I am thinking about getting my CDL

Silly Goose

TB Veteran
Credits
I have no experience in driving a Semi but thinking about starting . I don't have the money to go to School . I have a very good driving record for a Class D . My husband is a retired Trucker and told me that I need to get off the insulin if I want to be a Trucker , Is that true ? Does anybody have info for me on how to get training to get my CDL ? Any info will help please .

Insulin? Get off it.

You must have a Good medical situation and any hint of diabetes risk a special kind of Coma that can turn a 40 ton tractor trailer into a ramming machine destroying 20 cars and their people....

Schedules in driving is to the company. Your ass belongs to dispatch and cannot get to the doctor for more prescription refills of Insulin or Testing etc.

Your very good car record is good. But means nothing. UNTIL you have a accident, DWI, DUI etc as in anything when you hold a CDL.

Its good you have money for school. YAY. But the money on the road is going to cost you a :shit:load more money to maintain your nutrition and hydrate among other problems.

You will encounter situations that are not human. You will be swapping your body clock and fighting it every 15 hours trying to get mandatory sleep when you are bright eyed and busy tailed. Then dead tired when finally loaded and cannot roll because you have been awake on your feet for 10 hours waiting on the trailer to be finished loading. Be due somewhere next morning at sunrise 600 plus miles away.

Late? Yer fired. Orientation? They spew so much campy BS. The reality will hit you when you are finally after two months stuck with a babysitt... er Trainer and handed keys to your first tractor trailer which will have issues and is worn out. Some of your new issues will require shop work and be less than optimal for work.

This industry is regulated to the Nth degree. You almost cannot breathe inside a tractor trailer without permission or some computer taking note of it.

More than likely you cannot idle. 25 degrees? Engine off. 110 degrees? Sit there and sweat. If you are inside Jersey, NYC etc Be aware people rake in 90 dollars from the city if you are reported for idlng you pay the 300 dollar fine, they get 90 dollars and do nothing but go around reporting idlers for income. Some approach 150,000 a year cash.

Your loads are not yours. Your schedule is not yours. People say they will have you do things you did not sign up for. You get bent over both ways while sucking it foricbly. Then theres the DOT, FMCSA and So forth all the way down to the insufferable county lawman who thinks your scuffed tire is OOS violation.

You can want that CDL, you can wanna drive a truck. But Brother you were born decades too late to do this freely.

And back to Nutrition.

Im fairly sure you have a diet down pat. But out here? The food situation is really really poor. You cannot sit down in a truckstop and custom order food just so. IF you can get to one in a timely manner to maintain your blood sugar. Then you go into acoma and thats that.

It might be a day and change before you eat again. Unless you have fast food somewhere or go dash or street food greasy trucks etc. Its less than ideall.

And I cannot imagine the money you will need to make in order to thrive in this :shit:ting industry that will FIRE Your ass at a moments notice for anything. Scrape a pole? boo boo a car? Whoops break a cider case trying to load it onto a pallet? Its all on you. You are liable for it.

Then there is the economic damages. If you do not make it your first twelve months with ONE employer without issues or service failures, you will be economically removed from trucking. No one will hire you. But a volvo equipped rusted out Russian mafia will hire you and then mule and abuse you out of Chicago. No anything of value.

Me? Ive had a lifetime in this thing. I have learned to hate it with a passion for what it does destroying people. For example. 100,000 truckers in the last year was removed pernamently from trucking for pot. Then the State DMV's destroy the CDL. Poof. No medical card renewal? Poof no CDL....

Thats the lasts thing you need with diabetes. They give a three month DOT medical card and thats a one time thing. If you cannot be diabetes free and prove it medically in 90 days you dont have a DOT medical anymore. And cannot continue in Trucking.

It would be a waste.

I have no experience in driving a Semi but thinking about starting . I don't have the money to go to School . I have a very good driving record for a Class D . My husband is a retired Trucker and told me that I need to get off the insulin if I want to be a Trucker , Is that true ? Does anybody have info for me on how to get training to get my CDL ? Any info will help please .

As far as getting a CDL, there is federal money out there, if you qualify, to take a class, and get your license . In Illinois it is called the, BEST program. It is probably under a different name in your home state.You will have to attend a certified school though, as the law changed on this, February 7 of this year.

You cannot have any hint of Diabetes. If a DOT doctor even suspects or thinks thats a possibility given your history and so on... You probably will not be qualified.

Even if you were... Employers in trucking have insurance companies that can refuse to insure or allow your hire based on suspected or known medical history of diabetes.

Its not a attack on you personally. Its one of several conditions that can turn a 18 wheeler into a killing machine. And the liability alone is too much of a risk.

Previous two posts are reported with requests to delete that crap. (My two posts)

See if I participate anymore with information that no one gives a *******.

Insulin is no good at all for CDL aspirations. One of my co-workers is no longer fit for duty because of it. He’s a dockworker and managed to stay on but I know he’d rather be driving.

I got rid of my CDL some years ago and all the ::shit:: tied to it.

I just got a basic car license and no longer give a damn. I had a lifetime of shoving 18 wheelers around North America and am sick of it.

In some ways I thank god that I just got a idiot car license. None of that overburdened regulations, three ring circuses, testing and all that bloating ::shit:: choking our current new trucking school graduates. apply anymore in my lifetime.

IF I was the new trucking school student hoping for a CDL, you are not going to find what you are looking for here in America under the current regulating. Not in this industry.

^^^^good advice^^^^

If I could go back 20 years I would have just finished up college and did something else other than drive.
I would have too.

What burns me is I did not have eyes to see. Baltimore and surrounding areas is ALL warehousing and breakbulk and just tons of Trucking, Trains and Ships the world came to us for everything.

I thought Trucking would be awesome and it was. Deregulation killed it. Then the destruction of that expensive real estate in warehousing followed by a switch to JIT trucking on every thing from ****ing potato chips all the way to chinee ::shit:: that took 4 months to cross the pacific to the west coast...

What a waste of my life.

I refuse however to be bitter about it. I did so much in those years. I was free in a way. And the people were awesome. Particularly the women. and the food etc. I was alive.

Today I fade away on bad days without proper medicine. Not that I really care too much about a future full of more of the same. Its not a attractive life.

What I can do is tell stories. People tear out the counter and try to beat me over the head with it. What they dont understand is that some of those things happened before some of them were alive and some were essentially fabrications. Sea Stories for entertainment purposes among other things.

I am remaining very appalled, outraged and essentially shocked by the amount of regulating crushing our truckers today, particularly the young ones. They will do better to join the military. The physical health is not the issue then.

I would have too.

What burns me is I did not have eyes to see. Baltimore and surrounding areas is ALL warehousing and breakbulk and just tons of Trucking, Trains and Ships the world came to us for everything.

I thought Trucking would be awesome and it was. Deregulation killed it. Then the destruction of that expensive real estate in warehousing followed by a switch to JIT trucking on every thing from ****ing potato chips all the way to chinee **** that took 4 months to cross the pacific to the west coast...

What a waste of my life.

I refuse however to be bitter about it. I did so much in those years. I was free in a way. And the people were awesome. Particularly the women. and the food etc. I was alive.

Today I fade away on bad days without proper medicine. Not that I really care too much about a future full of more of the same. Its not a attractive life.

What I can do is tell stories. People tear out the counter and try to beat me over the head with it. What they dont understand is that some of those things happened before some of them were alive and some were essentially fabrications. Sea Stories for entertainment purposes among other things.

I am remaining very appalled, outraged and essentially shocked by the amount of regulating crushing our truckers today, particularly the young ones. They will do better to join the military. The physical health is not the issue then.
We all make life decisions we could kick ourselves for, Ted, but realized it too late usually.

I have no regrets about the 36 years I spent working in trucking. When I first stated I was also going to college part-time at night. I finally gave up college because it was interfering with all the overtime I was working.
I'm now retired with two pensions, SSA, and I do whatever I want
whenever I want to.

Last edited:
My brother is a plumber by trade. He makes a killing. A customer of mine is a mechanical contractor and they need help so bad it’s ridiculous…they can’t even get guys in the door, even with a paid apprenticeship program for plumbers, electricians, hvac, etc. Just makes me scratch my head and wonder.

I have no regrets about the 36 years I spent working in trucking. When I first stated I was also going to college part-time at night. I finally gave up college because it was interfering with all the overtime I was working.
whenever I want to.
Whenever Mrs. Mud gives you the OK?

whenever I want to.
You ever adjust your mirrors?