practice, secondhand, from a friend that hired on there shortly after driving school about 10 years ago. They did hire him and worked him dock/local. He worked there a short time but had a problem assilmilating to their method of operation (he apparently wanted to start at #1 on the linehaul list). I believe if your friend has a good track record, he shouldn't have much trouble hiring on with little experience. If called, he needs to approach the job with an open mind and be ready to hustle.

My friend? He eventually got on at Roadway (linehaul) and found that he couldn't handle that either and flamed out... I think he's driving a gas truck now...

HeadRush...I live in Portland, Maine. I graduated CDL school 10/03/06. I went to Con-Way and applied, and was told to come back when I had my Hazmat...Well I did. I was called within 1 week of my application to sit down for an interview. The next day after the interview, I was called again to schedule my SECOND interview for Fri. morn(tom. morn). I was told I would be recieving a letter of offer tom. morning for the job, and to give my current employer my 2 week notice. I start April 2.

I guess tomorrow morn. we will make it official and finalize any details. I have to go on the road test sometime next week, but was told its more of a formality.

So...I have no XP, JUST grad. CDL school...and got in. Tell your friend not to hesitate going in and keep asking them.

Good Luck to him:1036316054:

If he has a heartbeat and dosent lie about any past tickets, he WILL get hired. I hope his small business can get along without him, his hours may put a damper on the time he has to devote towards that!

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your input! He should be okay - has a clean driving/criminal record. He's a hard worker, ambitious, and does not believe in messing around when it comes to money. He's in the process of selling part of his business so he doesn't have to devote so much time to it. His partner should be able to handle most of the other duties. I just have to kick him in the pants about starting the HAZMAT process due to the fact that he's hoping that he'll get hired by a local cement company. Con-way is just another option for him. He's one of those people that thinks that if they haul HAZMAT, they'll have a kid that has three eyes, six toes, and a tail.

ClearBlack, we finished school about 10 days apart, I finished up 10/13/06.

just make sure he know he will not start out in the city. he will be on the flex board.which means that he could be working dock Monday Tuesday he could run a day line run ,Wednesday he might run night line.Thursday he could be on the dock. and hour will every it all depends on what the f.a.c need that day.and the size of the f.a.c has a lot to due with how long you will be on the flex.