Just to break the ice

membersonly

TB Lurker
Credits
I just wanted to post something to break the tension. I grew up on a 23 and 25 series Freightliner. This was a Roadway version. CF had many set back axles like these as well. Iam not sure if the Big R s had a Detroit or not but at PIE we had Cats with a 9 speed. I dont think ABF had a long nose Freightliner back then. Anyway just a thought drivers of 6 ft Francis antennas and radio boxes.

I just wanted to post something to break the tension. I grew up on a 23 and 25 series Freightliner. This was a Roadway version. CF had many set back axles like these as well. Iam not sure if the Big R s had a Detroit or not but at PIE we had Cats with a 9 speed. I dont think ABF had a long nose Freightliner back then. Anyway just a thought drivers of 6 ft Francis antennas and radio boxes.
You are correct. ABF did have a fleet of cabover Freightliners one year with Cummins power, I will have to think to remember what year, (80's) but no conventional cab Freightliners back then. Also, none of the companies ABF acquired had conventional cab Freightliners.

I don't know about that. But I will say those last pictures of the PIE set and the Roadway set fired me up! Made me want to get right out there again! For about 5 seconds!
FC, we had a great crew at PIE, Spring Valley. Even the managers there were OK. One of the best work environments I've experienced. Almost looked forward to going in every day. 👍

FC, we had a great crew at PIE, Spring Valley. Even the managers there were OK. One of the best work environments I've experienced. Almost looked forward to going in every day. 👍
Few and far between as we know. Had a friend who worked for ABF up there. I think they shared a dock but not quite sure. He also was a pretty happy camper there. Circa 89, 90

PS - Of course some of my residential deliveries to high end homes with bored housewives in Northern Bergen County may have had something to do with my feeling that way. 😁

We also had Cummins in the 23 and 25 series, plus like Roady mentioned, the most handsome drivers.

Seems like the only thing missing was a visit from yours truly.
How many horseys did these units have did anything change between 23 and the 25's?
Cummins were 300, I always heard the 3406 Cats were set at 290, I know some were much stronger.
The red Brigadiers from the left coast ran 72 and pulled uphill about the same, they were Cats.