TForce | I was given a brand new UPS Freight trailer.

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
This last Monday I came in to do my route.
Everything was loaded on this trailer thats only 3 months old.
It has the E track sides with 8 load bars hung up at the top of the tracks.

I had to make a pick-up after my route was done that the customer loaded double stacked skids.
I had to stand on my hand cart to reach all those load bars to take them down so all the skids would clear.
Its a nice looking trailer,and I'm getting used to the door rolling hard also closing hard,because its so new.

But I do miss my 14 year old route trailer.
It was broke in ,also when I deliver on tree lined residental streets this new trailer will have branch marks all down sides.
My old trailer had so many marks you could never tell one from another.
Oh well change is hard no matter what it is.

Hey Apo,

We go a new city van in at our barn today it is a Great Dane. It has 6 load locks in the top of the trailer.

Yup gater,its nice to see UPS replacing the old Overnite route vans with brand new UPS Freight,instead of repainting.

I'm getting my door to close better since I've had mine all week now.
My terminal is going by senority for the new replacements.
I have one guy above me that his old trailer repainted last month.
We had two new ones come in over last weekend.
I got one,also the driver under me.

After one day with this new trailer.
I asked to have my old trailer back.
All I got was a lot of laughing from my inbound supervisor,and TM,which they both said no can do.
This trailer belongs to your route,get used to it.
So I am doing just that.
I'm getting to old to update my resume.

At least now when I pull into a customers dock I don't have to hear.
When are they going to paint your trailer UPS?
Or customers that have UPS Freight won't say we don't have any shippments for Overnite,when they see my old Overnite trailer.

I tell you what gater,now that we work for UPS we are a lot better off,than working for the old cheap Overnite.

Yup gater,its nice to see UPS replacing the old Overnite route vans with brand new UPS Freight,instead of repainting.

I'm getting my door to close better since I've had mine all week now.
My terminal is going by senority for the new replacements.
I have one guy above me that his old trailer repainted last month.
We had two new ones come in over last weekend.
I got one,also the driver under me.

After one day with this new trailer.
I asked to have my old trailer back.
All I got was a lot of laughing from my inbound supervisor,and TM,which they both said no can do.
This trailer belongs to your route,get used to it.
So I am doing just that.
I'm getting to old to update my resume.

At least now when I pull into a customers dock I don't have to hear.
When are they going to paint your trailer UPS?
Or customers that have UPS Freight won't say we don't have any shippments for Overnite,when they see my old Overnite trailer.

I tell you what gater,now that we work for UPS we are a lot better off,than working for the old cheap Overnite.

The "old cheap overnite" that is so funny, but so true. LOL:hysterical:

What purpose does the brushes have on the sides attached to the front,and tail?
I thought they may keep the wet road spray off the back window of my day cab,but it doesn't happen like I'd hoped.
So some of you youngens that are up on all of the modern equipment ,what gives with these hanging brushes?
Its hard to reach around them to pull the tractor pin open when dropping the trailer.
I get my nice new winter jacket all messed up on the back,when we've had a rain storm.
These brushes hold the water real good.

What purpose does the brushes have on the sides attached to the front,and tail?
I thought they may keep the wet road spray off the back window of my day cab,but it doesn't happen like I'd hoped.
So some of you youngens that are up on all of the modern equipment ,what gives with these hanging brushes?
Its hard to reach around them to pull the tractor pin open when dropping the trailer.
I get my nice new winter jacket all messed up on the back,when we've had a rain storm.
These brushes hold the water real good.

Thier rain guards Apo, in Oregon and Washington they are required. I don't know about other states. They keep the spray from blinding cars as they pass.

The very first issue I had with this new trailer was the load bars.

They are up high and out of reach when your standing on the trailer floor.
Theres also 8 of them.
In all of my 20 plus years working the city with Overnite,I've never needed more than 2 load bars for anything.

Well I posted that I had to climb up on my hand cart to reach these bars.
I had to take them all down so my customer could load his double stacked skids on.
He had to many to breck them down.
I had a bungy strap in my tractor,so I bungyed all the bars on the left side at the tail .

The next morning our terminals inbound dock leader pitched a screamming fit about my bars hanging on the trailer side.
She said they would be trashed with her crew trying to load my route up.
So I talked my TM into letting me put them at the back corner of our drivers room.
That night when I came off my route I took my black marker to put my trailer number on all of the bars.
I did keep 2 with me on the trailer.
My outbound supervisor said I couldn't leave them where I had them,because if someone of our dock crew needed one for another trailer they would walk off never to be seen again.
I said you've got to be kidding?
He said they have to stay with my trailer.
So I put them one on top of another in the last track in the nose,starting from below my knees.
Now I have a 46 foot trailer for all of my loads,because keeping these bars where they are, I lost 2 feet.
Funny thing is everybody is pleased with this idea.

I tell you sometimes in this trucking business its the smallest of things that can drive supervision up the wall.
Also the smallest ideas of resolving the issue can make everyone happy.

Strange trucking game we are working in?

They are to knock down the rocks that fly up and crack car windshields.

It is my understanding that they are rain/spray curtains. This is to keep the rain spray down to a minimum so a car passing has a better veiw. This was intended to make it safe for all. There is a better chance of the car not loseing control and pulling you into a collision with them. Because you know, They just got to get ahead of that big truck.

It is my understanding that they are rain/spray curtains. This is to keep the rain spray down to a minimum so a car passing has a better veiw. This was intended to make it safe for all. There is a better chance of the car not loseing control and pulling you into a collision with them. Because you know, They just got to get ahead of that big truck.
BusterNite,
You are correct. I talked with a UPS Feeder Driver and he told me that they are for the spray and that UPS has been using them for years. He also said that they help with spray on his mirrors. Sounds like we at 'O" we behind the times.

Tell em you want air released fifth wheels like FXF is getting ;)

FM
Sounds good, How about a yard man to go along with it so he can unhook the lines and lower the gear. I will be watching in the mirror.
I did not know that this technology was out yet. Allthough 25 years back I had air slide adjustable 5th wheel on my big truck.

hmmm, just was wondering the same thing, I'd would have thought you had the air release fifth wheels. Not even on the new trucks?

Thank you to one and all to let me know what the trailer side brushes are for.

The only time they are a pain in the neck is when I have to unhook after backing into the dock where my route trailer is parked.
We haven't had any mesured snow as yet.
But when we do these brushes will be filled with dirty snow,and salt from our roads.
I'm thinking I'll leave an old winter coat in my tractor just for unhooking so I don't mess up my UPS Freight jacket.
The door is very stiff,and drags,its going to take a long time to be broken in.
Other than that its a nice trailer.
And you all know I've posted that its hard to please truckdrivers.
I include myself in that statement.