Estes | idling trucks

chevyman

TB Lurker
Credits
Just wondering if all trucks shut off at 3 minutes. the weather the guys have to put up with wwwaaaayyyyyyy up north, just got my curiosity up. Do you have to sit in your truck being -20 trying to get your truck warm. I know ya'll have block heaters but does it really help that much? You cant tell me shutting them off at 3 minutes is saving money, especially if you are cranking them all the time to keep them running. What if you break down on the side of the road with a blow out r u just supposed to freeze to death or do i need to carry me an electric blanket? or carry some logs in my truck so I can build a fire. I sometimes think we should be afforded the same luxury as team drivers, with keeping our trucks idling and letting them run 68. just my opinion.

No block heaters in Massachusetts. We can't even get our line dryers working. The company is based in Virginia, they don't understand ice and snow.
You can get around the 3 minute idle by hitting the cruise control switch. It revs the truck to 10 rpms, and does not shut off in most of the trucks I've seen.
It's always fun to hit the brakes, and have 5000 pounds of ice slide off the top of the trailer, and fill up the fairing and catwalk, as you sit there and hope your head is not cut off through the window. If you break down in this weather, just better hope you have enough frieght in the trailer to burn, and keep you warm..
I know a guy that did this while sitting on the highway in Cape Cod, without a soul around. :clap:

well my truck wont idle even when u bump the cruise control it used to but not anymore after the BIG cutback one driver i know his truck still idles even without bumping the cruise so go figure

well my truck wont idle even when u bump the cruise control it used to but not anymore after the BIG cutback one driver i know his truck still idles even without bumping the cruise so go figure

all of our trucks you just have to hit the throttle when the buzzer goes off. At least thats the way out here

read a memo at 031 last night about lots of drivers calling the hill asking if they would increase the idle time. There answer was a big fat NO.

well we got 30 minutes per the shop..... and kc shop don't do anything unless its told to do so.
mine is 30 minutes

well we got 30 minutes per the shop..... and kc shop don't do anything unless its told to do so.
mine is 30 minutes

Man I sure wish we could get back to 30 min. like ours was before. This 3 min stuff is a bad deal. If ya break-down or have to wait on a meet man or something ya can't even get a nap cause ya gotta sit and tap the fuel ever 3 min. to stay warm. At sub-zero it don't take long for the cab to get real cold real fast.

Richmond would probably cut everybodys idles lose if it was'nt for drivers that abuse it and idle when they don't need to.

Man I sure wish we could get back to 30 min. like ours was before. This 3 min stuff is a bad deal. If ya break-down or have to wait on a meet man or something ya can't even get a nap cause ya gotta sit and tap the fuel ever 3 min. to stay warm. At sub-zero it don't take long for the cab to get real cold real fast.

Richmond would probably cut everybodys idles lose if it was'nt for drivers that abuse it and idle when they don't need to.

I only have to hit mine once. That is just bad

No I just carry me a portable heater along, it works pretty good.
And well I've already had to have the tow guys come and get the truck going 3 times this year.
Oh ya and a big bill at the terminal when we had froze up trucks.
I don't have a block heater in mine.
I guess they just don't care or are imune to cold weather down there in Virginia.
But then again I lived in North Carolina for a couple years and I can understand why they would not understand us Yankee boys up here in the cold.

My starter died and our mechanic came out and turned up my idle time to 2 hours and pull started me. Hasn't turned it down yet. Sure comes in handy on those cold 0 degree mornings.

I'm thinking we set the heat in the offices to a 3 min limit, then when they do some work... the heat kicks back on. Something to that effect. The offices here @ 024 are ridiculously warm, I'm sure a few of you know that from the time well spent waiting the the drivers lounge. :biglaugh: That 5th wheel grease from VA is also another thing they might wanna look into changing or providing something different when the weather turns cold. I heard lots of complaints (and the coldest it got here was 4 degrees) I'm sure BeerBoy and a few others can attest to how well things work in the cold. Oh that's right, they don't. :smilie_132:

ya that grease they use is concrete when its anywhere below 10 . turns to concrete. hint use fuel treatment . pour it all over your fifth wheel plate. use the dolly's that have the latch you have to move to pull the handle. i'll add pictures tomarrow.
RICHMOND : USE RED GREASE PLEASE IN THE WINTER !!

I'm thinking we set the heat in the offices to a 3 min limit, then when they do some work... the heat kicks back on. Something to that effect. The offices here @ 024 are ridiculously warm, I'm sure a few of you know that from the time well spent waiting the the drivers lounge. :biglaugh: That 5th wheel grease from VA is also another thing they might wanna look into changing or providing something different when the weather turns cold. I heard lots of complaints (and the coldest it got here was 4 degrees) I'm sure BeerBoy and a few others can attest to how well things work in the cold. Oh that's right, they don't. :smilie_132:

Iv been to 024 from time to time and you could cook meat in that place.Bit toasty