K2 Restriction

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Any one know anything about these and how they work. When I first went to get my CDL I had a K2 restriction, I got a stronger prescription for my glasses and got the restriction removed and all that jazz.

Anyhow my question is, say you have one, how does that work with your medical card is there some kind of paper work you fill out and give to the doctor so you can get your medical card?

Also at the same time I know that you can have a K2 restriction waived like if you have 2 years of driving with no accidents the DOT then removes the restriction. Can you guys clarify how this all works.

It's an eye sight thing, it's goofy and in my opinion makes no sense, but what it, is is say your like me and with both eyes open you can see just fine 20/20 and with my right eye I can see 20/20 as well, my left eye well I'm very near sighted in my left eye and the big E on the top of the eye chart is the best I can do with my left eye.

The DOT gave me a K2 saying that I could only do intrastate driving. Makes no sense what's the difference between I-90 in Ohio and I-90 in Washington State? So what it is, is a sight restriction saying you can only drive a CMV in the state.

Right now I don't have the restriction I switched eye doctors and they upped the horsepower on my left eye glasses and the only restriction I have is a must wear corrective lenses restriction.

For where I work it really wouldn't matter I don't go out of state anyhow, but I'm wondering how all that works at medical card time.

i'm only thinking that you may have to get an eye test every so often..???

i mean, the normal DOT physical is every 2 years.

some people with high BP but are on meds, may get only a 1 year card, some may only get 6 month card.

same with type II diabetics. they are limited to a time for the next DOT physical.

as long as your eye doctor uses the latest eye exam computer machines, and gets precise reading from them, i think that 20/40 is passable.

the only "restrictions" that i have seen, here in my state, is that a restriction means, :"must be wearing glasses when driving"..

get caught driving with out glasses, and you get a ticket....(here)

That does help, it sounds like I just need to get a variance form from the state. It's not a problem right now my medical card is good for another year so I'm good on that, however what was scary was when I first got into this the one doctor I went to said, "I can't help you." In regards to my left eye, but he referred me to another doctor and he was the one who got it right, the whole thing was very screwy to me, but whatever.