XPO | How frustrated are the line-haul dsr's at your barn?

ole man

TB Lurker
Credits
Line- haul dsr's are all frustrated to the level of moving on to other companies at my barn. Here are some reasons:

1. Con-way's adoption of the 70 hour rule. Not all, but a huge majority are working 14 hours every day. No body can work that on a daily basis.

2. That world famous OPTIMIZER causing an increase in work load not to mention the extra expense of moving each involved shipment.
2a. One dsr tells me the number of break trailers initially increased from 80 to 200 at the FAC he runs to. I think that final number has decreased somewhat.
2b. Another dsr told me a pure LLA came to his FAC and it was broke and shipped to 10 different terminals.

And Con-way has it all figured out, while more line-haul are preparing to move on. I know of two possibly three with things in the works. Meanwhile all GO knows is to maintain the hard line.

Responses?

Frustrated? Yep. Anything we can do to change it? Nope. I just worry about doing my run safely.

I know your pain. I got sick of swinging 4 to 5 pure lla pups to vans a night just to load 2 pure lla pups at the end of the night.

Reasons for it was the pures that came into the fac was 16-20000 lbs of meritor brake shoes and drums that got the weight up on the vans

The lighter freight sat on the dock all night to be loaded up last on pups.

This wasnt the reasoning for a fac when i started.

It was one of the main reasons i quit.

Frustrated? Yep. Anything we can do to change it? Nope. I just worry about doing my run safely.
. I agree, and I'll say I personally cannot work line-haul. I'm not cut from that type cloth. However, it seems to me, the requirements placed are to the point of being detrimental to safety and being able to return home, as stated in the #1 safety principle.

I have always thought l/h hours and conditions were ridiculous. No human being can work 14 hours every day not counting time waiting to get loads in the first place.

If safety was a priority, the company would limit drivers to maybe a 12 hour day.

Just because some idiotic rule set up by the DOT for OTR operations was somehow applied to ours doesn't mean we should follow it.

It is time for upper management to step up and change the hours l/h are forced to work.

Very well said and I totally agree. It seems to me that the safety factor, since safety is their supposed priority would be enough to limit days to 12 hours.

The line haul work at Con-way has always been extra tough on the body and soul; not until a person has experienced that kind of
work do they understand. It is hard for the general population to understand how tough it is for year in and year out sleeping in the day time if you can
then go to work an miss a lot of family functions that occur on the spur of the moment, with no opportunity to plan a PTO day. It is better now than it was in the 80"s
with no air conditioning and no power steering no radio, Yes I am that old and I have been here that long; and YES I am tired and still wore out on Saturday AM.
The fun is gone, The leadership is not customer driven anymore, and it worries me about the future of the New Blue.
It lacks the drive that was once at the old Orange, Teal, Green and Red. I sure miss the days when with out a doubt we were the very best!
These are my thoughts an opinion hope they do not hurt your feelings; if they do just get tougher like the Con-way calluses on my hands from real work!!

It would not work. 12 hours is not enought time to do what we do. I would be pissed if I could only work 12. I run linehaul by choice to MAKE money.

Line- haul dsr's are all frustrated to the level of moving on to other companies at my barn. Here are some reasons:

1. Con-way's adoption of the 70 hour rule. Not all, but a huge majority are working 14 hours every day. No body can work that on a daily basis.

2. That world famous OPTIMIZER causing an increase in work load not to mention the extra expense of moving each involved shipment.
2a. One dsr tells me the number of break trailers initially increased from 80 to 200 at the FAC he runs to. I think that final number has decreased somewhat.
2b. Another dsr told me a pure LLA came to his FAC and it was broke and shipped to 10 different terminals.

And Con-way has it all figured out, while more line-haul are preparing to move on. I know of two possibly three with things in the works. Meanwhile all GO knows is to maintain the hard line.

Responses?
It is what it is, stay or move on, this company really doesn't care anymore!:crybaby::Violin::hysterical::smiliewhs:

The line haul work at Con-way has always been extra tough on the body and soul; not until a person has experienced that kind of work do they understand. It is hard for the general population to understand how tough it is for year in and year out sleeping in the day time if you can then go to work an miss a lot of family functions that occur on the spur of the moment, with no opportunity to plan a PTO day. It is better now than it was in the 80"s with no air conditioning and no power steering no radio, Yes I am that old and I have been here that long; and YES I am tired and still wore out on Saturday AM. The fun is gone, The leadership is not customer driven anymore, and it worries me about the future of the New Blue. It lacks the drive that was once at the old Orange, Teal, Green and Red. I sure miss the days when with out a doubt we were the very best! These are my thoughts an opinion hope they do not hurt your feelings; if they do just get tougher like the Con-way calluses on my hands from real work!!
. I too am old enough to remember the older colors and like you, I miss the colors, customer and driver respect. I've run line-haul before for a while, and I won't run it anymore. The people that run it are a special breed and I'm not of that breed. Good luck friend.

It would not work. 12 hours is not enought time to do what we do. I would be pissed if I could only work 12. I run linehaul by choice to MAKE money.
. As I stated previously, line-haul requires special people, that's not me. I have run it and don't anymore. If you are able to work 12+ hours a day, more power to you. Good luck and be safe.

. As I stated previously, line-haul requires special people, that's not me. I have run it and don't anymore. If you are able to work 12+ hours a day, more power to you. Good luck and be safe.

You can bid to the city, with no change to your seniority. You don't have to run line-haul. so please leave us whom want the money, alone..please.

Responses?

Nobody forces you on that schedule..you bid on it..duh!!..

Bid to the city..quit whining ...please.

We make in five days...what other companies make in 6.

Bid off of it..dont mess it up for the ones who like working and the money..thanks.

I would 'like' this post 1000 times if I could. thanks for the post.

At Conway, you can bid on anything you want, dont' bid linehaul if your weak..please.

You can bid to the city, with no change to your seniority. You don't have to run line-haul. so please leave us whom want the money, alone..please.
I did not want to be a bother, please notice I said line-haul requires a special breed. That should be a compliment.

Nobody forces you on that schedule..you bid on it..duh!!.. Bid to the city..quit whining ...please. We make in five days...what other companies make in 6. Bid off of it..dont mess it up for the ones who like working and the money..thanks.
i don't run line-haul, I only asked a question based on observations at my barn. Good luck.

I would 'like' this post 1000 times if I could. thanks for the post. At Conway, you can bid on anything you want, dont' bid linehaul if your weak..please.
i don't bid line-haul. I asked a question and said line-haul requires special people. I have no intention of running it.

The 70 hour thing is bs. There is no way that the work we do qualifies us to be on a 70 hour week instead of 60. We aren't a 7 day operation. It is for otr and 70 was never meant to be squeezed into 5 days. I think that the company could end up with their ass in a wringer for allowing the 70 if somebody gets injured or killed by a driver between 60 and 70 hours. But here again, safety is only important if it's convenient!

The 70 hour thing is bs. There is no way that the work we do qualifies us to be on a 70 hour week instead of 60. We aren't a 7 day operation. It is for otr and 70 was never meant to be squeezed into 5 days. I think that the company could end up with their ass in a wringer for allowing the 70 if somebody gets injured or killed by a driver between 60 and 70 hours. But here again, safety is only important if it's convenient!
Good post and that's why I don't run it.

We need 14 just to get back from the face who have to break every trailer in the yard hardly any h/ls anymore its cube cube. Wtf its more lime being wore out pissed off. And extremely tired.