Yellow | Insurance For Retirees

Trucker18

TB Lurker
Credits
Can anyone help me understand whether or not we qualify for Retiree Health Benefit Plan Coverage? Union Member from 1989 thru 2000, then again from 2015 to present. We received a letter earlier this year regarding eligibility. We meet two of the three requirements. The provision not met was the 40 of 52 weeks in 7 out of ten years before retirement.

However what was odd was that the letter stated we met the requirement for 20 years under a collective bargaining unit. We do not meet that requirement. We questioned this and the person at Central States told us the reason we met this was due to an agreement in 2006.

Anyone know what the agreement was in 2006? Was there some type of provision made in the contract to cover old CF workers? I've researched here, and I've called twice since then and we are having a difficult time getting a straight answer.

If it is a matter of working a year or so longer to get health coverage, it would be definitely worth it. However, working another year or so doesn't do much for our pension.

Can anyone help me understand whether or not we qualify for Retiree Health Benefit Plan Coverage? Union Member from 1989 thru 2000, then again from 2015 to present. We received a letter earlier this year regarding eligibility. We meet two of the three requirements. The provision not met was the 40 of 52 weeks in 7 out of ten years before retirement.

However what was odd was that the letter stated we met the requirement for 20 years under a collective bargaining unit. We do not meet that requirement. We questioned this and the person at Central States told us the reason we met this was due to an agreement in 2006.

Anyone know what the agreement was in 2006? Was there some type of provision made in the contract to cover old CF workers? I've researched here, and I've called twice since then and we are having a difficult time getting a straight answer.

If it is a matter of working a year or so longer to get health coverage, it would be definitely worth it. However, working another year or so doesn't do much for our pension.
Send me an email with you phone number [email protected]

Hoffa asserts that he has the right to change the NMFA without a vote of the affected member

Just like he had the right to force the UPS contract after members voted NO UPS already put out a statement about coming back to the table Hoffa forces the contract. I don't understand any Teamster who supports Hoffa time to retire just go away?

Based on reading the letter, it say the health care costs over $1200 in the example given, but we were told by Central States it was $200 for member and spouse. Can anyone confirm the amount for member and spouse? It makes a difference to us. If it's $1200, there's no need for us to work any longer because we can do better or the same on our own.

The last time I knew they raised it to 2k out of pocket.
I had two different years I had expensive surgery and it was 2k up front each year.
Kills ya. Bank account anyway.

Yes. 100 each. When I turn 65 I go on medi-whatever
Same with her but she is only 58 and I pay 100 until she turns 65.
Interesting! I didn't know that, thought it was $1100???. One (of several) reasons I don't retire (I'm 65) is to keep my and my wife's insurance thru my company. Better than TeamCare (covers more). Costs us $125 (together) bi-weekly. Wife turns 63 Friday, so I'm here at least 2 more years. Probably more. Mostly depends on what happens to CSPF.

Interesting! I didn't know that, thought it was $1100???. One (of several) reasons I don't retire (I'm 65) is to keep my and my wife's insurance thru my company. Better than TeamCare (covers more). Costs us $125 (together) bi-weekly. Wife turns 63 Friday, so I'm here at least 2 more years. Probably more. Mostly depends on what happens to CSPF.
Ya. I'm 63. I get to keep it for two more years and then I go on the medi-whatever.
Now I don't know what the co-pay deductible is on major stuff.
But Dr visits are still $20 bucks.
I just had a physical and it was completely covered.
Shingle shot. Tetanus. Blood work. Pee work. Not even a CO - pay.
Now that your 65 bsbs will not cover you. But will cover your wife till she turns 65.
Its pretty simple.
The 1100 you speak of may be the major medical co-pay. I don't know.

I'm so confused. Received the second letter from Central States today that contradicts the first letter. It says we do not meet the 20 year service requirement. However, the person we spoke to at Central States a few months ago when we received the first letter of eligibility of health benefits said we were 'awarded' it because of an agreement in 2006. I guess I'll call back. This is pretty important. You would think they could get it right.

I'm so confused. Received the second letter from Central States today that contradicts the first letter. It says we do not meet the 20 year service requirement. However, the person we spoke to at Central States a few months ago when we received the first letter of eligibility of health benefits said we were 'awarded' it because of an agreement in 2006. I guess I'll call back. This is pretty important. You would think they could get it right.
I guess when you have a break in service like you did it would confuse everyone on what is supposed to be done.
Ya got me confused.

Ya. I'm 63. I get to keep it for two more years and then I go on the medi-whatever.
Now I don't know what the co-pay deductible is on major stuff.
But Dr visits are still $20 bucks.
I just had a physical and it was completely covered.
Shingle shot. Tetanus. Blood work. Pee work. Not even a CO - pay.
Now that your 65 bsbs will not cover you. But will cover your wife till she turns 65.
Its pretty simple.
The 1100 you speak of may be the major medical co-pay. I don't know.
The difference is, Teamsters kick you to MediCare at 65. My company will keep me insured at ANY age, long as I'm a Full Time Employee.

The difference is, Teamsters kick you to MediCare at 65. My company will keep me insured at ANY age, long as I'm a Full Time Employee.
"as long as I'm a full time employee"
Well. If I stayed full time I'd be fully insured.
I knew what I was getting into.
I just flat out didn't want to work anymore.
And I stopped as soon as I could.
I applaud those that can keep going in the insane world of LTL.
More power to you. I mean that sincerely too
I just simply didn't want to do it anymore.
As soon as.... Or a bit before.... I turned 62. I got out of debt.
Sold my house. Built another with the profit. And left.
We don't need alot. We need insurance. But not being in debt helps
We are happy even after the short time I have stopped working.
And I will never regret leaving. I don't miss it and it's already a distant memory.
Almost like it never happened. LTL is not the only place I worked. I didn't start there till I was 30 years old. So more than 40 years of working I'm done. I don't have to work anymore. And that is what I love. I don't "have" to work.
But kudos to those who want to keep going. Now. Those who stay because they are afraid because of insurance reasons. Or maybe they are not healthy. The ones who stay to keep insurance and are healthy I don't understand. Maybe they still like their jobs. I didn't like what it had become. It was like assembly line work.
S. O. S everyday. So it was time for me to go. I made the right decision.
I know not everyone can do it. Some are forced to stay because a wife is sick and they need the insurance. Or they are. I understand that. And I feel bad especially now. Because it's so nice not to have to work. Day after day after day..... I bring more home now than when I worked even minus the insurance money they take.
Not much more. But more. That I didn't expect and a pleasant surprise.
Ya. I could have stayed. Kept all of my insurance. Even after 65 you keep the bcbs insurance. But I didn't want to.
I know one person. City driver. I was dock. This city driver was waiting to max all he could get. He needs 3 and a half more years. That's fine if you can and want to do it. More power to him if he can put up with the work and stuff. It's what I told him. I begrudge nobody as long as they don't mind doing it.
I was on the dock. I didn't get away from the building. Assembly line work.
Same freight. Same loads. Everyday. I had enough. And I'm not even going into how screwed up it was. Or how some of the people acted and harassed others.
Or stewards that had favorites. ( I wasn't one.) don't want to be. Not going into how after 11 years people are still seperated by the company. Roadway. Yellow. Neither exists except in some minds of the people. Stupid.
None of that makes any difference now. They can infight all they want. I won't see or hear it anymore.
The LTL world of work is so screwed up. But I'm not in it anymore and I couldn't be happier.
I have good insurance. And I aways will. Even after 65. Our situation allows us to be comfortable. Not rich. Comfy. That's all I want. And not to work. Lol.

"as long as I'm a full time employee"
Well. If I stayed full time I'd be fully insured.
I knew what I was getting into.
I just flat out didn't want to work anymore.
And I stopped as soon as I could.
I applaud those that can keep going in the insane world of LTL.
More power to you. I mean that sincerely too
I just simply didn't want to do it anymore.
As soon as.... Or a bit before.... I turned 62. I got out of debt.
Sold my house. Built another with the profit. And left.
We don't need alot. We need insurance. But not being in debt helps
We are happy even after the short time I have stopped working.
And I will never regret leaving. I don't miss it and it's already a distant memory.
Almost like it never happened. LTL is not the only place I worked. I didn't start there till I was 30 years old. So more than 40 years of working I'm done. I don't have to work anymore. And that is what I love. I don't "have" to work.
But kudos to those who want to keep going. Now. Those who stay because they are afraid because of insurance reasons. Or maybe they are not healthy. The ones who stay to keep insurance and are healthy I don't understand. Maybe they still like their jobs. I didn't like what it had become. It was like assembly line work.
S. O. S everyday. So it was time for me to go. I made the right decision.
I know not everyone can do it. Some are forced to stay because a wife is sick and they need the insurance. Or they are. I understand that. And I feel bad especially now. Because it's so nice not to have to work. Day after day after day..... I bring more home now than when I worked even minus the insurance money they take.
Not much more. But more. That I didn't expect and a pleasant surprise.
Ya. I could have stayed. Kept all of my insurance. Even after 65 you keep the bcbs insurance. But I didn't want to.
I know one person. City driver. I was dock. This city driver was waiting to max all he could get. He needs 3 and a half more years. That's fine if you can and want to do it. More power to him if he can put up with the work and stuff. It's what I told him. I begrudge nobody as long as they don't mind doing it.
I was on the dock. I didn't get away from the building. Assembly line work.
Same freight. Same loads. Everyday. I had enough. And I'm not even going into how screwed up it was. Or how some of the people acted and harassed others.
Or stewards that had favorites. ( I wasn't one.) don't want to be. Not going into how after 11 years people are still seperated by the company. Roadway. Yellow. Neither exists except in some minds of the people. Stupid.
None of that makes any difference now. They can infight all they want. I won't see or hear it anymore.
The LTL world of work is so screwed up. But I'm not in it anymore and I couldn't be happier.
I have good insurance. And I aways will. Even after 65. Our situation allows us to be comfortable. Not rich. Comfy. That's all I want. And not to work. Lol.
I left with the merger, in 2009. Best move I ever made, to the Best Company I ever worked for. I enjoy my job, it's like a vacation every week. So I stay.

I left with the merger, in 2009. Best move I ever made, to the Best Company I ever worked for. I enjoy my job, it's like a vacation every week. So I stay.
Nothing wrong with that.
It's all an individual personal decision.
I used to well not enjoy. But I didn't mind.
But it got to the point of drudgery.
That was the end for me.
P. S.
I liked working at Roadway.
It took less than 11 years to grow tired of the merger.
That was only because they never really improved anything.
They said they did this and that. But it was the same. Nothing changed but faces.

Last edited: