XPO | Icp here at last!!!

I don't remember being told to expect a 4% raise every year.

And I don't remember what annual raise rate our projected pension was based on. It may have been 4%. But I do remember that my pension back then was WAY bigger then reality since they've decided to dump it.

I don't remember being told to expect a 4% raise every year.

And I don't remember what annual raise rate our projected pension was based on. It may have been 4%. But I do remember that my pension back then was WAY bigger then reality since they've decided to dump it.

At orientation they gave us all the figures for pension & 401k payout when you retire it was based on a 4 % raise every year.

I was also told we would never put our customers freight on another carrier.

Rat, Alot of the old timers say the samething.

"When i went to orientation we were told if it is P/U by a con-way truck it will be sent out on a con-way truck."

I'll here that comment about 3-4 times a week.

In actuality, we were told the exact same thing at our EO.

Problem with this come into play when you say 'oldtimers'. The leaders of the company when that statement was made are not the leaders of today. And it is painfully obvious in some repects that this is not the Con-Way of old.

There is a school of thought in this company (and other companies as well) of wanting to return to the "good old days"...The era of Jerry D.and Dick P. Well that isn't going to happen any time soon if at all.

The one fact that never changes is the fact everything changes. Leaders come and go...companies come and go...customers come and go. So change is inevitable and constant. And it needs to be that way. This is not same business environment as it was in the days those statements (promises?) were made.

This economy and the LTL environment has taken some hard hits. There are many companies in financial trouble. Too many LTL companies with sufficient capability and not enough freight. Everyone is doing what they can to survive...provide service and make a profit. Some are struggling to just hold on hoping to ride out the storm until the economy improves.

Substitute service (sub-service) carriers were inevitable. The cost associated with Con-Way drivers carrying the ESL freight is without a doubt higher than using sub-service. Meet and turns require specific timing. Time is involved with drop and hooks...the paperwork..dispatching...etc. We are paid very well for what we do. Unfortunately this came into play when the decision was made to use sub-service carriers.

With sub-service you have 550 or more miles one way without the costs and delays asssociated with CW drivers doing meet and turns. Add a team to the mix and now you have even more uninterrupted miles. No delays equal more miles equal less expense and better customer service. No can equal our next day service area and our ESL times on a consistent basis. We can accomplish by using sub-service.

Like it or not it is here to stay. Just be thankful CW is not farming out P&D and most of our LHs...

Rat :loser:

At orientation they gave us all the figures for pension & 401k payout when you retire it was based on a 4 % raise every year.

It was just a few years ago our president wanted to put Social Security into the market...because the market was doing so well.

Thank God that didn't happen...I've lost almost 60% of my 401K!! I'm sure everyone else has also!

I think all "promises" the company made were based on the projections at the time. Times have recently changed drastically, not only for us, but for everyone.

I was also told we would never put our customers freight on another carrier.

Rat, Alot of the old timers say the samething.

"When i went to orientation we were told if it is P/U by a con-way truck it will be sent out on a con-way truck."

I'll here that comment about 3-4 times a week.

All of them "shiny wheels" leaving the yard, say Con-Way on the door......

(followed by Truckload).....

That's true. Clinton wanted to put part of SS into stocks and everyone was against it. Stocks are very volatile no matter what the economy. I think I'm going to start putting mine under the mattress from now on.

Clinton's Newest Social Security Plan: From Bad to Worse

It was just a few years ago our president wanted to put Social Security into the market...because the market was doing so well.

Thank God that didn't happen...I've lost almost 60% of my 401K!! I'm sure everyone else has also!

I think all "promises" the company made were based on the projections at the time. Times have recently changed drastically, not only for us, but for everyone.

That's true. Clinton wanted to put part of SS into stocks and everyone was against it. Stocks are very volatile no matter what the economy. I think I'm going to start putting mine under the mattress from now on.

Clinton's Newest Social Security Plan: From Bad to Worse

I couldn't believe the day would ever come when I appreciated Bill Clinton...But lo and behold, it is here..!!!! We are going to be even sorrier a year from now than we are today...

I don't think I've ever really believed that SS would be there for me anyways. Just like times before SS came along, we'll all be working up til the very end, no matter what president we have now and in the future.

I don't think I've ever really believed that SS would be there for me anyways. Just like times before SS came along, we'll all be working up til the very end, no matter what president we have now and in the future.

Yep, but you have been paying into it for alot of years like I have, and I have a choice...either take myself out of the system or continue to pay into something I may never see a dime of..

You know, I put my money into a lot of government programs that I don't want to be a party to. Wonder if I could withdraw from them?? Yeah... right.

As for SS, I might not get much but whatever I may get it might mean the difference between me having a roof over my head and food on the table.

You know, I put my money into a lot of government programs that I don't want to be a party to. Wonder if I could withdraw from them?? Yeah... right.

As for SS, I might not get much but whatever I may get it might mean the difference between me having a roof over my head and food on the table.
Yeah, I'm with you, I don't think I would want to stop paying into Soc. Sec. It's good to know that it will be there when I retire. Of if something should happen to me and I need it early. And please don't tell me that SOS will be broke when I retire. People have been saying that for 30 years. It's still here.

SOS, my 550 Con-way pension(better than nothing), and my (i hope) half mil. in my 401 when I retire, should carry us through.:smilie_132:

performance driven

Ya me to..It would be nice if they would give us targeted bonuses based on terminals performance.My zone made a profit last year for conway, be nice if we saw a reward for that.:furious:
that would be nice and would be nice for employees also. i hate doing a job because im better than someone else.the better you are the more work they give you has got to stop.

I got a better idea .. why dont they just do away with it. It sure seems like to me that some of you are very ungrateful for what you have gotten.

that would be nice and would be nice for employees also. i hate doing a job because im better than someone else.the better you are the more work they give you has got to stop.

not a bad idea, but there are some geographic areas that are at a profit disadvantage because freight is so imbalanced, and regardless of how well they do, they don't have an equal playing field to achieve...How do you fix that..??
2 areas that come to mind are the PNW and Florida..