Yellow | Is this only happening at My Terminal or is this wide spread?

i work out of mtc and we have a layoff every monday night the rest of the week they miss deliverys and pickups and no one cares starting with mangagement so when i get laid off idont answer the phone every one should do the same thing the guys under me say they wont answer either but they do good union brothers

Brother, you about jerked a tear outta me. I hope everyone stands up and takes notice of your actions, because y'all did what any teamster should do, but most have forgotten how to. Share the work, you are your brother's keeper.

Thanks for the post... You make me proud to be a TEAMSTER again."

I feel fortunate to work with a group of really good guys. I think most guys want a day off as much as give a lower guy the chance to work.

I was at Roadway for a short time before I came to Yellow and it was a bit different there. I am not speaking ill of those guys in anyway; they were all a pleasure to work with. In fact some did take days off to try and allow me, the low guy, to get some work. Unfortunately, there weren't enough of them who wanted to do that.

So, is there a supplement then that allows more than 10% to not have bids??????

Sounds crazy to me.....

I don't know how to answer your question so I'll just try & give my opinion. In 2 months I start my 39th year in the Teamsters, and right up until I read your post yesterday I thought that everyone in the NMFA had a shape job. Kind of like Marlon Brando in "On The Waterfront"

Mikeeee, when he was on here, always talked about "the shape". I figured it was East Coast slang, and still have no idea what it is. Does that mean you are a casual???? Otherwise, according to the contract, there can only be 10% of the Board on call-- at least here in the Central States.

I guess that changed after deregulation. Many locals in the North Jersey area use to have shape halls where the men would shape up ( assemble) in the morning, & each shop steward would call up to the hall with the number of extra drivers that their company would need for that day. But after deregulation helped drive most of the companies out of business, the companies started flooding the lists by hiring extra drivers & the shape halls were no longer needed...Probably because the companies wanted more control over who they
let drive their trucks.

I guess that I am getting off track.... To answer your question, IMO I don't think that it is the supplement that allows more that 10% not to have a bid, but rather that it is the area supplements that put a 10% cap on non bid starts or call ins. In the NY/NJ area supplement, we have neither.... The majority of our work opportunities are on the 8AM shape.

I'm tryin to answer all the Questions

wolleyworlddHi,
how long have you been with the co?
Ok Let me start here, since June of '04 shortly after Redstar closed.

Originally Posted by jimmy g
So, is there a supplement then that allows more than 10% to not have bids??????

Sounds crazy to me.....

On our job, the city bids are as follows
7am.... 5 men
9am.... 5 men
12 noon.... 2men
5pm switch .... 2men
12 mid switch.... 3 men

Now on a very busy day we put 32 to 35 drivers in the city. 12 of which come from "bids" and the res come from the 8am "shape" Which means basicly work is afforded in seniority order untill the rest of the available work is handed out. Being that there 20 men on the shape that means if there are 26 loads for the day, 12 loads are automaticly dispatched to the men that are on bids......so 26 - 12 leaves 14 loads that will be handed out in seniority order @ 8am. Now if the top 14 men take the loads that means 20 - 14 =6 the bottom 6 go home with no work opportunity for the day! Up to 6 senior men can defer or take a "CC" day, which for every deferal it should put 1 more junior man(in seniority order of those walking for the day) to work off of the shape.
One must physically show up and punch his time card or be threatened with getting a letter for absenteesim. Also it is never known untill 8am how many deferals or book offs there will be for the day.
So if there is enough work for 32 men and every one shows , every one works. Enough work for 28 men..... 4 go home unless there are deferals or book offs.
I hope I explained that in a way all can understand.
JimmyG
Mikeeee, when he was on here, always talked about "the shape". I figured it was East Coast slang, and still have no idea what it is. Does that mean you are a casual???? Otherwise, according to the contract, there can only be 10% of the Board on call-- at least here in the Central States.
Not a casual.......Full time on the list since 10/04 at full rate.

I hope that between me and 2631 youse guys have a better understanding of what I am talking about.
Johnny

It sounds like you're giving up more than 10% per the contract to me, but that's just me.....or at least gambling that you get to work for the "privilage" of working 8am.....

For instance, here, we have (numbers are approximate):

4 6am drivers
4 7am drivers
6 or so 8am drivers
6 or so 9am drivers
8 (I think) 10 am drivers
2 11am drivers
2 noon drivers
5 1300 drivers (including me)
2 1600 drivers

plus assorted 25 or so dock starts every 4 hours from midnight thru 2000 (every start day in the book, from Sun-thru to Friday thru), plus up to 26 10% (at the moment we have less-- 4 are laid off)....and 12-15 or so each shift on midnight yard/ 8am yard/ 1600 yard (assorted start days as well)

If we run out of work for driving, drivers go to the dock. Or, CC'd as per Seniority. Currently bid drivers are not allowed to bid off the dock to the yard; (we're 'Locked in to drive' if there's driving work that comes back up-- they are bid in seniority order of the bid men to go back out.)

10% are called to come in to work with a 1 hour call-- starting on the dock(as are casuals) , and bidding out to drive if they are qualified (most here aren't); and if they're needed (normally only happens on Mondays).....

Extra work to drive is bid off the dock.

In So Cali we use to have the same problem as far as missing deliveries and pick up's on a daily basis. One steward informed me that according to the way the bids were set up that only a certain amount of supplemental help can be sent to the street from the dock. Any amount can be replacements for bid men on vacation or sick . I was told if a certain amount of supps were used in a certain time period, they must add another bid time. This makes sense to me as the company would have to abolish the bid if it got slower causing a lot of damage as far as bumping. Instead yellow would literally let the freight sit on the dock or trap trailers until they could get it out on a normal run. I would be forced on the dock as a 10% looking at all this city freight and wonder what I was doing on the dock when I was willing and able to to go deliver the freight. Rules...
Also we didn't have any "shape" whatever you call it. The only way we could work is waiting for a work call on your first available shift.

If i may.....
Here in the east, on a breakbulk operation
(7 days 24 hrs) 75% must be guaranteed bids. Unless mutually agreed upon in writing by the local and the company. Furtermore,if the company wants to set up a seperate breakbulk, and wants to merge city p/u and delivery into that break the company and the Local must mutually agree. If there is no agreement the appropriate grievance procedure will apply. So find out if there is such a mutual agreement IN WRITING, if there is no such agreement file the appropriate grievance.
Hope this helps
Remember this is a breakbulk article and does not pertain to the city operation unless as stated above ( the combination of city and breakbulk)

It sounds like you're giving up more than 10% per the contract to me, but that's just me.....or at least gambling that you get to work for the "privilage" of working 8am.....

jimmy g, my head is still spinning from reading your post. It is way too complicated for me to figure out, so i'll just respond to the 1st part.

IMO it is your suppliment that gives you the 10% cap. I don't think that it is in the NMFA. Now I can be wrong on this but i'm guessing that it applies only in some area suppliments.