layoffs

Credits
Last month, Oct, OR was around 140 so they are laying off about 40% all the way around. They are averaging around 2300 to 2600 bills every day compared to around 4200 to 4700 bills from last year.

They are hoping to outlast another carrier that has it's logos on a NASCAR that might be on it's way out of Western US but if they don't...

What's funny is AUB is keeping ALL of its supervisors/managers. At least in LA and other places, there is some sups that are now going to be drivers and such but AUB is pretty much laying off the drivers/docks instead of any of their sups or managers. Writing is on the wall for BH but they reallly need to shut down AUB and start from stratch.

BUT this has more to do with the economy than the strike. They have a lot of the customers back from before and they are getting more back everyday. The biggest reason they are getting them back is due to LACK of ambulatory pickets. You might want to check on those that say they are following drivers and make sure they are. Both AUB and POR has around 5% of the drivers being followed. REI is thinking about coming back because of this very reason.
Gap is staying unless something major happens as OHFL is providing the service they need.

Most of customers that are coming back do not have the business level that they had before so even if the strike was over today, there would be probably over 60% layoffs.

This sounds like great news, but how much of the reason for the layoffs is the strike and how much is the ecomony, ya think?

How much is the fault of Oak Harbors upper managements
greed and lack of abilty to run their company?
I'm sure the economy and the strike have alot to
do with this, but I have seen management quality
go down for over 5 years and :butt kiss:ers getting
promoted into positions they never should've been in.

140% OR, other companies are doing lay offs but are still operating at 90-93 OR. Maybe hiring the goon squad and all of the S**** (replacement drivers) haven't paid off so well.

I just read this on another forum: 9 guys including me just got stripped of their full time status and have to be part timers... either that or get layed off... on top of that i lost my position and have to work the dock unless i take the lay off... this is from a dispatcher who posted in a forum for motorcycle enthusiastists. He goes on to post: Originally Posted by EXILER i work at a freight company called Oak Harbor freight lines. as a dispatcher... or was a dispatcher... now i either take a lay off or go back to the dock and load trailers driving forklifts... Oh wait there is more: they said its will probally be for about 4 months... but probally more...
yeah they are letting all part timers on the dock go and stripping 9 peeps of their full time status and benifits...
Somebody tells him that most freight companies get real busy because of the holidays coming and that with the economy that seems to be the story now.
not really... this company has been on a decline since the union members up in washington went on strike... those basterds ****** us all... i dont think we'll be able to pull out of this one... if we dont sink now it probally be in the near future.

Well you know about dispatchers, No Brains, No Headaches. Since he didn't have the brains ... Not like they were not warned.

I guess I am safe from his rath however. He didn't mention anything about the Oregon Teamsters.:biglaugh:

Ed, The wooden shoes have dry rot.

I have seen several posts on other boards where management employees are crying the blues because either they take dock/driving jobs at part time or be layed off. I guess most of the ***** are being sent home or only working part time with no benefits. Great place to work huh!!!!

Hey Fat chick... you are the ugliest mongrel on the line. Such a know it all scumbag. STD pig! Enjoying your Thanksgiving on the line and no check stupid?

You will be the piglet with the drumstick in your snout.

I'll honk stupid on Thursday!

Better get a new family...the union part is long gone just like your job piggy!

Bye Bye fatso.

How much is the fault of Oak Harbors upper managements
greed and lack of abilty to run their company?
I'm sure the economy and the strike have alot to
do with this, but I have seen management quality
go down for over 5 years and :butt kiss:ers getting
promoted into positions they never should've been in.

I think you have to look at each terminal, Aub, "promoting" BH from EVE was probably a big mistake. They should have gone with someone with a bit bigger terminal exp than EVE. The office manager wasn't a great hit either, but than guess who hired her??? BH can't even do the layoffs right, keeping what 4-5 "ops managers" and laying off 10 drivers???!!! There will probably be one sup per driver/dock worker at the rate he is going. They really need to clean house in AUB ASAP but who is going to do it???!!!

POR, Office manager has been there for a while and she is good and they got lucky with the TM as he is pretty good. You'll have someone always pick on something but he is pretty good.

The layoff are probably 70/30 economy/strike. Without the strike, there would have been layoffs but with the strike the layoffs are bigger. They lost $4 mill last month and my guess is they are pretty close to that this month. Dec should be better as they layoff 40% of the people. Among other things, if that one carrier shuts down their west coast ops, OHFL should be able to pick up some business, otherwise, OHFL will just be a smaller non-union carrier.

Just asking I would guess the strike is the bigger aspect
70/30 strike economy but doubt if OHFL can successfully downsize . I can't think of anybody who has done it and survived. We don't exactly have a big pool of management talent here.The reputation of Oak is important but all the lies
about the strike and associated problems have blown their credibility with many customers. In essence turning them into just a shiny Express or Titan . Big discount bottom feeder. Sorry but I don't see a happy ending for OHFL

Awww... us bad ol' Teamsters...

I just love dimwits like this guy. Let's just point our fingers at the VICTIMS and lay the blame on them. Well... we tried to warn management and our non-union fellow employees what would happen if we went out on strike, and our predictions came true.

I don't think we have one bloody thing to apologize for. We have done what had to do, and if anyone wants to pint fingers of blame, I suggest they drive up to the Glass Palace and ask for David or Ed VP, and start there.

As to the economy versus the strike... keep believing it. The economy certainly plays a role in all of this, but Gap is gone after the holidays, and REI is not coming back. A few of the retailers like Sally Beauty have come back, but we have plans to deal with them, and they will not like what is in store for them, I can assure you.

Dave and Ed are running out of time... they had better start bargaining in good faith towards an agreement, or this baby is done. Even the government can see through their rather thin and feeble facade of BS, and are telling them that they better start adhering to the law, before they no longer have a company.

As to the whining non-union employees out there (not all non-union employees... I know there are many out there who support us)... blame the union if you want. You all have rode our coat-tails for years, and now your whining about what is happening is falling on deaf ears. Had you all signed card and joined the union, I doubt we would be going through this right now. The company has been trying to play divide and conquer for a long time, and you all played right along. Greed and self-centeredness is all it was.

"I get all of the goodies you union guys get, but I don't have to pay union dues to get it". How many times have I heard that from non-union country?

Well, now it's time to pay the fiddler, and you all just want to whine how us union types are screwing up your Christmas?

Really?

Here's the worlds smallest violin playing a sad tune for you whiners. Meanwhile, those of us who are willing to stand up and fight for our principles will carry on regardless of how bad it gets.

We will never, EVER, give up. Not until we get a decent agreement or this company is dust in the wind.

You can take THAT to the bank...!

VanderFools

AMEN......Brother !!!!!
And time is running out quickly for the Vanderfools.

Now thats funny.... Can I use that one? VanderFools:hysterical: Please tell all your BA's that it is super seniority for all the Guys on the picket lines. They earned it. Thanks The Kidd

:1036316054: