FedEx Freight | Layoffs

FXFE has not had any layoff's in recent memory, but I think with the slowdown of freight in the ltl sector, and given the amount of new driver's fed ex freight has hired we may see a few layoff's

Dallas has told some drivers to go home when they report for their shift. The reason, no work
Dallas is also asking the remaing drivers to hustle at least two extra shipments
when they are doing pick ups.

I have been at FedEx for a short while and although city was slow for about 4 months during winter and we got about 5 hours a day there were no layoffs. Line haul seemed to slow to 8-10 hours. No layoffs there. just some thoughts

Why hire drivers in Atlanta

It took me 3 weeks to get back to work, so why would ATL hire drivers. Every one there signed up for unemployment. We all sat, and now I'm out will stay away from there, tell I start to fall apart. Lots of work once we get out.:tongue0015:

There may not be layoffs but they have been asking for volunteers to take the day off at our place. If they do not get enough they start at the bottom of the list. They get on us about any O/T also.
Talked with other drivers from ABF, New England they are slow. New England sent their bottom 20 home til March. Hope business picks up in the next few weeks

upset in cinci

There may not be layoffs but they have been asking for volunteers to take the day off at our place. If they do not get enough they start at the bottom of the list. They get on us about any O/T also.
Talked with other drivers from ABF, New England they are slow. New England sent their bottom 20 home til March. Hope business picks up in the next few weeks
Well, it's the end of April and business is still slow. Slower than ever. Cincinnati dock doing forced DTO's for bottom 10 or 12 people for the next 3 to 5 weeks. Hope I can go back to work by the time I get my first unemployment check! :nutkick:

Well, it's the end of April and business is still slow. Slower than ever. Cincinnati dock doing forced DTO's for bottom 10 or 12 people for the next 3 to 5 weeks. Hope I can go back to work by the time I get my first unemployment check! :nutkick:

IF you are looking at changing jobs call Pitt-Ohio there in Cin they are looking for Drivers and dock. The pay may not be as good as FedEx but the bull is not as bad.PITT OHIO EXPRESS Online - Home under career center and follow the directions

Well, i would imagine the benefits / discounts will all start coming your way here shortly. The Corporate Discount page is loaded with them - rental cars, hotels, wireless providers, car manufacturers, 75% off of your FedEx shipping (Express / Ground), 30% off anything at FedEx Kinko's - etc etc etc. I've been with Freight for 2 1/2 years and with Custom Critical for 6 months now and i love it. At Freight i worked inbound and / or outbound dock, facilities maintenance and then got my CDL and was a Supplemental Driver for the P&D and Linehaul operations. Only time i was in the truck was when no other city drivers wanted to be - i was never worked in the truck over a full time driver. At Custom Critical - im in the offices now setting up runs and ill be dispatching here in January. This place is a whole other world. We are actually sending more freight every day into the LTL lane's when we run out of trucks across the country. Of course, we are always looking for good Tractor operators who either want to own their own or drive for a fleet - so if you dont like the LTL world and never want to touch a dock or freight - then by all means, come on over - if not - keep your job where you are at and just watch - its all coming around.

Rob
:1036316054: Military thanks for an intellegent response!!!First,I am not a bitter Watkins/FNL employee,just a realist.I am not sure how many stockholders FedEx has,but whatever the number is,they are the priority in the decision making process!Does that statement make me bitter???NO!I have worked in a numbers enviroment before,and as a "redshirt" I am anything but thrilled with the future.However,I am rolling with the punches,praying for a pot o gold at the end of the rainbow :1036316054: .I believe better days are to come,I am just not sure who at FNL will be around to see them.

where has the freight gone?

Got a total of 25 hours this week. Lucky to be allowed 4 working days. Dallas, one of the biggest local p&d coverage areas in the system. Mgmt keeps saying everyone is slow and not to listen to drivers for the competition when they claim they are, B@lls to the W@ll. But I keep seeing the competitions drivers who are shot on friday from the 12 and 14 hour days all week. They say believe it we are BUSY. Con Way, Overnite, AAA Cooper, Estes, Central. What the h#ll is going on? Where has our business gone? Fed ex Freight? Or to all of these other LTL companies who realize good old Watkins is gone and the shippers do not want to embrace the faceless Fed Ex mega corporation "press one to see if we want to pick up your freight". A cold sterile enviorment where it is the shippers privilege to have Fed Ex show up at their dock, they never see the same driver twice, or often enough for the driver to remember their name. Fed Ex National sales people must really be under tremendous pressure these days. I know the economy has slowed down some, but this is rediculous. :ranting2:

peddle? or meddle?

No. The few that still have a route often get DTO so they do not get O.T. Most routes are being broken up so the other drivers will have something to do, or the route driver punches in and the trailer is not closed, he can not be sitting around or dispatch will be in trouble, so the guy is given whatever is available, and the route goes to the guy punching in after it is closed. Have not run my old route more than 5 times in 4 months, I ask my old stops if they have a regular driver, and they all say it is pretty much somebody different each time.

so i take it that the powers to be at fedex told that driver what their plans are? I doubt it.
As a fedex freight driver I can a sure you they dont tell as anything as it happens. We find out about things after they happen if we ask about them, if we don't ask they don't say a word. We once asked one of our officers about a new center being built and we were told it was at least 3 years away from ground breaking. You should have seen the look on his face when one of our guys pulled out newspaper showing the completed building. Fedex is just another freight line that can't be trusted.

No. The few that still have a route often get DTO so they do not get O.T. Most routes are being broken up so the other drivers will have something to do, or the route driver punches in and the trailer is not closed, he can not be sitting around or dispatch will be in trouble, so the guy is given whatever is available, and the route goes to the guy punching in after it is closed. Have not run my old route more than 5 times in 4 months, I ask my old stops if they have a regular driver, and they all say it is pretty much somebody different each time.

Ahhh, your city guys don't work the dock I take it?

Been 4 years since I was in the city but I would work the dock loading mine and 1 other route (sometimes more) the way they needed to be for delivery. Saves valuable time on the street. We might have changed also since it has been 4 years.

FM

Been 4 years since I was in the city but I would work the dock loading mine and 1 other route (sometimes more) the way they needed to be for delivery. Saves valuable time on the street. We might have changed also since it has been 4 years.

FM

Fm, bottom P&D guys at our barn work the dock I just assumed all terminals, sorry service centers did the same.

Sorry Bear... I thought you were with FNL.

I am a Contractor with FNL Linehaul.

I cant really say how much P&D works (if any) on the docks. We have different facilities at the break-bulks.
Linehaul: Drive Only
Hub Drivers: Get Their Route Mi + Hours on the Dock at Hub every night.
Combos: Are combination Freight Handlers / Drivers.

I think to many people have been getting to excited from day one.
Some regions are desperately short of equipment due to the loss of P&D Contractors
We are recycling old equipment from Freight for P&D because their is no way to order new equipment at this time from any manufacture without taking 2008 trucks with the new 2007 EPA Engines.
These engines would cost $7,000 more to purchase, get worse fuel mileage, have higher maintenance cost, and require us to switch over to ULSD fuel that cost $0.10 more per gal.

When FNL got rid of city OO most of the west coast terminals lost a huge chunk of their drivers. Terminals in southern California took a big loss especially. When they couldn't pick up as much freight anymore due to the driver shortage a lot of national accounts stopped shipping with FNL so on top of the overall industry slow down you had huge national accounts jumping shift because we couldn't service them. Watkins bread and butter was always electronics and every major electronics company has a warehouse in southern cal. Little by little you are starting to see them come back. Everyone keeps saying it will pick up by May. I think more like mid June or July more realistically. A perfect example is Ingram Micro. This was a big account for Watkins but an even bigger one for Fedex Freight. The account pretty much dropped off 75% around the buyout. Now it's piling into Harrisburg.

FM

We do not have enough work for the dock guys to get any hours. They will not let us drivers near the dock, except to fix our load/route, and to get a pallet jack and a two wheeler.

Got a total of 25 hours this week. Lucky to be allowed 4 working days. Dallas, one of the biggest local p&d coverage areas in the system. Mgmt keeps saying everyone is slow and not to listen to drivers for the competition when they claim they are, B@lls to the W@ll. But I keep seeing the competitions drivers who are shot on friday from the 12 and 14 hour days all week. They say believe it we are BUSY. Con Way, Overnite, AAA Cooper, Estes, Central. What the h#ll is going on? Where has our business gone? Fed ex Freight? Or to all of these other LTL companies who realize good old Watkins is gone and the shippers do not want to embrace the faceless Fed Ex mega corporation "press one to see if we want to pick up your freight". A cold sterile enviorment where it is the shippers privilege to have Fed Ex show up at their dock, they never see the same driver twice, or often enough for the driver to remember their name. Fed Ex National sales people must really be under tremendous pressure these days. I know the economy has slowed down some, but this is rediculous. :ranting2:
I totally agree. This is crazy!!! I see plenty of the FXFE trailers around, don't ever see FXNL/WATKINS trailers. ABout a 20/1 ratio.