ODFL | LayOffs In Indy

lilbit814

TB Lurker
Credits
My husband worked on the dock for OD for five years..... and just last week they told him not to worry about layoffs. But today he went in to work thinking that he was gonna rebid only to hear.... well due to the slow economy that they had to let him go...... Permanent lay off.

Wow five years on the dock and they let him go? All of the other guys below him are gone too? Hope he's able to get on his feet again soon. I think right now it's getting closer to the point where it's harder to juggle everyone's hours with the way freight has been so we'll be seeing more layoffs.

As far as I know my hubby was the only one on nights to go but rumor has it that 6 on days went as well...... but all the new guys are still there. Seems they are targeting veterans cause they are paid more..... "better business".

As far as I know my hubby was the only one on nights to go but rumor has it that 6 on days went as well...... but all the new guys are still there. Seems they are targeting veterans cause they are paid more..... "better business".

i believe that is happenning every where seniority don't mean crap anymore

I've noticed that this has been the perfect time for terminals to get rid of the dead weight. If you think you're safe just because of your position on the list but not performing work up to company standards, dont be surprised when the axe falls. Right now is not the time to be goofing off and stealing time on the company clock.

Perhaps your hubby wasn't being quite honest with you. He didn't get laid off, he was fired. With the economy the way it is all companies are looking to cut labor. You can illafford to make one wrong move. OD is not laying off, they are getting rid of dead weight. Go to work every day and do what you're paid for and you'll keep your job. It amazes me how some people, with the economy as bad as it is, jerk around all day long and think they will keep their job. Way to go OD, keep the ones who bust their tails and get rid of the bums (GOOD BUSINESS)

unfortunately all managers do not get rid of the dead weight.some keep their favorites no matter what their production is.

Perhaps your hubby wasn't being quite honest with you. He didn't get laid off, he was fired. With the economy the way it is all companies are looking to cut labor. You can illafford to make one wrong move. OD is not laying off, they are getting rid of dead weight. Go to work every day and do what you're paid for and you'll keep your job. It amazes me how some people, with the economy as bad as it is, jerk around all day long and think they will keep their job. Way to go OD, keep the ones who bust their tails and get rid of the bums (GOOD BUSINESS)
I don't know the Dockworker in Indy and I doubt if you do too.as said in a previous post maybe the super has favorites that he wants to keep.BEST OF LUCK TO ALL WHO ARE LAID OFF.

What a thing to say to a wife who's husband just got laid off after 5 years. But your are right about one thing they are trying their best to keep the ones that bust their tails and also guys like you a :butt kiss:

Seniority don't mean nothing in a non-u barn but it should.It's just one more example how some companies abuse their work force.You guys better hope to god YRC and the rest of the unionized carriers don't go down.You'll be reduced to $12.00 an hour at best.

i don't believe YRC is going anywhere.they are making money but with the credit crunch they cannot borrow the money they normally use on a short term basis .it would not really be a problem but with YRC being as large as it is,they require larger amounts of money.

I don't want to be the bad guy here, I'm just telling the truth. Everyone wants to know the truth, right? That's what I',m doing. Someone coming on this board and falslely accusing OD of lay-offs and raising everyones fears and concerns is not right! Is there such a thing as "permanent lay-off"? Look up the definition of lay-off. He was permanantly fired, not permanently layed off.

I don't want to be the bad guy here, I'm just telling the truth. Everyone wants to know the truth, right? That's what I',m doing. Someone coming on this board and falslely accusing OD of lay-offs and raising everyones fears and concerns is not right! Is there such a thing as "permanent lay-off"? Look up the definition of lay-off. He was permanantly fired, not permanently layed off.

I've not got anything against the truth once in a while I tell it myself.There's ways to say things and ways not to and still make your point.These are hard times and it may be considerate not to talk to a man out of work in such a harsh way.If you lose your job there's not much of anywhere else to go and nobody knows WHO will be next or when it will come.There's no security anywhere.