ABF | HOT Freight @ ABF

Does anyone have no floor heat and only one speed on the blower motor ? it is a 2006 sterling. We have about three of them with this problem. the mechanic said that he can't figure it out. I get panel heat and defrost, but no floor heat.

I can't tell you where it blows out but we have one that only has one speed and it's not high or low and to get that to work you have to play with the knob.

I can't tell you where it blows out but we have one that only has one speed and it's not high or low and to get that to work you have to play with the knob.
Why would anyone drive something that could cause them to freeze or get sick? If it is broke and the DOT pulls you over you could get written up . I just don't get it. I don't drive a broken truck.

Does anyone have no floor heat and only one speed on the blower motor ? it is a 2006 sterling. We have about three of them with this problem. the mechanic said that he can't figure it out. I get panel heat and defrost, but no floor heat.
Sterling has a vent door & blend door problem. The doors stick open or shut causing this problem. My city tractor is the same way. Going in to the shop & see if it can be repaired. If not, dash replacement is $3,000.000. I don't see Abf droppin 3 grand for a dash on a tractor with 800,000 miles. Have the shop set the doors on dash vent for the ac air ya gonna need. If you leave it on defrost, come may or june the ac wont be much after the air hits that hot glass. Oh well, there is always a dock bid.

Sterling has a vent door & blend door problem. The doors stick open or shut causing this problem. My city tractor is the same way. Going in to the shop & see if it can be repaired. If not, dash replacement is $3,000.000. I don't see Abf droppin 3 grand for a dash on a tractor with 800,000 miles. Have the shop set the doors on dash vent for the ac air ya gonna need. If you leave it on defrost, come may or june the ac wont be much after the air hits that hot glass. Oh well, there is always a dock bid.
Ford pick up trucks have these same problems. I wouldn't have them locked in anything other than defrost which, by the way, is the default position if and when there is a failure in the system. In order for us to get a city unit repaired for anything we have to refuse to drive it. One would think that having a tractor down when there are no extras would be incentive enough to fix them when they're written up instead of waiting until it's put out of service by a driver. :shrug:

The blend door problem could be a bad actuator or broken linkage. It shouldn't be a problem to watch the door operation to see what is & what isn't moving. The Sterling has had a blower motor switch connector plug problem forever. The plug connector contact gets loose on the switch pin & gets hot. The switch is available & the harness repair plug is an inexpensive alternative to harness replacement. I don't know the part number but the mechanic can call the Little Rock shop or regional maintenance superintendent & get the number if the local Freightliner/former Sterling dealer can't find it.
I am sure the company won't spend $3K on a dash for a nine year old tractor when they are selling complete Sterlings for $5K to $6K.

I had one with the same problem. It was blowing out of the defroster no matter where the switch was and our vendor could not figure it out.if you pull the cover off on top of the dash (4 torx screws) were the 4 power studs are located you'll see a small servo with a linkage that controls the vent doors.My plastic linkage was broken and had to be replaced.You can use a small driver and manually change the flow of the air by turning the screw on top of the linkage.its best to unplug the servo and leave it unplugged untill it's repaired.Mine happened in the summer time so I needed the A/C to blow out the dash vents not out of the defroster were it was fogging up my windshield.It took them a while to finally get the part and fix it right.Now I have 2009 mack so no more ::shit:: box Sterlings for me. I hope this info helped!

I had one with the same problem. It was blowing out of the defroster no matter where the switch was and our vendor could not figure it out.if you pull the cover off on top of the dash (4 torx screws) were the 4 power studs are located you'll see a small servo with a linkage that controls the vent doors.My plastic linkage was broken and had to be replaced.You can use a small driver and manually change the flow of the air by turning the screw on top of the linkage.its best to unplug the servo and leave it unplugged untill it's repaired.Mine happened in the summer time so I needed the A/C to blow out the dash vents not out of the defroster were it was fogging up my windshield.It took them a while to finally get the part and fix it right.Now I have 2009 mack so no more :::shit::: box Sterlings for me. I hope this info helped!
How did you an '09 Mack??? :ranting2: I think it'd take an act of God for me to get something with only 600,000 miles on it!

So I take it that there is not a vacuum pump on the Sterlings to run the air flow door.

How did you an '09 Mack??? :ranting2: I think it'd take an act of God for me to get something with only 600,000 miles on it!

So I take it that there is not a vacuum pump on the Sterlings to run the air flow door.
It's got close to 800,000 on her.After line haul got done with it our u.e. driver ran 5 turns to Carlisle (2700 miles a week) he graduated to a 2011 and I grabbed the 09.And no there's no vacuum,it's all electric driven motors.Like I said earlier I pulled the cover off turned the blower motor on and started Turning the selector knob and could see the servo was working but the plastic linkage arm was broken. Bingo!

Why would anyone drive something that could cause them to freeze or get sick? If it is broke and the DOT pulls you over you could get written up . I just don't get it. I don't drive a broken truck.
Brother Muler has a good point. DOT/FMCSA requires a defroster,.....make that a good working defroster,.....in tractors. ABF is supposed to be sitting on wads and scads of money,.......savings from the pay/vacation cuts,....that were contractually EARMARKED for new equipment purchases. Plus,.....Apparently, we're not going to get "bonuses" this year,......The O.R. was......wait for it..........97%,....instead of the 96% to qualify for bonuses.......Imagine That.........So they save another pile of money they don't have to pay out...........Lessee here,.........Equipment maintenance and purchases?,......or Executive bonuses and perks?,............which one do you think our current ..."management'.....will go for? And .........will the Three Blind Mice....AKA Jimmy/Gordon/Tyson,....once again turn a blind eye to the contractual language? We'd better invest in a Duct Tape factory,.....That seems to be ABF's maintenance program..........

Brother Muler has a good point. DOT/FMCSA requires a defroster,.....make that a good working defroster,.....in tractors. ABF is supposed to be sitting on wads and scads of money,.......savings from the pay/vacation cuts,....that were contractually EARMARKED for new equipment purchases. Plus,.....Apparently, we're not going to get "bonuses" this year,......The O.R. was......wait for it..........97%,....instead of the 96% to qualify for bonuses.......Imagine That.........So they save another pile of money they don't have to pay out...........Lessee here,.........Equipment maintenance and purchases?,......or Executive bonuses and perks?,............which one do you think our current ..."management'.....will go for? And .........will the Three Blind Mice....AKA Jimmy/Gordon/Tyson,....once again turn a blind eye to the contractual language? We'd better invest in a Duct Tape factory,.....That seems to be ABF's maintenance program..........
They fixed mine after I told them what the problem was that they couldn't figure out.Thats what they get when they hire oil changers instead of real vendors to work on their equipment!

I have an '04 Mack with 790,000 on it,........and when a toggle switch breaks,.......or something doesn't work,....I bump on down the line,.......all the way down to where we rent straight trucks for the bottom guys, because no one in this area is renting single axles anymore. I'm also anal about cleanliness,......If I have to switch trucks,......it had better be clean,...or I will clean it to D.O.T. specifications...(windows, no loose objects on floor, no garbage bags,....road truck that was smoked in,...I'll wipe it down with Clorox,....I don't smoke...).........sometimes takes an hour,...on company time. it behooves them to maintain my truck in Tip-Top order. If I write up a broken toggle switch,.....it gets fixed. I could care less about the cost, or the age of the tractor. If you want me to do an excellent job,.....give me excellent equipment. If you want to give me a '64 B-Model Mack with two sticks and no power steering,.......I will do the best job the EQUIPMENT allows me to.....

I'm also the only guy in my terminal that hands in a D.O.T. required end of trip equipment report,....and I leave a copy for me too look at during my pre-trip the next morning. I've told these guys time and again to fill out the REQUIRED form,.....but laziness prevails,.....and management loves to save paper costs. Consequently, when I do have to bump into another truck,....I find problems during a pre-trip that should've been written up. I once red-lined 3 trucks in a seven truck terminal before they had me rent a straight truck......mine was fixed the next day,....along with the other two.

I'm also the only guy in my terminal that hands in a D.O.T. required end of trip equipment report,....and I leave a copy for me too look at during my pre-trip the next morning. I've told these guys time and again to fill out the REQUIRED form,.....but laziness prevails,.....and management loves to save paper costs. Consequently, when I do have to bump into another truck,....I find problems during a pre-trip that should've been written up. I once red-lined 3 trucks in a seven truck terminal before they had me rent a straight truck......mine was fixed the next day,....along with the other two.
If and when pulled over by the law man that vehicle inspection report was always one of the first things they asked for. That and the log book took precedence over driver's license and registration. I wonder why? :shrug:

I have an '04 Mack with 790,000 on it,........and when a toggle switch breaks,.......or something doesn't work,....I bump on down the line,.......all the way down to where we rent straight trucks for the bottom guys, because no one in this area is renting single axles anymore. I'm also anal about cleanliness,......If I have to switch trucks,......it had better be clean,...or I will clean it to D.O.T. specifications...(windows, no loose objects on floor, no garbage bags,....road truck that was smoked in,...I'll wipe it down with Clorox,....I don't smoke...).........sometimes takes an hour,...on company time. it behooves them to maintain my truck in Tip-Top order. If I write up a broken toggle switch,.....it gets fixed. I could care less about the cost, or the age of the tractor. If you want me to do an excellent job,.....give me excellent equipment. If you want to give me a '64 B-Model Mack with two sticks and no power steering,.......I will do the best job the EQUIPMENT allows me to.....
I'm the same way,you could eat off my floor if you had to! (A little tough this time of year) but I keep it spot less inside and out.if I have to live in it 10to12 hours a day I want it clean.I hate when someone else uses it and don't pick up after them selves.I was off one day and somebody used it and left their mcdonalds bag and all their garbage behind.i found out who it was through the VCR right up and stuffed his garbage bag under his windshield wiper arm on his car!He never said a word to me so I figure he got the message!

What about blower motor this summer blowing cold?

Or..... Write it up per contrac. You know the ccontract they use when it bbenefits them.

I have a Sterling, and the airflow thing has always been an issue. Currently, when my airflow is set to 'OFF' air flows from the panel vents. And I still think the flashers 'freezing' when you apply the brake is a serious safety issue.

If and when pulled over by the law man that vehicle inspection report was always one of the first things they asked for. That and the log book took precedence over driver's license and registration. I wonder why? :shrug:
Dumping the liability on a driver is the first thing they teach law enforcement. They're looking for the "Gotcha" moment. That way, they can write a ticket to the driver, and not interfere with industry data collection. They justify their job,....the carrier skates through a D.O.T. check,.....everyone's happy,.......except the driver, who pays the fine. .....But who ever worried about the driver?

Speaking of the Sterlings...does anybody else have this problem: when you have your flashers on, and you put on the brake, does it 'freeze' the flashers? I brought this up with our Regional Safety Manager several months ago and haven't seen anything to fix this issue. I drove a Sterling while at Conway and never had this problem.
I only have this issue with sterlings. Not with macks or freight shakers