XPO | Lean Six Sigma

Rat

TB Veteran
Credits
Down to serious business...

What I propose here are some sugggestions for the Lean Six Sigma program recently implemented by Con-Way. When we have a number of viable suggestions we forward these ideas to whomever will be the team leader.

This is your company and its where you make your living. It is the source of your livelihood and hopefully where we will be for the long haul.

Con-Way has implemented some sweeping (and oft times painful) changes in the last six months battling the current economic environment. These changes will most likely continue. It is time for everyone to step up to the plate and think of things to help continue the process. If we come up with good ideas we may circumvent the implementation of some very bad ideas.

To do this correctly we should set some ground rules for the common good of the thread (these are suggestions I have and welcome any others as well).

1. Forget the race truck. There is no use of beating this horse here. John L. made it quite clear in the video they are content with the returns on the investment...so that point is moot.

2. No bashing of the management whether in the corporate offices or on the local level. Each locale operates somewhat differently. If there are things you would like to see changed at your SC or FAC then the local SCM would be the place to make those suggestions. Your SCM is the person responsible for their location. He or she is the person that will ultimately make any decisions to facilitate efficiency in the realm of their domain.

3. No generalizing of the company's percieved attitude towards its members. If you agree or disagree with certain policies there are other threads for those posts. If you can't find one...then start one and trust me on this!!!...the Rat will be there.

What we need here are genuine cost saving ideas that can be implemented across the board company wide. We need ideas which every location can implement.

I will start the ball rolling with these suggestions...

1. Eliminate all company vehicles except those used by the AEs and the Safety dept. We are providing company vehicles for some who just drive to and from work. They can use their personal vehicles for this.

2. Eliminate any tractors older than the 2000 models. Especially the 94-96 432s and 480s. From what I have seen the maintenance costs to keep these tractors in service has to outweigh the cost benefit.

3. Make direct deposit company wide. This eliminates the costs associated with printing checks. Make all check stubs and W2's available only through portal access thus eliminating printing costs. If a person is no longer employed by Con-Way then allow them to go to any Con-Way facility for a print out of their tax forms.

4. Put the MileMarker on DVD only. This eliminates the cost of printing. Also make it available of the portal. Distribute the DVDs at the local level thus eliminating postage costs.

5. Relocate the SC phone numbers on the DRs. Too many times have I seen another page of a DR printed just to display the contact information.

One last idea...

If the handhelds are all they are said to be (and I don't know as I haven't used one as yet) bite the bullet and utilize them ASAP. While the initial capital expenditure may seem to be prohibitive at present...would the cost/benefit override the monies spent? If they eliminate bottlenecks in the system and make out operation more efficient...now may be the time!!! The potential savings may very well justify such a move.

I know you will have other (and perhaps better) ideas..lets hear 'em...your turn!!!

Rat :loser:

What I propose here are some sugggestions for the Lean Six Sigma program recently implemented by Con-Way. When we have a number of viable suggestions we forward these ideas to whomever will be the team leader.

This is your company and its where you make your living. It is the source of your livelihood and hopefully where we will be for the long haul.

Con-Way has implemented some sweeping (and oft times painful) changes in the last six months battling the current economic environment. These changes will most likely continue. It is time for everyone to step up to the plate and think of things to help continue the process. If we come up with good ideas we may circumvent the implementation of some very bad ideas.

To do this correctly we should set some ground rules for the common good of the thread (these are suggestions I have and welcome any others as well).

1. Forget the race truck. There is no use of beating this horse here. John L. made it quite clear in the video they are content with the returns on the investment...so that point is moot.

2. No bashing of the management whether in the corporate offices or on the local level. Each locale operates somewhat differently. If there are things you would like to see changed at your SC or FAC then the local SCM would be the place to make those suggestions. Your SCM is the person responsible for their location. He or she is the person that will ultimately make any decisions to facilitate efficiency in the realm of their domain.

3. No generalizing of the company's percieved attitude towards its members. If you agree or disagree with certain policies there are other threads for those posts. If you can't find one...then start one and trust me on this!!!...the Rat will be there.

What we need here are genuine cost saving ideas that can be implemented across the board company wide. We need ideas which every location can implement.

1. Eliminate all company vehicles except those used by the AEs and the Safety dept. We are providing company vehicles for some who just drive to and from work. They can use their personal vehicles for this.

2. Eliminate any tractors older than the 2000 models. Especially the 94-96 432s and 480s. From what I have seen the maintenance costs to keep these tractors in service has to outweigh the cost benefit.

3. Make direct deposit company wide. This eliminates the costs associated with printing checks. Make all check stubs and W2's available only through portal access thus eliminating printing costs. If a person is no longer employed by Con-Way then allow them to go to any Con-Way facility for a print out of their tax forms.

4. Put the MileMarker on DVD only. This eliminates the cost of printing. Also make it available of the portal. Distribute the DVDs at the local level thus eliminating postage costs.

5. Relocate the SC phone numbers on the DRs. Too many times have I seen another page of a DR printed just to display the contact information.

One last idea...

If the handhelds are all they are said to be (and I don't know as I haven't used one as yet) bite the bullet and utilize them ASAP. While the initial capital expenditure may seem to be prohibitive at present...would the cost/benefit override the monies spent? If they eliminate bottlenecks in the system and make out operation more efficient...now may be the time!!! The potential savings may very well justify such a move.

I know you will have other (and perhaps better) ideas..lets hear 'em...your turn!!!

I agree with you on this. I know I have been complaining for a while about company cars. It may not be so bad if they used them just for work, but they use them to go to Wal-mart and everywhere else. We would save a baot load on this. Wouldn't have to pay for the lease, gas, insurence and up keep of these cars. I do disagree with one of your points. (hope this is not the wrong place for it) We are one company, and should all have the same rules. You can not have one barn running under different rules than another. There has to be uniformity with all the terminals.

I do disagree with one of your points. (hope this is not the wrong place for it) We are one company, and should all have the same rules. You can not have one barn running under different rules than another. There has to be uniformity with all the terminals.

I agree with you 100%...there should be uniformity across the board...getting it to happen is something else...I was just stating the obvious.

I agree with you on this. I know I have been complaining for a while about company cars. It may not be so bad if they used them just for work, but they use them to go to Wal-mart and everywhere else. We would save a baot load on this. Wouldn't have to pay for the lease, gas, insurence and up keep of these cars. I do disagree with one of your points. (hope this is not the wrong place for it) We are one company, and should all have the same rules. You can not have one barn running under different rules than another. There has to be uniformity with all the terminals.

The cars are not totally free. It has been covered here before. They(the driver) pay for the insurance. You can only get a company vehicle if you are insurable and the insurance comes out of their check. A/E's can not buy gas on a mon or a friday with the company card as well as the rest of whoever has em.

The cars are not totally free. It has been covered here before. They(the driver) pay for the insurance. You can only get a company vehicle if you are insurable and the insurance comes out of their check. A/E's can not buy gas on a mon or a friday with the company card as well as the rest of whoever has em.

Thanx...I did not know these things. Nonetheless there are still costs involved. How many terminal do we have? How many SCMs have company provided vehicles to drive to and from work? Insurance costs would seem mighty cheap compared to providing your own vehicle, gas, and depreciation. The RMs have vehicles as well...last barn I was assigned to saw the RM maybe three times a year...pay 'em mileage and save some costs. This is what the Lean Six Sigma program is all about. Eliminating or reducing exessive costs.

One last idea...

Well said for the most part i would say that point #2 is wrong. IT WILL ALWAYS BE CHEAPER TO FIX, REPAIR, INSURE ETC. AN OLDER TRACTOR.
Communication videos should be online. Uploaded by corporate and viewed by computer monitor.
Eliminate all the paper this company waste.
Class four and five terminals do not need a TM. Eliminate there jobs or transfer them to a bigger class terminal in another usefull department.

One last idea...

1. Agreed...When and if it begins to be a loser, John will dump it...If you guys knew John well, you would already know that...
2. No bashing, agreed, but: all SCMs need to be required to have their doors wide open at all applicable times and listen to what the troops have to say...When the door closes, that's when the bashing seems to begin...
3.You can't stop some folks, these are the same people that complain about the taxes you have pay for winning the lotto...unrealistic rule...

1. The more cars you lease, the cheaper the program...I pay for my gas (except when on company business, i.e., sales calls, entertainments, weekend work) and have to itemize on my expense reports why I have company gas expenses...I also, as do all company car drivers, pay over 1,000.00 a year after tax deduction for insurance premiums, not deductable...The fleet maintenance costs are built into the original lease agreements and cars have to be serviced every 7500 miles...All company car drivers pay a one time premium each October in the form of additional income added to our earnings for the use of the company car...We have to pay taxes on that as well..
2. Rage is right on this, and I will only support what he said...like it or not, and as an SCM, I don't like it...But I live with it..
3.The company has been trying for 9 years to get everyone on direct deposit, and 95% of the company is on it..you cannot legally force someone on it...there are some who don't (can't) have checking accounts and/or savings accounts...some of these are the same people who don't trust banks and keep their money in their mattress or various places around the house...
About every 3 months, SCMs receive a list of employees still not on it, and we go out and try to get them on it..I have been successful about 20% of the time on this...
4. Can you say FRISBEE..?? Most won't bother watching it, the same who don't read what is sent...these are the same people, however, that if we stopped the communications meetings would be railing about how the company won't communicate with them...can't win for losing with this one..
5. I agree, list them first in the body of the bill, or in a separate box up top..we waste too much DR paper..

The handhelds have to be delayed to protect cash reserves right now...the initial start up and training costs are too risky in an economy that no one can predict month to month right now....As much as I would love to see them, keeping us all employed should be our first priority..When the time is right, we will see them..

One last idea...

How about making "MileMarker" a downloadable PDF? Then you could view it online or print it if you wanted to read it somewhere besides your computer.

Make the Monday morning meetings a video podcast that could be downloaded and viewed at home? Using iTunes it could set up to automatically download each week to your computer.

BH

How about making "MileMarker" a downloadable PDF? Then you could view it online or print it if you wanted to read it somewhere besides your computer.

Make the Monday morning meetings a video podcast that could be downloaded and viewed at home? Using iTunes it could set up to automatically download each week to your computer.

BH

I know this will be hard to believe, but not everyone has a computer at home, which is why the company nixes that idea..

I know this will be hard to believe, but not everyone has a computer at home, which is why the company nixes that idea..

I know a few people who do not have a computer at the house who are employed here... so paperless is really not an option .. yet..
For them tin cans and wire are their primary communication device.

I know a few people who do not have a computer at the house who are employed here... so paperless is really not an option .. yet..
For them tin cans and wire are their primary communication device.

My telephone is still at the top of the pole outside of my house. It's a hoot living with Eva though. :thumbsup:

1) I think they should drop the truck series and pick up a car in the Sprint Cup Series

5) Totally agree on the situation with the DR's. I throw away the second page all the time.

Fellas, the idea here was to submit ideas to the Lean Six Sigma Team.

I was simply suggesting that perhaps we may have some valuable suggestions which may in some small way help the cause. Debating the merits of these ideas wasn't the original intent. That should be left to the team. My initial ideas were just to get the ball rolling and hoping maybe someone would chime in and have better suggestions.

Perhaps this wasn't such a good idea. I thought it was at the time.

Rat :duh:

The only idea you need is to always use common sense. That's what I was told a long time ago when I started with this company. Has always worked for me until here lately. It's more important to follow the rules even if they are stupid and do not pertain to using common sense. You got too many people in charge of too many different factions of the company. Just use common sense. (I know, we've talked about this before.) That's my idea.

The only idea you need is to always use common sense. That's what I was told a long time ago when I started with this company. Has always worked for me until here lately. It's more important to follow the rules even if they are stupid and do not pertain to using common sense. You got too many people in charge of too many different factions of the company. Just use common sense. (I know, we've talked about this before.) That's my idea.

Noted.

Fellas, the idea here was to submit ideas to the Lean Six Sigma Team.

I was simply suggesting that perhaps we may have some valuable suggestions which may in some small way help the cause. Debating the merits of these ideas wasn't the original intent. That should be left to the team. My initial ideas were just to get the ball rolling and hoping maybe someone would chime in and have better suggestions.

Perhaps this wasn't such a good idea. I thought it was at the time.

Rat :duh:

In your 1st post you said "we could submit suggestions" so I took it as you were going to keep track of the good ideas so "WE COULD SUBMIT THEM".

How about having all SCM's, FOS's and dispatchers doing a "ride along" with a P&D DSR at least twice a year. That way they can see what goes on out on the street, and see that we aren't trying to get over on them, or stealing time. Plus they can "show" the driver just how easy it is to get "valid" ISWM's. For that matter they can also go on L/H runs and see what goes on at the FAC's too.