Yellow | In tax terms ( taking a loss )

rumors in our drivers room is you can claim it as a loss because we were given worthless stock.......we were given something that turned out to be a loss.
Opinions?

rumors in our drivers room is you can claim it as a loss because we were given worthless stock.......we were given something that turned out to be a loss.
Opinions?

I thought the worthless stock was tied to the 15% and since you were unable to exercise the stock option it would be a loss but was told I was wrong. There was a lengthy thread on this subject and no one came thru with any information to support this fairy tale.

None of those shares reached the strike price that would have triggered one's ability to sell.

We were given the shares, but not truly in lieu of wages.
Last I read El, the share price would have to be near $60.00 just to break even !!! Another words if it was 61, it would be worth a dollar to us $$$$

Opinions?

You can only deduct a loss when you sell the stock for less than your basis.

Sounds like you guys were awarded stock options, not shares of stock.

There's a letter going around work from the Tax Counsel for YRCW That they sent to the tax firm that is making false statements requesting that they cease and desist......... I sent a copy of the letter to Jeff so he can post it.....

There's a letter going around work from the Tax Counsel for YRCW That they sent to the tax firm that is making false statements requesting that they cease and desist......... I sent a copy of the letter to Jeff so he can post it.....
So the company is worried about truck driver BS? Must be some truth to it then! <sarcasm>

So, one is to place a value on awarded options that were never exercised and claim a loss? Mine must have been worth MILLIONS!!

Did anyone notice the key words in the article about option losses - those words being "purchase price"? You can't claim a loss on something in which you had no basis. Let's get back to DHL or Deutsche Bank or Pennsylvania Deutsche buying YRCW. :)

So, one is to place a value on awarded options that were never exercised and claim a loss? Mine must have been worth MILLIONS!!
Did anyone notice the key words in the article about option losses - those words being "purchase price"? You can't claim a loss on something in which you had no basis. Let's get back to DHL or Deutsche Bank or Pennsylvania Deutsche buying YRCW. :)

Notice what?