Yellow | Home deliveries at night!

familyguy007

TB Lurker
Credits
We had a PGH combo driver take 2 home deliveries on 5/30 at 10pm. One was about 5 miles away and the other was about 40 miles away from the terminal. He did not get back until 3am. Is there anything in the contract that prevents this from happening or does everyone just do what they want without recourse. I'll be damned if I'm doing home deliveries at night. This sort of behavior is becoming a common theme here at yellow. We might as well just quit paying dues because the union doesn't seem to care as long as the money keeps rolling in.:ranting:

Is there anything in the contract that prevents this from happening or does everyone just do what they want without recourse. I'll be damned if I'm doing home deliveries at night. This sort of behavior is becoming a common theme here at yellow. We might as well just quit paying dues because the union doesn't seem to care as long as the money keeps rolling in.:ranting:

I feel your burn... :console:

We had a PGH combo driver take 2 home deliveries on 5/30 at 10pm. One was about 5 miles away and the other was about 40 miles away from the terminal. He did not get back until 3am. Is there anything in the contract that prevents this from happening or does everyone just do what they want without recourse. I'll be damned if I'm doing home deliveries at night. This sort of behavior is becoming a common theme here at yellow. We might as well just quit paying dues because the union doesn't seem to care as long as the money keeps rolling in.:ranting:
I sure don't know the details of why a delivery was made that late at night.Maybe the customer requested it.I do know that you can not refused any work that the company wants you to do as long as it's safe and not illegal. What would you do if the company wanted you to drive the city all day picking up aluminum pop cans? What do you want the union to do? You have to remember you work for yellow ,not the union. If you are doing something that is not allowed by the contract then file on it !!!!!! quit blaming the union for all your problems

I'd be interested to know the circumstances behind it. Could it have been medical emergency related on the far one and the close one for convenience sake? W/the cost of fuel, I can't imagine this happening w/out a good reason.

At my barn if this was in a residential district I could always cry can't see the wires therefore unsafe. Might that have worked here?

I'd be interested to know the circumstances behind it. Could it have been medical emergency related on the far one and the close one for convenience sake? W/the cost of fuel, I can't imagine this happening w/out a good reason.

IMO the cost of fuel is NOT even considered in this or any other dispatch

I sure don't know the details of why a delivery was made that late at night.Maybe the customer requested it.I do know that you can not refused any work that the company wants you to do as long as it's safe and not illegal. What would you do if the company wanted you to drive the city all day picking up aluminum pop cans? What do you want the union to do? You have to remember you work for yellow ,not the union. If you are doing something that is not allowed by the contract then file on it !!!!!! quit blaming the union for all your problems
Making home deliveries should not be allowed after dark, it is unsafe. Would you go into a bad neighborhood after dark where you could not see the faces of the people unloading the freight. I don't care what the customer requested it is an unsafe practice and should not be tolerated unless you are a company man and will do anything to get ahead.:butt kiss:

Making home deliveries should not be allowed after dark, it is unsafe. Would you go into a bad neighborhood after dark where you could not see the faces of the people unloading the freight. I don't care what the customer requested it is an unsafe practice and should not be tolerated unless you are a company man and will do anything to get ahead.:butt kiss:

thats your answer...... call me a company man with an *** kiss? I said (if you would understand what you read) if it is unsafe or illegal DON'T do it BUT DON"T BLAME THE UNION If a man does it.

It is always unsafe! I blame the union because this practice should not be allowed and it is becoming more and more common at our barn.

Did you ever make late night pickups in some scuzzy warehouse district in Jersey City, New Jersey (which I've done over the years)??

If you ever did, I don't think you'd be whining about this issue! I hardly see how you can categorize all residential areas as unsafe after dark. What if you delivered at 6pm in the winter when it's already dark?

Then you don't go out! Let's reexamine this. A home delivery after midnight!! Am I wrong or is this a problem? Next thing you know home deliveries at 2am, 3am, 4a, where does it stop?

Then you don't go out! Let's reexamine this. A home delivery after midnight!! Am I wrong or is this a problem? Next thing you know home deliveries at 2am, 3am, 4a, where does it stop?

This is addressed in the contract!!!! If it is unsafe or illegal it is not to be done ... however who decides what is safe? You can't refuse work not knowing. My problem with you first post is why blame the union? Do they know this is going on? Has anyone filed on this to stop it (if ruled unsafe) I can't tell you how many times in a motel lobby, van, drivers room I've heard about one type of problem or another and the first knee-jerk reaction is the f......ing union won't do anything... Only after a few questions I find out the union don't even know it's happening!!!!!!!!! Quite frankly i'm tired of blame the union first mentality:smilie_132:

<snip>
I hardly see how you can categorize all residential areas as unsafe after dark. What if you delivered at 6pm in the winter when it's already dark?

So basically you're saying that any delivery/pickup made after dark is unsafe even if it's just 6pm or so in the winter? Are you kidding me? And you really think the Union should do something about this? Give it your best shot but I hardly think this is the big issue you make it out to be. Just my opinion of course.

I don't mean to pile on, but we are in the delivery business. Sometimes because of the customer, it comes at awkward times.

Who are you familyguy007? I work in pgh and guys have always wanted to drive at night.Anything to get of the dock went I work the dock I did it to

I've let everyone pound on Familyguy a bit, before jumping in to defend him because I concur, there are good reasons for making a night delivery.

He is absolutely 100% correct about his assesment on the inherent dangers of driving a TT at night around Western PA and Eastern Ohio. The terrain in their region is similar to WV. PA puts out their own truck route map for state routes allowing trucks. The catch is most of those state routes were cut into mountains before TT were concieved and though they are legal truck routes OH and PA both, they are NOT PHYSICALLY WIDE ENOUGH FOR A TRACTOR TRAILER IN CURVES. Having yanked steel up, down and around those roads at night, I can honestly say you better be on your game. If you aren't 100%, you will probably mis-sync a curve and scuff a wall or drive over the four wheeler coming at you.
Its very easy to misjudge and burn the shoulder also. Nothing like coming off a mountain, around a curve and finding a car backing into the road in front of you. I almost crushed a deputy sheriff one day because he came around a ninety degree curve over the Yellow line. Hoped his bladder wasn't full. IMO, unless you are familiar w/the routes you're driving on, safety is definitely an issue.

I've let everyone pound on Familyguy a bit, before jumping in to defend him because I concur, there are good reasons for making a night delivery.

Huh?? You say you're defending him by saying that there are good reasons for making a night delivery? But he doesn't want to make any deliveries at night!! I'm confused!! :shrug:

He is absolutely 100% correct about his assesment on the inherent dangers of driving a TT at night around Western PA and Eastern Ohio. The terrain in their region is similar to WV. PA puts out their own truck route map for state routes allowing trucks. The catch is most of those state routes were cut into mountains before TT were concieved and though they are legal truck routes OH and PA both, they are NOT PHYSICALLY WIDE ENOUGH FOR A TRACTOR TRAILER IN CURVES. Having yanked steel up, down and around those roads at night, I can honestly say you better be on your game. If you aren't 100%, you will probably mis-sync a curve and scuff a wall or drive over the four wheeler coming at you.
Its very easy to misjudge and burn the shoulder also. Nothing like coming off a mountain, around a curve and finding a car backing into the road in front of you. I almost crushed a deputy sheriff one day because he came around a ninety degree curve over the Yellow line. Hoped his bladder wasn't full. IMO, unless you are familiar w/the routes you're driving on, safety is definitely an issue.

Safety is always the number one priority. But aren't we professionals? Is darkness a reason not to want to drive a certain route especially if you're on the clock and not on road (mileage) pay??

PS - Ever run Raphine to Buffalo or vise-versa?? :1036316054:

Huh?? You say you're defending him by saying that there are good reasons for making a night delivery? But he doesn't want to make any deliveries at night!! I'm confused!! :shrug:

Safety is always the number one priority. But aren't we professionals? Is darkness a reason not to want to drive a certain route especially if you're on the clock and not on road (mileage) pay??

There are good reasons to make night deliveries. However, even if we are professionals, a majority of the people sharing those roads aren't. If the roads, by their design, create an environment hostile to the safety of the people utilizing them and that risk can be safely diminished by simply waiting until morning, common sense should prevail. If common sense plays no part in the reasoning process, then there should be no allowance for a driver making a professional evaluation of road conditions in federal reg's.

Ask any dispatcher or Coordinator at my terminal, I'll drive on ice or snow til the truck won't move, if they accept responsibility for the truck getting stuck on the road. There are many places I go out of my way to avoid in W. PA. on a warm summer night. I know better than to roll those dice.