ABF | Layoff question

Madtrucker72

TB Lurker
Credits
I've applied and am thinking of coming to ABF as a city driver from another large carrier. My question is I hear that ABF likes to layoff every winter. Is this true at most barns? Thanks for any responses.

I've applied and am thinking of coming to ABF as a city driver from another large carrier. My question is I hear that ABF likes to layoff every winter. Is this true at most barns? Thanks for any responses.
I don’t know about the other locations, but here at North Little Rock, we have not had a layoff in the city/dock classification in over ten years. That being said, if we end up in another recession because of this Russia thing, there will be layoffs at a lot of the terminals and not just ABF. I don’t know if you were in the freight business back in 2008-2009 recession, but that thing got ugly everywhere.

I don’t know about the other locations, but here at North Little Rock, we have not had a layoff in the city/dock classification in over ten years. That being said, if we end up in another recession because of this Russia thing, there will be layoffs at a lot of the terminals and not just ABF. I don’t know if you were in the freight business back in 2008-2009 recession, but that thing got ugly everywhere.
Northeast can’t find enough drivers, working guys 6-7 days a week & missing pick ups like crazy….

My partner and I were in Columbus today, and we heard they are laying off some new hires?

I hired in in 1998 (050 Indy). I remember very well the lay offs. I did get lucky in finding other work both times. The last time they wanted to bring me back for Friday & Monday. I said bring me back for the full week not 2 days. I got lucky & they returned me full time 2 days later with a letter. Jeff Kenny (050 OPS manager) brought me back. I liked Jeff. I had a few issues with him. But, I really respected him. A very smart man & could walk in to the dispatch room & take over like he had been doing it all day. I think he knew the LTL freight business than anyone else. 26 years with ABF & they perp walked him out the door. After the new manager was installed. He did get his retiremant. Went to work for Fed X & never looked back.von.

I hired in in 1998 (050 Indy). I remember very well the lay offs. I did get lucky in finding other work both times. The last time they wanted to bring me back for Friday & Monday. I said bring me back for the full week not 2 days. I got lucky & they returned me full time 2 days later with a letter. Jeff Kenny (050 OPS manager) brought me back. I liked Jeff. I had a few issues with him. But, I really respected him. A very smart man & could walk in to the dispatch room & take over like he had been doing it all day. I think he knew the LTL freight business than anyone else. 26 years with ABF & they perp walked him out the door. After the new manager was installed. He did get his retiremant. Went to work for Fed X & never looked back.von.
They did that to my first manager here....he said some derogatory comments in an email to someone about his boss and they canned him....hard worker, put in at least ten hours every day and went out on sale calls a lot....best salesman I have ever seen...all the customers loved him...the drivers respected him, we filed very few grievances.....I ran into him a couple times and he says he doesn't miss all the micromanaging of the last couple years he was there....now all they hire are worthless youngsters who dont want to work 8 hours, and the closest they have ever gotten to a truck is a couple years prior when they played with Tonka Trucks....

hard worker, put in at least ten hours every day and went out on sale calls a lot....best salesman I have ever seen...all the customers loved him...the drivers respected him
And that’s why he’s not here….The people they hired over the last 5 to 10 years not freight people or people, people for that matter. The waste I see on a daily basis would make you sick….The O.R would be in the low 80’s if anyone cared anymore.

And that’s why he’s not here….The people they hired over the last 5 to 10 years not freight people or people, people for that matter. The waste I see on a daily basis would make you sick….The O.R would be in the low 80’s if anyone cared anymore.
I think they mostly hire Industrial Engineers from the University of Arkansas. Glad I am retired or I could teach those young chaps something,,,

Arkansas Industrial Engineers?????! You mean the guys who determine how many blocks are required to support a Vega on your front lawn????……. :438::poke::hide:
Lawn???? What Lawn???? SOR's family compound has no lawn to speak of with all his broken down cars and non working appliances
...plus I heard Bertha and Puddin pitched a tent (more like a circus big top) and that takes up most of the property....

Arkansas Industrial Engineers?????! You mean the guys who determine how many blocks are required to support a Vega on your front lawn????……. :438::poke::hide:
my old "Pinto" does not require ANY blocks...just let the rusted axles rest straight on the ground...just a difference is how the Ford Pinto has the superior engineering to the Chevy Vega ! Maybe they taught that in the engineering studies at the University of Arkansas? I told you that I could teach the youngsters something...

my old "Pinto" does not require ANY blocks...just let the rusted axles rest straight on the ground...just a difference is how the Ford Pinto has the superior engineering to the Chevy Vega ! Maybe they taught that in the engineering studies at the University of Arkansas? I told you that I could teach the youngsters something...
Apparently they didn’t teach gas tank safety though……:tr10driving03: